xisto Community
googlue

Have You Read The Rules? TOS, privacy policy, hosting rules...

Have you read all the rules and instructions at trap17?  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dear hosted members,

We have noticed that many members are knowingly or unknowingly breaking some basic rules of posting and hosting at T17.

This has resulted in a lot of spam posts which in turn lead to more unnecessary work for moderators and admins, 'defacement' of the foums and sometimes even banning of the concerned member.

The rules are there and you are also there. But have you read them? Usually, if you have read the rules and understood them, it is not expected that you break them voluntarily. This however can be expected of some unscrupulous elements whose main aim is to damage the good reputation that T17 has.

Though we always check the box that says 'I have read and understood the terms of services etc', do we always do it? Specifically, HAVE YOU RAED the rules of Xisto?

They are hre, listed, if you haven't yet!! But answer the poll too... that would be enlightening. You can also make a comment about how to make rules more readable...

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Hosting Introduction and Rules

Posting & Activity Rules

Instructions for Titles and Descriptions

Thank you

Googlue

T17 moderator

Well, There are two things I'd like to mention/ask:

1) (Just in case) You might have noticed that I've uploaded a few mp3 files for free download in my site. This is why:

The bands which are being promoted in my site ( Sonorama.NET ) are totally UNSIGNED bands, which means that -first of all- there are no rules broken unless they don't agree with the public use of their mp3s <--THIS WON'T HAPPEN-- Why? because I got the authorisation from all of them (the bands) to use the files. This is FREE PROMOTION for their music; and afterall, if they get signed in a major label, they will possibly prevent us from using their mp3s in the site.

I also had already asked you guys about this situation in THIS TOPIC

2) I'd like to see if it is possible (well i've just read your rules and found it very possible) to get some x-tras if I put some Trap 17's AD on my site. And BTW, I'd love to know where I can get some TRAP 17 Banners (468x60px if possible).

Well, finally I'd like to let you know that I have linked you back in my site since the very first day i started running up Sonorama.NET (you can check it yourself)

THANKS FOR YOUR ATTENTION and FOR EXISTING (Believe me, I DO BELIEVE YOU GUYS ROCK FOR WHAT YOU DO WITH THIS SITE!!)

I've read the rules enough to have an idea what is allowed and what is not. Since my site is still in the works, I've been following them so far. Same goes for my posting.

I read them all when I started here or- for the ones that came later- when I've seen them show up on the board. But I am reading them again now to see if there's been any changes. I'm kind of paranoid about breaking rules. :(

I havent read them fully :( but have oulined them :(I know the basic rules but havent managed to get my forums up and going yet so dont think im breaking any so far :(:P~ Munchie ~

Well, There are two things I'd like to mention/ask:

1) (Just in case) You might have noticed that I've uploaded a few mp3 files for free download in my site. This is why:

The bands which are being promoted in my site ( Sonorama.NET ) are totally UNSIGNED bands, which means that -first of all- there are no rules broken unless they don't agree with the public use of their mp3s <--THIS WON'T HAPPEN-- Why? because I got the authorisation from all of them (the bands) to use the files. This is FREE PROMOTION for their music; and afterall, if they get signed in a major label, they will possibly prevent us from using their mp3s in the site.

I also had already asked you guys about this situation in THIS TOPIC

2) I'd like to see if it is possible (well i've just read your rules and found it very possible) to get some x-tras if I put some Trap 17's AD on my site. And BTW, I'd love to know where I can get some TRAP 17 Banners (468x60px if possible).

Well, finally I'd like to let you know that I have linked you back in my site since the very first day i started running up Sonorama.NET (you can check it yourself)

THANKS FOR YOUR ATTENTION and FOR EXISTING (Believe me, I DO BELIEVE YOU GUYS ROCK FOR WHAT YOU DO WITH THIS SITE!!)

