xisto Community
tariqrf

How Much Space Does Google Have On Their Servers?

I don't know how, but I'm glad they've done it. I have regularly used close to 98 % of my 1 Gig, now it's down to about 30%!!!They do indeed rock...they also don't have those damn flash ads Yahoo has that slow down my connection. I'm moving all my important stuff to Gmail. Maybe they will offer more than 3 GB per account, but that will never get filled up. So their servers don't have to be as large as [3 GB] x [number of members].Still, their storage space must be huge.I suppose the average storage space in a few years will be max 250 MB/account, the same as Yahoo and Hotmail are offering. Unless more people are using Gmail as a hard drive of course.

I guess they have pretty much the same webspace amount as Yahoo! Mail or Hotmail. what they have is a very good marketing strategy, they gave us so much webspace because they are very sure that we couldn't use all of those spaces. if they are poeple who could use up all of those more than two gigabytes, im sure they are just a percentage of the total Gmail users worldwide. there are poeple like mo who still delete emails so, there would be enough for every one of us. :(

I have regularly used close to 98 % of my 1 Gig, now it's down to about 30%!!!

For all those who use that much space, there is myself, using less then 1%!

Well, I have 2 gmail accounts... one is pure mail (around 20mb...) the other one is used as storage space (I mean, one giga for free!!!!), and in couple of days, I uploaded there ALL my mailbox (talking about years and years of mail - work backup mail included - and that's A LOT!) and I'm currently running on 700mb more or less... so i think that they have all that space for their clients, but i'm also sure that whenever people will start exploiting this chance... well, goodbye gmail! Too expensive to manage, as simple as that. No wonder they are now trying whatever move passes throught heir mind to increase market share... web accelerator, google toolbar, personalized startpage... first step towaards downhill, that's my best shot. That's why I have a dvd backup of all my things... he he he

I really think goolge has Unlimited space and bandwith one because its powerd by apache wich means its on his pc so basicly if the pc goes down so does the Google but I really dought that will happen.heres what I think google hasunlimited spaceUnlimited bandwith99 msql databasesunlimited emailsPhpand some other crapwho really knows how much google really has just pm the guy who owns google.-MechVegita-

Notice from whyme:
this was not a very well thought out post.
Edited by whyme (see edit history)

I haven't heard one person complain about gmail. I can't use it myself without upgrading to osx which i'm not interested in doing right now. But no one has complained about lack of space or any other problems for that matter. Wondering if your working for a competitor, putting fears in people like this.(haha)round

i used to work for a online search engine...Sorta like google, and Yahoo. http://www.webcrawler.com/ what they used to do is...

Webcrawler would use their advertisers! when a realiable name came about for like web hosting (ie Rackspace) someone with a great rep and lots of customers ect...ect....ect. they would take a small hosting accout from each server they host has. what they would do with that server is upload images, log files, and small stuff like that to keep the "Main Servers" limited on storage. It takes LOTS and boat loads of programming but it makes the pages real fast. Basically they search engine and all the other stuff is broken up on a ton of little servers.

My Guess is Google or yahoo wouldnt use something like that as much as other people, cause they have money. For Instance Google Has a whole team of servers stacked into a room or warehouse that they draw from. thats a given. Besides Servers now a days if you would buy one outright basically come packed with storage. ive seen upto 80gigs on basic models. you get 10-15 of those your good to go, plain and simple.

Yes gmail used what i guess you could call is a revolving door for storage. they start you off at such a size as say 100megs. use it you get more, and so on. its just basically Marketing like everyone else has has been saying. it would be impossible for even google to offer 2million people 2gigs of space, even just for email.

Google adsense also shows how much google gets out of the profit, and that's a lot! Google earns like four times as much as the people who have the ads on their site, and more as a million people seem to have google ads on their site, I think a few hundredthousand earn more as 250 dollar a month with it, that's 1000 dollar for google per account, times hundredthousand is about 10,000,000 a month, now, a decent dedicated server would cost 300 dollar a month, such a server has about 500 gb space I guess (2 times 250 gb), with 10,000,000 dollars, they could rent like 300,000 of these servers, 300,000 x 500 = 150,000,000 GB of space... Well, thats just a possibility and I'm sure Google earns way more with Google adsense then 10,000,000, but I just took that as an example... Also not all money is spend on dedicated servers, but I guess a lot is..For Google, the possibility's are endless...

I would have to say that Google has at least 5 terrabytes of space on their servers. Google search has a couple billion sites listed on Google search so that has to be some major space especially when you consider that pages are cached. Gmail uses a ton of space so that helps add up the space. Other Google programs use up the rest of the space (such as Google Earth).

I heard 30gigs was shady... Actually, I have a 30 Gigs account, but I don't really feel like using it. It looks like Squirrel Mail to me. Plus, I'd rather rely my mail on Google, since it's done a great job so far, despite its occasional screw ups. It's been around long that I can trust it. Gmail is real in the sense that you can have up to the space they tell you you'll have. They don't joke with you and give you a crummy 200MB space... If Google did that, then they'll be in hot water.

I think probably Gmail would be in trouble if everybody used the 100% of their inbox space. I do use it above a 90% but only because I have there music files that I interchange with my friends (we have some kind of mailing list to know new starting bands) and I am too lazy to be constantly erasing them all.So I don?t think that there are lot of people who have their space full, it would be a problem if there were no limit (10 megabyte) of attaching files, because people woud store films, isos and things like that.

i really wanna know. this is like serious.. if 512 users sign up for gmail, then they use up a terabyte of space... now its more than like to have around hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people who would've signed up for gmail..

now this is getting a bit unbeleivable.. if a million people sign up... 2 million gigabytes... now where thats like nearly 2000 terabytes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enough to store all the information that every human ever spoke since the dawn of time(k..k.. i am exxxxagerating) , now how does google store this much space????

or is it just kidding... mayb they dont provide 2 gbs of space, they probably know that no person on earth can fill up 2 gigs... so actually the size might just be around 200 megs... so if you do use up 200 mb, the size increases to 300 .. etc etc.. just a marketing gimmick of sort... donnno. they might be true tho

anyone who knows anybody in google?? and know the real truth?? or do they use the next generation in storage technology or something?????

curious,

Tariq

134491[/snapback]

what i think it is is that they have virtual email like virtual servers so they can give out 2 gb email accounts but the sppace u dont use is used by others and the space they used is uesd by others ect untill it comes back to u so u will always have 2 gb space

(did u understand any of that i tried to make it as simeple as possible)

it could've been practical... look, they give 2 gigs of space,, then why the 10 mb limit for uploading??(the whole point is, they are not comfortable with you using up their space.. then why offer such massive space?)

I think that if they allowed people to upload larger files, then their servers would get too busy handling just one client/upload. their servers must be handling the requests based on some kinda algorithm...like First In First Out or sommething. So obviously you don;t want the server to be busy handling a single 1GB upload request :P
You might argue that they would have like a thousand servers. But they also have like 100 thousand requests coming from the 1000 thousand subscribers!

About how much space they have...i can only imagine! ;) wow!
I'm sure they may not be owning all the websapce, and may be outsourcing it to smaller web-space providing firms. Its too much of a business risk to own everything.
And outsourcing i believe would bring in security/privacy issues...and the debate goes on.................;)

cheers!