xisto Community
tariqrf

How Much Space Does Google Have On Their Servers?

Google space

How Much Space Does Google Have On Their Servers?

Replying to tariqrf

Google has petabytes of space (1 petabyte = 1,024 Terabytes) on lowcost computers in clusters of server farms around the world.

-reply by Jeremy

Google processes 20 petabytes a day, thats around 7 EXABYTES in 2007 (not storage btw). But from an extremely rough guesstimation, I'm thinking they have around the 150 petabyte range of storage. Since they have an estimate of 450,000 servers with two 160 gig drives!Sam.

I wouldnt have thought they have enough for every user using the maximum, thatis just the limit.they will expect people to only use say.... 5 GB at the most probably. The limit is just there to make it look good!! (free email with so much storage looks really good)By the way, its not 2TB limit, the limit is constantly increasing. There is a page, which show the limit at that exact time.but it seems to go up a few bytes every second.I dont suppose they have enough stprage for anyting like the amount of users.But not very many people will come close to filling it up.

i really wanna know. this is like serious.. if 512 users sign up for gmail, then they use up a terabyte of space... now its more than like to have around hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people who would've signed up for gmail..
now this is getting a bit unbeleivable.. if a million people sign up... 2 million gigabytes... now where thats like nearly 2000 terabytes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enough to store all the information that every human ever spoke since the dawn of time(k..k.. i am exxxxagerating) , now how does google store this much space????

or is it just kidding... mayb they dont provide 2 gbs of space, they probably know that no person on earth can fill up 2 gigs... so actually the size might just be around 200 megs... so if you do use up 200 mb, the size increases to 300 .. etc etc.. just a marketing gimmick of sort... donnno. they might be true tho

anyone who knows anybody in google?? and know the real truth?? or do they use the next generation in storage technology or something?????

curious,
Tariq

I believe 7GB (and ever increasing) gmail box, and yahoo box with infinite space are just for marketing measurement, and less than 10% (I guess) eat up more than 1GB.

Moreover, all google services are cluster-based (means a group of computers joined to do the same thing), including Gmail.

Well, always discussing about Google. Google is a giant, it is some kind of a modern miracle. I used to try yahoo and messenger, but gmail has stuck me into it definitively and I am spending less time on gmail. I have currently used 28 mb out of 7364. I can imagine google can have an entire building with servers and also different buildings in other places out of USA.

firstly 2000 terrabytes is not enough to store everything ever said. I know you were exadgerating. But, a couple of years ago, it was estimatred 4 exobytes of information was generated every day!I would imagine the google have more than 2000 terrabytes of storage. Their server farms are huge. But most large email or web hosting providers dont have enought space for all of their members, because they know most people will only use a fraction of their limit. Its a feature in some web hosting that the company actually as enough space for all their accounts - a reliability feature. But if they came close to using all of their storage, they would probably upgrade things pretty fast.

Well, always discussing about Google. Google is a giant, it is some kind of a modern miracle. I used to try yahoo and messenger, but gmail has stuck me into it definitively and I am spending less time on gmail. I have currently used 28 mb out of 7364. I can imagine google can have an entire building with servers and also different buildings in other places out of USA.

This is what google rely on. I doubt many people actually use their limit. I am using only a few megabytes of storage on my Gmail account, although I rarely use it.

They do have huge buildings full of servers called server farms, they have several of them in different locations.

I use 6 GB in GMAIL, and I'm thinking grow up.  Gmail is very big space to teke email.

The gmail space is true! I use Google Apps too..It is fantastic!

-reply by Oscar

_ Google , Hotmail , Yahoo , Youtube , Facebook , Twitter , Hi5 and more social networking webs are the webs given by Government for free to the people.We ain't talking about Godaddy , Ipage or some usual hosting / domain controller.Every country in this earth pays for those webs although we people do not know about it.The system is made by other people but the equipments and services are alimented by Government.It does have a huge space and as well as HUGE bandwidth.

Mmmh, maybe google secretely invented unlimitrd space harddrives for their servers? -_-But, I think its quite reasonable that they offer 2 gb... it would ocost arraund 2$ per accaunt (300 gb harddrive with 150 accaunts) fo space, and it doesnt create so much bandwith due to the smooth and fast interface, also I think it preloads the site so I think its only downloaded 1 time every visit

True, but that's because they use AJAX and other URL-Encoded programming languages to get their content behind the scenes. There's no need to refresh or reload the page every time. Plus, a good browser should cache a lot of it anyways. Not to mention it's simply... well... simple ;)

<p> I use 6 GB in GMAIL, and I'm thinking grow up.  Gmail is very big space to teke email.</p><p>The gmail space is true! I use Google Apps too..It is fantastic!</p>-reply by Oscar

What can you possibly do with 6 gigs of space? You have your whole hard drive all zipped up and uploaded or what? :P

I have been only using 0% of my Gmail.... btw, I wish I could transfer space from Gmail to my Google Sites. I'm running out of space there.... So there's less storage for an entire website than an email account? :mellow:

Google had total server space of 1200TB in 2002. And currently each server space of google server is 4TB approximately and they might be owning near about 100000 servers worldwide.

Are you guys from 2002? That's nothing. Google has hundreds of server farms around the world with 25 petabytes of data processed each day.The gmail system might work like an insurance company: the available space per user isn't 7647 megabytes, but some users will use that much if they just save all of their emails for searching (like me) some users will never work up to that point, but google is making 7 billion in profits, they don't give a *BLEEP* about adding a few more servers.