xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
moldboy

Gmail Outrage Message clipping

Guess what I just found out, if you have a message to long for gmail to read it will be clipped, cut off, unretrevable in HTML format. Rather you have to read through the "Origional Message" which if you recieve html newsletters is just a pain.

I use my gmail account for form filling out stuff because gmail has a quite good spam blocker. Then I use hotmail for anything else. If you want to have newsletters, just sign up for another email like yahoo or hotmail and sign up for newsletters using those email addresses.

Same here. I use Gmail only for perspnal use. I use yahoo which has plenty of storage for newsletters if you delete them every once in a while. Gmail is great for letters that are small. Like family. But I would not suggest anyone use it for longer messages. You can also get a program for you computer that makes it a web hard drive stored in email format.

Same here.  I use Gmail only for perspnal use.  I use yahoo which has plenty of storage for newsletters if you delete them every once in a while.  Gmail is great for letters that are small.  Like family.  But I would not suggest anyone use it for longer messages.  You can also get a program for you computer that makes it a web hard drive stored in email format.

186377[/snapback]

Have a look here : http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

eh? so you mean that the gmail web interface clips long messages?Would anyone like to tell if it also clips messages that a mail client (Thunderbird) pulls from gmail over POP3?

I am getting scared now because I just signed up for a gmail account. So someone said it would be wise to use gmail for only my personal emails and yahooo for everything else. But i don't get it I thought gmail said they have a boat load of storage so u can save every and anything in gmail.

haven't experienced such trouble with gmail. my account is setup to send and receive html mails, and an html email stays readable even after a continuous send-and-reply emailing of correspondences with my contacts. me and my contacts don't see the need to edit out previous train of emails (which helps, as a reference for our email conversations), so you can just imagine that one email subject sent-and-received in html between us turns out to be very, very long.

but fortunately, no unnecessary clipping of the messages occur which is rendered unreadable in gmail. and i would suppose, that even for newsletters in html, our email exchanges would be much much longer than those newsletters, so i'm really at a lost if it is really gmail's fault.

anyway, moldboy, if you are quite sure it is due to gmail, you should submit a report to them for possible solutions.

hahahahaha i figured it was to go to be true about having a gmail account, put yeah i just use mine to fill out stuff and other spam stuff.

Oh no trust me it is a Gmail issue, and they are aware of it, it is to keep loading times to a minimal, however if my message were to long, and like I said it is a newsletter, then all the unsubscribe stuff is at the bottom, to read it you must view the origional message, but in the case of most newsletters you then have to sort through a mess of html, to find what you want, really not convienant.
From the Gmail Help Center

To ensure that messages load quickly, Gmail displays only a portion of the text of long messages. Here's how to read the full text of a clipped message:
1. Log in to your Gmail account.
2. Open the clipped message.
3. Click 'More Options.'
4. Click 'Show Original.'

Hmm well personally i use Gmail for my personal email and newsletters that i enjoy reading. However, i have never had a newsletter that caused me this issue but it is nice to know how to fix it. If Google knows that it exists and everyone complains, i am sure that it will be fixed and definitely removed when Gmail comes out of beta (if that every will be).

I'm just glad I don't have to use hotmail anymore.God, it seemed like every week I'd have to clean out my inbox...along with the pitful spam filter. I'm a bit of a Googlephile, though. The only thing they let me down on was GoogleTalk, but that's because I've been using AIM and MSN for the past 5 years...so unless they make it compatible somehow with AIM and MSN screennames...I don't think I could switch. =(

gmail it really niceyes, gmail dont support html but gmail can stop spamers I think admin of gmail for securing block html tag do you know html tag in email is very dangers !

That hasnt happened to me, and I do have long messages. Maybe ill try and get a closer look.