xisto Community
zootycoongold

Winrar Or Winzip?

WinRar better than WinZip? Who are they?Why use them when you have 7-zip? With 7-zip you can zip em and un zip em all you wantand just keep zipping along real good. Problems with tar? You don't know how luck you are with 7-zip. 7-zip is free too. Haven't got a clue? Don't know what to do? Use 7-zip!

I don't use either, I prefer Alzip which works great, unzips even rar files and IT'S FREE! You can get it from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. It even has a shell for your o.s. It's as good as Winzip in my opinion, only you can't create a self extracting file with your own icon, I think. Give it a try.

I use both of winzip and winrar,sometimes i use 7-zip,hehe:)Because winzip is a usual way of compressing files ,for instance,when people send mail and want attach something,they first using winzip.Sometime,i send something to my friend and using winrar , compressing a '.rar' file as the attachment,when they receive the mail,they often ask me how to unpack it!!!So,i think the zip file is more common,and more people will choose zip file while they compress something.So,winzip is the common one,but i was like winrar more,because winrar is more powerful and could set password to protect my rar files,hehe:)Do you think so?

Winzip is for corporates -Winrar is for piratesWinrar Or Winzip?

WinZip is the favourite utility of Corporate users, you get features like - CD/DVD Burning ,Integrated FTP upload, JPG preview, which are & will never be available in WinRAR.I am saying this because WinZip is supported by a company-WinZip Inc. (recently bought by Corel) while WinRAR is maintained by a single Author.Last year WinZip a profit of $22 Million which tells its success story.It depends on what features you want, if you are a corporate buyer , surely go for WinZip, if not try 7Zip, Alzip, PowerArchiver ,TUGZip etc. Before buying WinRAR or any other.Personally I don't keep my files in RAR format.It is not helpful if you try to open your file on any other PC , better to keep in Zip format.I can be opened using Windows Zip Folders Utility or any other free program.

-reply by Ravi Gautam

As I know Winrar is better than Winzip and Winrar can create RAR archives..But personally I use 7-zip and am happy with it, it works well, it can extract RAR files, but it can't compress RAR files, but why use RAR when you can use something else.. ;]