xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wild20

A Suggestion To All Mods And Admins. A suggestion.

Hey guys. As some of the mods may know (Jlhaslip and Mayank among others), I report a fair amount of posts and users. And I have a suggestion, since this is how I find this stuff. If you see a new member with under 75 posts, that has posted a topic UNDER 50-70 characters, you need to review all of his posts. I have caught three members within two days by doing this. And I will continue to do this.The reason is these people tend to have the nasty habit of posting consistently short posts. And although it may seem innocent on some of the short topic posts, I soon find out by reviewing their posts that they have quite a long record of this. Basically contributing nothing but one liners to this forum. Just a suggestion to help you guys catch more spammers. Thanks.

Just want to say I also see the same thing. You can always tell which of the new members haven't read the Xisto ReadME. It seems that sooner or later you will have to make them pass a test before they can start posting in the forums. I don't think it is just topic starting either. I wouldn't go after them though after just one bad post but if you see a couple then I would keep an eye on them. That is sort of what the report button is for too so we can help you out.

Us mods are.. lazy per say, but reviewing EVERY SINGLE post less then 60 characters would take an EXRTEMELY long time.

1) A lot of members make good posts under this amount

2) I see 50+ new members sign up each day, leaving a lot of posts to sort through, we already have a lot to do as is with all the reports coming in.

3) You say, if they haveundersay 60-70 posts, monitor them, well people with less then 10 posts look like promising members of the site.

So not the sound negetive, this idea is good, but we have know way of knowing who has less then 70 posts unless we monitor them individually. Anyways, when a report is made, the moderators usually make the rightdisition on what to do. I think the report systems works fine, just keep reporting and we'll keep getting to them.

lol Look who's talking. Besides it has to be less than 25 characters in which it is that too but that isn't the point. :) It is how informative it is, besides he is the super duper admin who created the forums. I don't think you can warn the root admin.

lol Look who's talking.  Besides it has to be less than 25 characters in which it is that too but that isn't the point.  :)  It is how informative it is, besides he is the super duper admin who created the forums.  I don't think you can warn the root admin.

219271[/snapback]

It's really hard for me to believe that this guy still isn't an admin. He's got the stuff to be a mod and hes on almost 24/7. i have never seen anybody more active than him. but this is good. it IS hard to check every post. reporting is easier.

Wow. Doesn't take long to get responses. :) No I know it would take a long time. What I am saying is that is you see a member that has made a bad post that is less then 70 CHARACTERS and has only a few POSTS, then go look at his post. I don't mean go out there and hunt for them. But they are getting away with it. And I think it is untollerable when I see a person with 50 posts that hasn't gotten caught and is making one liners the whole time. I think one-liners should carry a verbal warn before a level raise. But then, I think you should drop the hammer. I am not at all saying you guys are doing a bad job. I know your work is hard. But if you want my opinion, a few extra mods (plenoptic) might be in order :PThis is just a suggestion when you do see these kind of posts. I think you should be even more strict if you see one liners with a person in the AS because you get so many credits for each post. And I know how many because I use to play, although it may have changed. I will continue to report, and if you want to know the truth, I actually go out and hunt for these members. I already have two in my sights. :P

Wild the Xisto ReadMe says that a good post is 25 words long or I believe it sayd 150 characters so I think 50-70 words is ok as long as it gives their point of view clearly or explains the whole topic the way it should be explained. I do see a bit of that going around there where guys are posting that has nothing to do with the topic and that is why I report it but the mods do the best they can.

What im wondering at the moment is what do you guys want to do with people that have lets say a "short post" posting habbit. I think we should be welcome to new members as they help bring content to Xisto and maybe encourage them now and then to post a bit longer when replying in a topic or something like that. Try to teach people not to make new topics with just one line or something like that. Many people arnt that experienced with going on forums and writing what they have to say in a manner that is constructive and not just a one-liner because also most other forums dont care about how long the post is they just want conversation and thats what these people are used to. If you guys are thinking we should "weed out" these members with a consitent short post histroy Xisto would loose many many of its members. Im sure the a majority of the posts made on this site wouldent qualify as "good post" for you. Also Plenoptic i hope you know that 150 characters is NOT 50-70 words. and going by 4 characters per word on average (which is proabably below the real average) your going to 200-280 charaters per post at minimum as you say which i hope you know is a lot.

To all you folks concerned about the short post syndrome:Yes, the preferred post length as stated elsewhere is a min 25 words. Personally, I don't count the words or the actual character count. I believe 'content' is more valuable. And I also know that the real problem most of the short posters are going to have is when the application for hosting gets submitted, they won't be on the approved list.

I Just think that a topic doesn't need to have much words or sentences because you can create a topic with just one simple question or whatever, the thing is that it's got to be an inteligente topic and with an interesting subject.Of course, normally, for you to spice up the things a litle bit, you should write down more to "help" or "inspire" others to reply, but, i don't think that should be a rule.I really beleave that you just can't judge someone's topic just because you THINK something is wrong according to your beleaves, in that case, BEFORE you judge (i mean, BEFORE you report a topic), you should reply to that same topic and ask the member why he made a short topic and also explain him why you think you have to report it.If you do that, perhaps the new members will learn something, and not signing out and never come here again because someone is reporting their topics without even saying something.This is a far more complex subject then you might think, you're an active member but don't forget the litle things like i've explained above, that's the difference between the ones that really want to help of the others that just want to rise up or just simply contribute but not contributing all the way, if you know what i mean.

You need a pretty decent ammount of posts to judge people on. Because some people start off posting LONG messages, and then get lazy later and beging to spam...so say they made half of their messages long, while the rest are short. But because they made their long posts first they appear to be a member who does not spam. Its the same for those who start off by writing not very long replies, and then their replies get longer...its really not a fair judgement in my opinion. Also sometimes its not how long the message is, it matters what the content is. I mean anyone (and a lot of people do :) ) write long boring replies, that have absolutely NO point...that is still spam. While sometimes you cant really write much about a topic, but you want to give your opinion. This is spam "Yeah i agree with you"Not Spam "I agree with you, because_______________________" I suppose its a matter of opinion too. Each member, and each mod is going to have their idea of what spam is...so it really has to fall on whoever sees the post and deals with it.As for the suggestion of mods, i think its better to have more helpful members then it is to have mods. I understand the Mod/Member ratio isnt exactly "even" but the biggest problems forums have is they hire too many mods. I think the mod/member ratio is good now. Everytime i come on there is atleast one mod on, and i think that works because you dont need 20 mods on every second of the day.

Let me clear this up for the LAST time! I said 50-70 characters! Not words. Thanks. I am just saying. I think that it would be easier for mods to catch repeat post spammers by seeing if the message is long. For instance, I saw one that said, "You are wierd". I thought, "yup, got one right here". Went to his posts, and sure enough, I found a list that was quite long of short, no-sense posts that the mods hadn't caught. Why? Because most posts like that are ignored because they look harmless and to an extent, fine. But you HAVE to look if the person is doing this just to earn credits. Content is always the first choice, but you need to look a little farther. Just saying.And Jim, you are right. They won't pass inspection :) I am actually saying this to keep the unwanted posts out anyway.JasperIk:Yes, people do start to get lazy. And that is why if I catch a member that has started to "ease of" quality posting, I report them.Like I said, the mods and admins are doing a great job. I am not saying there even needs to be improvement. As a matter a fact, I will be the first to back up any mod on the line. Just trying to make their job easier.