139986[/snapback]

on #1: spectre did answer that one already, so just to make it "official" on your part, ask for a written authorization from those bands. Xisto admins may ask for it too if there is a legal question on those mp3s you have on your hosting space.

on #2: if you're providing downloads (mp3s, etc.):

source: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/106-free-web-hosting-service-registration-3-easy-steps-to-your-new-free-website/

Even though We generally do NOT allow hosting of ZIP and MP3 files, You still can. But if you do, Your account will not be upgraded beyond 1GB Bandwidth.

it eats ups system resources, and if downloads get too popular, it can slow down the servers. (note: i do have a downloads section in my site also, but it is just a bunch of links pointing to where i host them on a limited time basis [rapidshare.de])

extras are subject to the approval of admins (OPAQUE and/or NILSC). but i doubt if it's going to be approved if space and bandwidth is predominantly consumed by downloads. i suppose it's on a case-to-case basis, so it is still worth a try to contact any of the admins. (note: i still do host also Xisto ads on my site, although i don't get extras... at least, not anymore. any member can upgrade to get the 5GB bandwidth allotment already. :P)

Xisto ad codes can be requested from admins. i have a link in my sig about that before, but i removed it already. Xisto banners on the other hand can be found here: http://forums.xisto.com/forum/125-user-contributions/

(just some banners made by Xisto members, in varied sizes, although it's not income-generating when used on your site unlike Xisto ads.)

on #1: spectre did answer that one already, so just to make it "official" on your part, ask for a written authorization from those bands. Xisto admins may ask for it too if there is a legal question on those mp3s you have on your hosting space.

on #2: if you're providing downloads (mp3s, etc.):

it eats ups system resources, and if downloads get too popular, it can slow down the servers. (note: i do have a downloads section in my site also, but it is just a bunch of links pointing to where i host them on a limited time basis [rapidshare.de])

Well, I have to say No Worries :( The bands in my site are currently not so popular, and since we demand an user registration in order to get access to the mp3s, lots of people just leave the site without the songs :( So, the bandwidth because of Downloads is not that much.

And as a response of these specific thread:

YEah! All the bands have sent me the demos and the Written Authorization for using those mp3s

And Thanks BTW for the banners sources :P

...and because ROCK was always INDIE

i read them and im actually pretty strict to them. im always afraid of being kicked out of a hosting service cause i might have done the tiniest bit of something illigal. i always read the rules before going into sites. but on gaming only sites, what are rules??!!

I have sorted through all the above and maybe I am blind, but I don't see a clear definition of "SPAM" as it applies to the forum postings. Please direct me to it if it exists on here.

Thanks.

Mich,
I don't know if there is a good definition of Spam posted here, mostly because it is a contextual thing. Posts are expected to be a minimum of 25 words, but sometimes your answer would be acceptable if the point could be properly made in less than 25. On the other hand, a 200 word answer that adds no valid content to the topic could be spam. For example, if you are simply repeating what others have said in a new form, then it might be spam.
As Moderators, we use 'guidelines' to determine spam, not neccesarily a strict definition. There are about 100 characters in the text box I am currently viewing. This may be different for your browser/display combination. I try to include a minimum of two lines in my replies. That would ensure a reasonable answer. If I don't feel that I can type that much in as an answer, I do not reply. Generally.

Also, if you post a list of links, such as you have, it is preferred that they are inside quote tags, such as you have done. The 'guideline' would be a list of information is okay to about 30 percent of the content of the posting. After 30 per cent, it could be editted to include the quote tags, thereby reducing your credits received for the post..

replys like this would be considered spam.asdfdkklvmmglm.
Yup, I agree.
whatever that last member said is right.

notice that the stuff inside quotes is not part of my post word count and no credits are received for it.

I was planning on hosting two separate sites here at Xisto, first I hope that is okay. And my main question is that I was thinking about making one of them basically a site that has desktop wallpapers to download. There seem to be a concern with the amout of bandwidth used for download and I was wondering if hosting wallpapers would be against the rules in any way.

I was planning on hosting two separate sites here at Xisto, first I hope that is okay. And my main question is that I was thinking about making one of them basically a site that has desktop wallpapers to download. There seem to be a concern with the amout of bandwidth used for download and I was wondering if hosting wallpapers would be against the rules in any way.

221348[/snapback]

you can use subdomains on your main Xisto hosting account to separate the sites. :blink: as for bandwidth, do you expect a steady download to exceed the limit? perhaps you should consider paid hosting. hosting wallpapers will not be a problem, if these are your own productions (that is, your own creations and not just ripped off from some other sites which can present copyright issues).