xisto Community
William91

More Credits For Your Post

I always thought that the credit count is too low, but I accept it gladly because if you don?t like the system, go find another server. Anyway it would be wonderful if you raised. Sometimes I also feel like if I were saying nothing really interesting just to make a proper paragraph and not just a one liner, when only one line could synthesize what I wanted to say. Not just for the credits, to be polite too, because it?s said that one-liners are not very welcome. And if a lot of people do the same, it?s no good for the forum, more words, but the same content... :(

I agree that if you don't like Xisto you should really go find somewhere else to get hosted. But I've only just started getting hosting and I've been busy with school/social stuff so I haven't had time to post here and I'm now in negative numbers. I try to write a lot but sometimes I just can't think of enough to say.. I'm one of those people who just gets straight to the point lol. Anyway. It would be nice if it was raised, even by a little bit.

Here is a simple question to all those that feel it hard to earn credits to keep your hosting going? If you were paying for the same type of service, someone else suggested $15 a month so we'll use that for this example, how much time would you need to spend to earn that $15?

Be assured, NOTHING is truly free. Everything requires some type of investment from you. For free hosting here, that investment is time. If you think you can earn $15 a month in less time that it takes you to earn the necessary credits to keep your account going here, then perhaps you should consider using a paid host. Xisto - Web Hosting.com has some very affordable plans if you prefer a paid host.

If you'd rather use the free hosting offered here, please accept the credit system as it is. Afterall, you did agree to do so when you signed up for your account, so please don't complain about it now. If the credit system does not suit you, then perhaps you should look at Xisto.net for free hosting with site banners or a paid host as I mentioned above.

I think that the credit system is fine. I have been here for over one year and I have always been able to keep my hosting up with just a single post a day in most cases. I also like the fact the credit system rewards people for making posts that are more meaningful so it cuts down on the short, useless posts you get on other forums.

i've only been here a few days and i have to disagree 100%. you have over 400 posts and even if it only gave you 1 day credit per post, you should have well over 1 years hosting. i average about 3 credits per post right now.

i don't like to write but when i do, i can talk anyones ear off. i try to be specific to a posted topic when i reply and i will rarely post 1 or two lines because if i did that, i probably didn't have anything important to respond about in the first place. i try to make my posts as informative as possible. rather than increasing the credits for posting, i would rather see more quality posts from people. if people can't make quality posts and having a hard time living with the rules here, make the choice not to be here. this topic in my opinion belongs in the venting forum as i know there was a similar discussion about this the other day.

i've only been here a short time and seen alot of whining about problems they don't like about Xisto. i just got hosted, i just made my dns changes and can access my control panel now. instead of being gratefull for what this place has to offer, some people have to complain. if you have to complain, this place isn't right for you and you should find another place that suits you. Xisto from my understanding does the best they can and they know if they could please everyone, they WOULD but they know like i know that it's impossible and you can't please evryone, but you can usually please the majority which is what they are doing.

instead of trap 17 changing, maybe some of the users should change. Xisto for the most part has been successfull so why change what is working? they welcome opinions which is good but they should NEVER welcome laziness.

everytime i hear postings like this, i hope they forgive me but i have a HUGE need to respond because they deserve credit where it's deserved. and people should have no problem with posting to get free hosting that would normally run at the CHEAPEST for what they offer, $15 a month. that adds up to $180 a year!!!

there are 365 days in a year so lets break it down to one post a day for one credit a day. what's 1 credit? it's about 2 1/2 lines. so if you are posting something of quality, you would be taking 5 minutes of your time to write 10-15 lines for 4-6 credits. if you do that, then all you really need to do is post once a week! BIG DEAL! if anything they should lower the credit system. not raise it. THAT would ensure and force people to make more quality posts.

that's my opinion and i'm sticking to it

I agree that members should perk up a bit (I probably shouldn't say this because I've been warned already for putting down members). I hear all these people complain that it's hard to get credits, and really have some sympathy for them because they must be either so out of this world with very limited minds, or have other things going on in their lives (school, work, etc.). I have little difficulty making posts and earning credits; I have not been suspended even once.
I think Opaque's credit system is very fair. Even after I got my hosting, I did not experience any more difficulty earning credits than before getting hosted. The only thing I would like from it would be to provide a credit counter on every page of the site.
I've found that by making a post about 4 lines long, I can earn enough credits. If you ever need something to talk about, just click the "View New Posts" link on the top of every page.

I feel bad for you. Who devised this system anyways? It appears a little complex with its rating and counting. And how it lowers per post when you reach high numbers. It must have taken a long time to write the scripting for this.

The person who wrote the credit system module was OpaQue, the admin of this forum, and the owner of Xisto Corporation. Sure it's complex, using a top-secret rating algorithm to determine the amount of credits per post. I'm not totaly sure of OpaQue's technical knowledge, but I could imagine it took a while (few weeks or months) to write the code for it.

My credits started to drop with every post I make!! I just changed my signature (add a link to my site to it). After replying to someones post I lost about 4 credits! I am not sure about this one. I'm afraid to post. I'm sure I have not violated the TOS, and what did that happen. I hope credits will rise after this one...EDIT: It back to normal now :(

Edited by ciroxyz (see edit history)

This is NOT the fariest credit system. A site called clubhost city just requires you to make a certain number of posts monthly. you have to make 31 credits here to last for a month but in clubhost only about 10 posts.

That sounds really scary, perhaps the script just got reversed instead.

My credits started to drop with every post I make!! I just changed my signature (add a link to my site to it).
After replying to someones post I lost about 4 credits! I am not sure about this one. I'm afraid to post. I'm sure I have not violated the TOS, and what did that happen.

I hope credits will rise after this one...

