xisto Community
Albus Dumbledore

Mobile Phone Design Flip Vs Non-flip which design is your choice?

I've got a flip phone as well. Actually, it does more than flip; you can turn it (screen facing out) so that it allows you to hold the phone like a point-and-shoot camera when you take a picture. Really neat.

I currently have Motorola SLVR and it is really great. I do not know how good a flip one can be but excluding Motorola RAZR or KRZR all the flip phones are pretty fat and heavy. But like already stated flip phones have the advantages of protection of screen and like numbers being dialed. The number thing and the screen can be avoided with the keypad lock which Nokia has but im not sure if Motorola has and the screen can always get a cover to keep distance from your pocket and phone screen. Overall i need to check both the models to decide but currently i love my cellie and planning to buy a RAZR soon or maybe Nokia N73.

Well in my opinion, non-flip ones are better bcuz they are more safer than flip ones, bcuz u might break ur flip mobile phone into two pieces! Now a days slide phones are also coming and are reliable as well!

Yeah, I agree, Flip phones are harder to get the screen scratched up because they arent usually exposed, and there also so thin, compared to the standard phones, there thiner, usually, and smaller. So yeah, take the Sanyo Katana, or the Razr for expample, very slick and very practical.

I always loved candybar phones better than flip phones probably because they're a lot less work and the last flip phone I had had been dropped once and the wire connecting the phone to the screen snapped. I dropped my candybar phone several times and nothing happened to it.

I prefer slide-open phones. The LG8500 (Chocolate) has an automatic keylock when the phone is closed or when you're in a call.I used to have a flip-open phone, but I began to notice little things going wrong with it, all directly related to the wiring that's inside the hinge themselves.It's personal preference. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages, but for me, I'll take a slide-open over a flip-open anyday.

Yeah flip phones rock, i hate the non flip phones they really look cheap and ugly. They flip phones also havea longer battery cause you are not looisng battery while you filp them with the non flip phones if you keep it on for a long time then the battery will die on oyu and cause trobules so yeah

i had a razor but then i traded it in and got a chocolate phone it does not flip it slides out i like it better than my razor. Even thou it has a mp3 my razor was turned in to a mp3 with all the songs i had in there. LOL

At the moment I have a non-flip phone. I think it's okay but phones can always be better. My uncle has a new flash phone, it isn't flip but it's still great. I don't think it matters that much weither it flips or not, although I would prefer a filp phone to a non-flip phone just because I think they look better.I can't really see your point with the keylocking, because on most phones (mine included) you can set it to automatically lock after a number of seconds/minutes.

You can not take two ends of my phone, apply pressure, and rip it into two separate peices.

Lol good point, I have a non-flip phone at the moment, the k750i. Pretty standard as you all know.
I would actually go with a flip phone When I need to change my current one.
Flip Phones:
(Usually) A lot more stylish than the normal, single block phones that everyone has.
They are convenient in that they flip up (and that makes you look cool if you can do the proper flick with the wrist!!!
The buttons don't get pushed - Not an issue for me as I don't tend to get this problem when the phone is in my pocket..

(although on most of the flip phones they have the camera button on the side. Big mistake. Many, many people have problems with this, just getting tapped constantly when in a pocket and having thousands of blank, black photos filling up the memory on the phone.
Unfortunately they do tend to be thicker, as they have to cram everything into a smaller vertical space, so that when unfolded it doesn't look like the eiffel tower... This means that they do bulge in your pocket a bit more :lol:
I know someone will now reply saying "but the motorola is very thin". Yes this is exactly my point.
Because they had to make it thin, they had to expand it upwards and outwards instead. This makes it the same width and height as a normal, non flip phone that is actually about the same width. And with a normal phone, as said by rejected, they can't snap in half anywhere near as easily as your average flip phone. and due to the connections running through the hinge, standard phones tend to last much longer.

The convenience is pretty close to, for example, say you took it out of your pocket to check something (e.g. messages or time) with a normal phone you could just look at the screen (and then begin typing straaight away if needs be)
but ... with a flip phone you have to take it out, unflip it and look again on the more detailed screen to check what the message actually said, (rather than just seeing you had a logo for messages on the outer screen) Only then can you

Although it may seem easier to those people with a flip phone, because they like it, in the long run it actually isn't. Normal phone gets it for convenience and thickness control.

So its pretty close anyway, and just down to personal choice. If you want one that lasts get a normal phone. If you want one that looks slightly better, get a flip phone.

I used to have a flip phone but the ribbon connected to the main board started to have a dodgy connection, my choice of phones would have to be either a NON-flip or a slider phone.

I would definitely prefer flip phones. Here are a few reasons,a) Stylish:) Easier to use c) More screen aread) Bigger keypadse) Small features like end call while flip is closed and answer call while flip is opened makes life easier for lazy guys like mef) Swivel screen (in few models)Few reasons, why i would not prefer it :a) Flip susceptible for mechanical damage:) Probably costlierA quick tip or a piece of advise for guys who are planning to buy a flip phone. Try purchasing motorola phones, if you are planning for a flip model. Their quality seems to be too good !!