xisto Community
zenia

Space Trip Space tourism is getting nearby

Posted Image

The Lynx is a small space plane. It takes off using its engine. After about 42 kilometers the engine is put off. The power drives the space plane up to 100 kilometers. There can 10 minutes of gravity freedom be experienced. After the 10 minutes in the top layers of the atmosphere the small space plane returns as a glider.

The small space plane doesn't contain a rocket engine and no jet engine to control the trip down back to earth.

The trip will cost $ 100,000. The trip lasts 40 minutes.

Posted Image

Virgin Galactic uses another concept to launch the space vehicle.

Virgin Galactic

The small spacecraft SpaceShipTwo is carried upon the air by a plane. The spacecraft hangs under the middle wing of the carrier plane.

The spacecraft gets released on an altitude of 15 kilolmeters. The spacecraft can reach up to 142 kilometers.

The SpaceShipTwo has a hybrid rocket motor.

In space there is no big engine to change directions.

The SpaceShipTwo returns back to earth like a glider.

Posted Image

Posted Image

During the return to earth and into the athmosphere the glider surfs the atmosphere and the air layer till the speed is brought down to a speed that makes sure the heath is not too big anymore in order to enable the spacecraft to enter the atmosphere and the air layer.

A trip will costs $ 200,000.-- for 1 person.

Edited by zenia (see edit history)

Interesting, it doesn't seem to be so expensive, especially when there are so much millionaires and billionaires these days, everyone can try it out, but maybe it's not good for their health? :)I would like an experience like that some day, looking how fast technologies are moving, maybe one day I will? :D

well to be honest if its only going into space to get to places faster hypersonic travel would be better for that since most forms of hypersonic travel will sort bounce along the atmosphere (like when you throw rocks into water and get them to skim the surface). which will allow getting to destinations just as fast most likely cheaper and it will also have powered landing unlike the glider system on these space planes. if they could fit ion drives to them they could use them to have the planes move through space (think of the ions being blasted out in a similar way to jet engines) its not as similar as jets engines but the concept of using exuast to power flight is. that way you could also have ion drives on the front of the plane and use them to slow it down as it get nearer the destination. please note the ion drives would not be as effective in the atmosphere as they are in space so still conventional rockets to get out of the atmosphere.

For me, the primary concern for space travel is safety i.e. getting passengers / tourists safely into space. Considering the number of spacecraft and space shuttle accidents that have occurred and the proportion / percentage of all space trips, space travel at the moment is a very risky proposition. Also, there have hardly any significant improvements in making spacecrafts more safe, apart from checking the exterior surfaces prior to launches and re-entry procedures. I personally think more time, effort and investment should be made in improving safety equipment and technology, rather than just inventing the technology to make the travel faster or more environmentally friendly and energy efficient (still an important part, but less important than safety concerns).Of course, some people would rather cherish the opportunity to be in space and have less concern of safety. Nevertheless, safety first, enjoyment later.

That's pretty expensive... well not for those who can afford it. I would rather spend the money on taking a trip around the world.Thanks for the info though... I actually printed this to show to someone.Give me a buzz when they're planning on going to Mars... that will be a trip of a lifetime... or several.

The main concern I have with this is safety. Space travel isn't like going on a rollercoaster or some ride at a local amusement park; there's a lot of additional factors to be taken in account. Also, after watching this episode of CSI Miami (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) I don't think I want to attempt something like space travel haha.If I had $400k then there's much better things to spend it on, but to each their own I guess.

It would be really interesting to travel to space as a tourist, even though quite dangerous, but you can take the risk, in the past it was interesting to travel to high seas, but now it's a normal procedure, so I really believe that in the future it will be quite normal too. :unsure: