xisto Community
Kubi

June 6th 2006 - The Devils Number Possibly the end of the world?

Stop rabbiting on about 666. It was recently found that the number 666 is actually supposed to be 616. Numbers are numbers, some have meaning, some don't, most have meanings that humans have placed on them like the number 13 being unlucky - the number 13 was actually a LUCKY number back in the Celt's days (they had a 13 month calender) but then the Catholics came along and had this wonderful plan to destroy and absorb their beliefs so they made the number 13 unlucky, like Christmas was ripped of the Celtic Winter Solstice or Imbolc which the Catholics turned into St Brigid's Day (there was no St Brigid, she was made up from the Celtic goddess Brighit). Like caboking05 said, numbers and time are relative and arbitrary.

While it is interesting to read about superstitions like these and look at the some of the coincidences more carefully, we do still have to remember that that is just what they are: superstitions. A date does not signify anything concrete, it is more of a label for the day's events. There have been so many predictions of the world coming to an end and all, ever since the year of 2000. But there are things that happen and have been happening ever since the world came to be that we never hear about and in many cases those events are worse and more catostraphic than those that we hear of in the news. What I'm just trying to say is that I truly hope that all of you don't take these things so seriously that you let it change the natural course of your life.

well, I'm not gonna comment on the possibility or plausibility of this theory.But I hope not. It's the last day of my final exams...so I'm finishing my degree on that day.Hopefully, I'll have a chance to enjoy life after uni, graduation and stuff before :(

For goodness sake, this is such a load of crap. You all sound like a bunch of doomsday pessimists, all "doom and gloom" like those Dodo birds in Ice Age - "Doom and gloom... doom and gloom... doom and gloom..." It's just a number! Stop reading into it.

all this date and number mumbo jumbo sounds incredibly stupid to me. does the end of the world really have anything to do with how christians think it will. not everyone is christian, so how can people just go by thikning that these things apply to everyone? :T i'm not dissing christians or anything, its just that it really is brought overboard with situations like this.

The devil's number is NOT 666!! It is 616!! So any and all events etc associated with the number 666 are complete crap and purely coincidental. Get with the program people.

Actually, the devils number HAS been accepted as 666, true, that the earliest recording of the devil's number WAS 616, but is now 666

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

all this date and number mumbo jumbo sounds incredibly stupid to me. does the end of the world really have anything to do with how christians think it will. not everyone is christian, so how can people just go by thikning that these things apply to everyone? :T i'm not dissing christians or anything, its just that it really is brought overboard with situations like this.

Well, technically I'm not christian, I'm "Unsure of gods existance". I've one of those people who has to see something to believe it.

It was? Yes and just like Jesus was crucified through the palm of his hands despite the the fact that the Romans always drove nails through the wrists. Just because a whole lot of people believe something to be one way doesn't make it accurate.

"This is a very nice piece to find," Dr. Aitken said. "Scholars have argued for a long time over this, and it now seems that 616 was the original number of the beast."

Where more conventional versions of the Bible give 666 as the "number of the beast," or the sign of the anti-Christ whose coming is predicted in the book's apocalyptic verses, the older version uses the Greek letters signifying 616."This is very early confirmation of that number, earlier than any other text we've found of that passage," Dr. Aitken said. "It's probably about 100 years before any other version."

Elijah Dann, a professor of philosophy and religion at the University of Toronto, said the new number is unlikely to make a dent in the popularity of 666."Otherwise, a lot of sermons would have to be changed and a lot of movies rewritten," he said with a laugh. "There's always someone with an active imagination who can put another interpretation on it.
"It just shows you that when you study something as cryptic and mystic as the Book of Revelation there's an almost unlimited number of interpretations."
The book is thought to have been written by the disciple John and according to the King James Bible, the traditional translation of the passage reads: "Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."
But Dr. Aitken said that translation was drawn from much later versions of the New Testament than the fragment found in Oxyrhynchus. "When we're talking about the early biblical texts, we're always talking about copies and they are copies made, at best, 150 to 200 years after [the original] was written," she said.
"They can have mistakes in the copying, changes for political or theological reasons ... it's like a detective story piecing it all together."
Dr. Aitken said, however, that scholars now believe the number in question has very little to do the devil. It was actually a complicated numerical riddle in Greek, meant to represent someone's name, she said.
"It's a number puzzle -- the majority opinion seems to be that it refers to [the Roman emperor] Nero."