EDIT: It back to normal now :(

This is NOT the fariest credit system. A site called clubhost city just requires you to make a certain number of posts monthly. you have to make 31 credits here to last for a month but in clubhost only about 10 posts.

I have to disagree with you on that one William, it all depends on how many options you recieve. If this place is so bad, why are you using this hosting service, if clubhost city is so much better, why are you bothering with this on?

I looked at Clubhost City, here are some of the restrictions contained in their TOS. I don't believe Xisto has any restrictions like these.

The following file types are forbidden on FREE hosting accounts: .EXE, .SIT, .CAB, .RAR, .WMA, .MP3, .WAV, .RM, .RAM, .RA, .MOV, .QT, .AVI, MP3, AU, BMP, .TGA and any other file format that Clubhost City Hosting deems usage restricted on FREE hosted accounts.

Flash based games are forbidden on all FREE web hosting accounts.

We reserve the right to refuse, cancel, or suspend service at our sole discretion. All web hosting applicants will be subject to a 15 year personal background investigation, criminal history review, and pschological profile. Additionally, to give everyone a fair chance at receiving a FREE hosted account, we have reserved a specific number of accounts reserved for each geographic region, once those account slots have been filled, we may close applications to specific geographic regions. Currently China, Korea, and Russia are closed areas. Age restrictions also apply.

Minimum age for web hosting is 16 and the minimum for forum membership is 14 years old.

While they offer more space and bandwidth and similar cPanel features with their free accounts, I wonder how long they can maintain these services, the forums appear to have been active for less than 12 months. There appears to be no advertising in the forums and they say there is no advertising on the free hosting sites. How do they generate revenue to keep the free hosting going? It does not seem to me like a sustainable venture, at least with Xisto at does appear to be sustainable giving me confidence that they will be offering free hosting for quite some time to come.

In the end, if you think you would be happier at Clubhost, then go there. It's as simple as that.

Thank you for looking up that information Avalon. Trap 17 it appears does not have any restriction on file type. I truly do not see where you can base your unsatisfaction William, if you can disprove this i will happily take back my comments. Other than that i actually don't see a website with better hosting than Trap 17.

I think you've noticed what others have to say about clubhost and the services!
However, I would like to tell you that it depends all the way from service to service and according to you other hosts can be better! But for most of us...This host rocks!
To tell you...how fair this credit script is...I'll give you an example...I've earned 7 credits in one single post and If i start writing what I wrote in that...I'll be making more than 31 credits in just 5 posts! now what do you think...where is a better deal.....10 posts or 5 posts! :(
I'll also tell you...as avalon pointed out....this place is going for almost 2 years! so automatically the turst and reliability moves towards this host!

Hey mayank, how?s it going. Anyways, yes, this server is reliable in the sense that is has been running for quite some time now. Trap 17 is probably the most reliable hosting and forum site I know. It was actually by a long chain that I found it. It first started with Kings of Chaos and then my friend started an Army System site, somehow people from ipbgaming got there and then I found the ipbgaming link in their site. So I moved on to there, and finally I found trap 17 because of what I heard from the moderators there. Well, to make things simple, if you don?t like the credit system then you don?t have to use the service, I don?t even see why we need this topic at all. It?s pretty hard to find good free webhosting, don?t complain if your too lazy to post.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Please stay within the topic. We do not encourage replies going off topic.

True...every free hosting service has their own system on how members can stay active in the community, but not everyone can keep up the posting to build up 500 credits in a short span of time.

I've found that by making a post about 4 lines long, I can earn enough credits. If you ever need something to talk about, just click the "View New Posts" link on the top of every page.

you can do that, or what i do usually is scroll down to the very bottom and view "latest activity" and it shows exactly the threads i might be interested posting in.

now given, if you want more credits, you need quality posts, but i see this place as not just a place to post, but a community where i post 1-2 line posts sometimes that has no content because that as well is a form of communication. i know i wont get any credits for it, but it's just like the chat box if you have something really quick to say or point out.

Xisto offers something that yahoo and hotmail offered a long time ago. instead of email, it's webhosting. hotmail and yahoo had restrictions that you had to abide by to keep your email account. BOTH still tell you to log on once a month or your account will be deleted.

i would like to see more quality posts myself. even my fiance mentioned it. i feel to get more quality posts you need to lower the credit system. if you do this, the lazy users will disapear and there will be more quality posts BUT Xisto will lose a big chunk of users and lose their page views and click throughs and potential customers for paid hosting. if they increased posting credits, they would increase their user base, thus making more money in the areas i mentioned BUT the post quality would go down.

any user who comes here has to see that there is a middle ground. a compromise where making money and quality posts balance out. and i feel this has been done here

what i WOULD like to see is the people making the more quality posts be recognized and rewarded because it's THOSE people that that spend more of their time making Xisto a quality place to be. NOT just for the webhosting, but for the forums itself. i haven't been here all that long, but long enough to know who is here all the time, making quality posts and helping people. these people don't do it for the credits, they do it because they care. i see it when they start helping others through email or im's. it's those people that keep others coming back. so in the future, i would like to see something like that implimented. it will also encourage others to follow suit and be more productive, making this an even better place. so if i were to make ANY suggestion, THAT would be it but i'm also just happy with the way things are now and i have no complaints.

whoever suggested being compensated more for being a quality member here, i agree with you 100%

then why have you been posting here (about 25 times now) when you can be there? there must be something Xisto offers that the other place doesn't? HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

For some reason, I'd have to say that the system for credits is pretty fair. It's better than having a few users with many posts with just a few words, 1 or 2 sentences.. or 1 word replies such as "LOL", or "ROFLMAO". Easily gives users more motivation to post a bit more than what has been mentioned so many times.