xisto Community
iGuest

What do you prefer: Windows or Linux?

I actually dont have a preference. They both are good for cerain tasks and thus one should be proficient in both. With mac's now able to run windows, it will be more beneficial to learn linux and windows so that you can utilize the graphical stuff apples can do (and understand how it works in the background) and then also be able to play games, etc in windows which you also probably will be using in the business field.

Tricky one. Linux has by the years as GPL, developed software similair to windows, so the talk about choosing Windows instead Linux because the major benifits by using windows, is not a fair reason. Linux is sweet using it as a webserver, and because it's a GPL OS there's alot of updates and stuff for it. But the hard part is if you are new to computers and don't know mush about how to install programs in Linux, it could be a very hard OS to grasp. And as Windows is "put-in-CD/DVD" and install-os, Linux is not. It demands some degree of skill to get programs to work properly. So If you want to install linux, get as much info on how to do things before you start installing it. Because alot of things can go wrong if you don't do it right.

I'm currently using windows vista on this computer. Sure, it's pretty and makes loverly sounds and fireworks and stuff...but...Only having 1gig RAM kind of makes it...icky...I'm probably going to put xp on it soon, and then put ubuntu on my old computer.

i prefer windows xp over every other operating system and the reason why is becausei have used it for all of my life and i don't know how to install any other operating systemsmy friends tell me that linux is good though

It depends on your level of computer experience.Windows looks better than some linux distributions, but can be a major resource hog, and usually comes pre-installed with a load of shareware rubbish that takes up way too much space. It has a nice GUI (Graphical User Interface), but with all those images takes up more memory than the simple Windows Classic theme. Windows is by far the most compatible platform, and most things are designed for windows, but, unfortunately, this includes viruses. Windows has an incredible amount of viruses available, and they are so easy to get its untrue.Linux is for more experienced computer users, and can be a lot harder to set up than Windows. When I tried to set up linux running by side with my XP, I accidentally erased all of my C Drive, including all of the factory settings, only to find out that I was meant to set up a separate hard drive partition for linux to work. And then Ubuntu (the linux distro that I chose) didn't recognise any of my wireless drivers, so I didn't have the internet. Luckily my laptop came with a Windows XP install CD, so I could fresh install that, but it didn't include any drivers or programs, so I had to find all of the drivers on an application CD with the worst folder tree ever... the names gave no clue as to what was inside, and there were multiple drivers for the same thing, so choosing it was a chore.If you aren't on a budget, then I would recommend getting a mac, it runs of the linux kernel, but is also optimized so that it can run Mac OS and Windows side by side, so imo that would be your best bet if you can afford it.

It depends on your level of computer experience.
Windows looks better than some linux distributions, but can be a major resource hog, and usually comes pre-installed with a load of shareware rubbish that takes up way too much space. It has a nice GUI (Graphical User Interface), but with all those images takes up more memory than the simple Windows Classic theme. Windows is by far the most compatible platform, and most things are designed for windows, but, unfortunately, this includes viruses. Windows has an incredible amount of viruses available, and they are so easy to get its untrue.

Linux is for more experienced computer users, and can be a lot harder to set up than Windows. When I tried to set up linux running by side with my XP, I accidentally erased all of my C Drive, including all of the factory settings, only to find out that I was meant to set up a separate hard drive partition for linux to work. And then Ubuntu (the linux distro that I chose) didn't recognise any of my wireless drivers, so I didn't have the internet. Luckily my laptop came with a Windows XP install CD, so I could fresh install that, but it didn't include any drivers or programs, so I had to find all of the drivers on an application CD with the worst folder tree ever... the names gave no clue as to what was inside, and there were multiple drivers for the same thing, so choosing it was a chore.

If you aren't on a budget, then I would recommend getting a mac, it runs of the linux kernel, but is also optimized so that it can run Mac OS and Windows side by side, so imo that would be your best bet if you can afford it.

Yeah, that's truth. But the Linux based systems or distributions (cause the OS is not Linux, only the core's name is Linux, but most people are saying "The OS Linux") are more stable for server purposes. Also for PC you use only for writing applications, documents, using the Internet for basic intentions, you would be happier to use some Linux-distribution like Ubuntu or SuSE. But if your main goal is gaming... Then I could recommend Windows XP :) Although there are many ways to run Win aps under Linux distro (like Wine) you will get the most of their performance on Windows.

I've used both windows and linux based operating systems. Windows is more user friendly but it has a lot of troubles. In other words windows can be quite a headache. While Linux is a bit more dificult to adjust to, its safer and does not backfire like windows does... but most of todays aplications are design for windows.

Linux is good when we think security,stability etc...But Windows is easier to use.The main problem of Windows is that its performance will reduces when we use its for a long time.that is we need to reinstall the Operating System after using some period to get the full performance.But in the case of linux, doesn't affect any problem when using linux for a long time.So I prefer Linux for Programmers and technical people who have more idea about computers.But I prefer Windows for old aged people and those who newer to the software world.

I would have to say Windows because I have never used Linux! But i do not necessarily like it! lol!Hope to try Linux pretty soon. Just wondering what exactly it is that linux has that Windows does not..

Hello!!
I'm an amateur in computers.

I gained an computer this year and it comes with WINDOWS XP.
But my friend told me that the Linux is better than Windows.
Is it true??

My dear friend I think it will depend the technologies which you are using for your studies etc. I am a software developer and I am using Micro Soft technologies so I personally prefer Windows and have a bit of knowledge of Linux not much so I think I am not the one to comment on it that how is linux or more about linux. 

I definitely prefer windows, only because linux based operating systems dont have many games yet (maybe give it a few years). Wine although as good as it is, to me seems like patching the system to enable windows games to work. Hopefully something better will work out for games on linux soon.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)