xisto Community
zootycoongold

Winrar Or Winzip?

Well, I've always used winrar and it worked for everything very nice plus it is fast. Although I have to say that now that i use mac leopard, zips are unzipped a lot faster with the system-unzipper or betterzip...I'd go for winrar..

Both are fine, but I use WinAce and it works nicely. Also, it's very easy to use. The free trial version you can get online can be used forever, although it will keep asking you to register you don't have to. Between Winrar and Winzip I'd prefer Winzip, but it stops working after 30 days...

winrar wins hands down... its biggest advantage... most things u download from a torrent or rapidshare are in .rar format.it has many features... like splitting a file into parts,password protecting,self extractor,creating silent install,it also opens .iso files,and many more....so still any doubts!!!

winrar wins hands down... its biggest advantage... most things u download from a torrent or rapidshare are in .rar format.

it has many features... like

splitting a file into parts,

password protecting,

self extractor,

creating silent install,

it also opens .iso files,

and many more....

so still any doubts!!!

Winzip opens .rar files too.

I use a different program known as "ALZip".

Let's do a relative comparison:

ALZip supports a whopping 36 file formats (including its own and all the formats that WinRar works with), while WinRar only works with 14.

ALZip is free, and has no Pro version, WinRar is shareware, for 40 days, and costs $29.99 to buy. (Remember that ALZip actually wins in this category, and that I consider a no-premium version to be better.)

ALZip has no maximum file size, WinRar has a maximum of 2^63 bytes. No one wins here, since there are no archive files that are 2^63 (9,223,372,036,854,775,808) bytes in size.

ALZip can create 8 file formats; WinRar can only create .rar files.

Both have spanned-archive capabilities.

Both have one tiny ad on the top-right corner. (Having an ad is BAD. It's a tie.)

Both have password-protection capabilities.

I guess there are no payoffs for ALZip either. So it wins, hands down as well.

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)

i use winrar and also prefer it cause it's good and also support both compression extensions zip and rar. also where i know rar compression is good as compared to zip i'm not pretty suer but i heared for many that rar extensions is pretty good.

Winrar is the best because its simple to navigate through its interface and moreover it can open a lot of file types including .gz,.7z,.iso ........many more and also it can open .zip files so its better to use winrar than winzip.You can even rename your .jar or many theme files to .rar files and then open in winrar and see its contentsSo its clear than winrar is far better than winzipAll thanks to "alexandar Rohshal" for a making such a good utility. :lol:

Eh, I dunno, I just use Ultimate Zip sine it handles just bout ALL compressed file formats, very handy! From what I've heard, WinRAR can handle ZIP files, but WinZIP can only handle ZIP, so I guess WinRAR is better. HOWEVER, I always use ZIP files, because WinZIP is a more common one than WinRAR because it comes with WinXP and above, so not everyone has WinRAR, that way EVERYONE can download my files, and not just someone with WinRAR. :lol:

Eh, I dunno, I just use Ultimate Zip sine it handles just bout ALL compressed file formats, very handy! From what I've heard, WinRAR can handle ZIP files, but WinZIP can only handle ZIP, so I guess WinRAR is better. HOWEVER, I always use ZIP files, because WinZIP is a more common one than WinRAR because it comes with WinXP and above, so not everyone has WinRAR, that way EVERYONE can download my files, and not just someone with WinRAR. :lol:

No, Winzip can handle RAR files.

Let's do another comparison between ALZip and Ultimate Zip:

UltimateZip handles 17 file formats, while ALZip handles 36.

UltimateZip writes 12 file formats, while ALZip writes to 8.

Both have virus scanner integration.

Both have password protection and encryption.

Both have backup capabilities (I think, I'm not sure.)

Both are free.

Both have command-line interfaces.

Both have commenting.

Both have "wizards", but ALZip's is just one dialog.

Both can create SFX files.

ALZip has its own format...

Well, I guess they're pretty much equally matched. I'd recommend choosing one based on your preference.

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)

Well i for one think that alzip does good enough when it comes to opening everything you need opened... ofcourse if youre a programmer youll need something that can open as much as it does. but most ppl only need something like winrar. i would suggest alzip to anyone but lets face it , not everyone needs something like that.

Well i for one think that alzip does good enough when it comes to opening everything you need opened... ofcourse if youre a programmer youll need something that can open as much as it does. but most ppl only need something like winrar. i would suggest alzip to anyone but lets face it , not everyone needs something like that.

There's also the fact that it runs faster, and has a lot of different options.

Never tried AlZIP, sounds useful... But I only really use ZIP for compressing my files, and I only usually need to unzip ZIPs and RARs, with the occasional TAR, and in rare instances, 7z. So anyway, I don't really see a need to get a new unzipper when the one I have does everything I need it to... Of course, one could say the same about IE to Firefox, is this case comparable to that? :lol: Hm, I didn't know WinZIP could do RAR files, is it different from the one built into Windows XP and Vista? :P

Never tried AlZIP, sounds useful... But I only really use ZIP for compressing my files, and I only usually need to unzip ZIPs and RARs, with the occasional TAR, and in rare instances, 7z. So anyway, I don't really see a need to get a new unzipper when the one I have does everything I need it to... Of course, one could say the same about IE to Firefox, is this case comparable to that? :lol:
Hm, I didn't know WinZIP could do RAR files, is it different from the one built into Windows XP and Vista? :P

Well, Yes. It's the one that only has a 90-day evaluation period, and you can get it off winzip.com.