As I said, the number is 616, not 666 and certainly not 666 because some idiots copied it or interpreted it wrong and now a whole lot of people want it to be that way.

Full article here (And yes I do know that it is a christian website but the article was orginally from the National Post which no longer has the article up.)

Dear Everyone, This is a very intresting topic. However, the only thing that truly scares me about this topic is how much some of you are "scaring" yourselves. Let me fill some of you in on some of what I call "general information". First off, it states in the bible 6-6-6 or for the sake of argument 6-1-6 is a man (Satan) not a date. So tell me some of you, how possibly can this symbolize the end of the world? Yes, I understand what you mean but it would make more sense it even being June 6th 6 before christ. For all of you that are catholic/christian god made the world in seven days. So it would make more sense for Satan to try to destroy it during that time. Second, it is VERY un-clear what the exact day is. To my understanding it is 666 for it was later changed from 616. Thus, 616 has already happened if you STRONGLY believe in the first people who made the origainal bible. It's kind of hard to be scared if it already happened. It's possible also that it was during the first day of the making of the earth, that good and evil fought. I don't believe that is explained in the bible. Third, you all agree that sometimes coicidences happen. What some of you,(which I believe is very poor research) concluded that 9/11 aka 911 (emergancy number telephone) was a sign. I think this was just a tragety on which the terrorist planned to make the U.S scared. Let's put the peices together, why would they pick that specific day and then now say they have nucleur bombs (a month or so) before the "so called" END OF THE WORLD? I'm sure some of you ones who have done research have already figured this out. Fourth, many ones have argued over numbers. Let's get this straight. 777 mean god/jesus not 999. Yes, evil likes to turn numbers but that would mean good would have to be 666 which is clearly I think wrong because 666 means Satan. Also, did it ever cross your mind that 666 is the good number and evil flips it to be 999 thats an evil date?!!! Further more, we go back once more till' before Christ and realize that Adam and Eve were created and (I don't go to church so excuse me if this is wron) but Satan persuated (something like that) Adam and Eve with the apple. :lol: Fifth, if you don't stop worrying about this topic (for those who do) if the end of the world is REALLY REALLY comming you won't be able to enjoy life. My goodness children, you will only have a month and a little more than a half. And that you spent worrying. Enjoy life, go on spring break, go to a church, and live life! Thank-you (the World Will End Eventually But It Could End Any Day)

Edited by J-Lynn (see edit history)

There is no way it'll happen this June, on the 6th, of this year. Cause people think it will. The Bible says, it'll come like a theif. Meaning you'll never know when it'll happen. It'll happen when you least expect it to. Meaning, the whole world may have to be not thinking about it at one specific time, then the chances of it happening will increase. All predictions so far have been false. And yes the Bible does state the devil's number is 666, cause that's how many of his people will follow him, or something. So far, i have failed to have read God's number. Besides 144,000. I can understand why people would think it's 777, cause the number 7 relates to a lot of things (number of deadly sins, number of punishments, etc). And since the devil's number is 3 numbers, so must be God's. Which is kinda silly, in a way, cause that would mean God is only 111 more better than the devil, if you look at it that way. Which is why 144,000 would be a better number. Since, it's the amount of God's people (excluding the gentiles).

Edited by truefusion (see edit history)

There is no way it'll happen this June, on the 6th, of this year. Cause people think it will. The Bible says, it'll come like a theif. Meaning you'll never know when it'll happen. It'll happen when you least expect it to. Meaning, the whole world may have to be not thinking about it at one specific time, then the chances of it happening will increase. All predictions so far have been false. And yes the Bible does state the devil's number is 666, cause that's how many of his people will follow him, or something. So far, i have failed to have read God's number. Besides 144,000. I can understand why people would think it's 777, cause the number 7 relates to a lot of things (number of deadly sins, number of punishments, etc). And since the devil's number is 3 numbers, so must be God's. Which is kinda silly, in a way, cause that would mean God is only 111 more better than the devil, if you look at it that way. Which is why 144,000 would be a better number. Since, it's the amount of God's people (excluding the gentiles).

Yes, it does quote it will come like a theif. However, it shoes you have NOT DETAILED RESEARCH IT Because.... You put quote on qutoe "the whole world may have to be not thinking about it at one specific time, then the chances of it happening will increase." I also already explained above, it is extremely unlikely it will happen on June 6th. However, it could, but there is a very small chance given what you just said and my research in the reply above yours. :lol: To make a statement like that you need to back-track and reads other peoples opinions. This will allow you to make a fairly good piece.