xisto Community
dougeg

Windows 7 wow its fun

I'm looking for all kinds of recent links to visual software enhance for XP that can make your experience more like Windows 7. Let me know if you have any. I post a list of what I'm using later on. Thanks in advance.

levimage :)

Yes, please, post your list. And I would be curious to know what exactly is "visual software enhance".

I would be curious to know what exactly is "visual software enhance".

They are third party softwares that patches or replaces the kernel display. Most are illegal softwares since they literally crack the operating system to disable parts of it and hook their own. There are also a few legit softwares that loads over your windows system or call the window.display function and register itself as a new render skin.

The difference with a theme for XP is that it only change the colors, icons and wallpapers while a skin really changes the UI (user interface)

Pirated versions of windows operating system comes mostly shipped with this alternative UI's since they can also aid in disabling the activation system.

visual software enhancement or visually enhanced software... or however your country interprets English. Vhortex picked up the nouns and verbs. :) So yeah, like general themes and such. Software that can add transparencies, animation, support PNG or transparent icons, the whole BLUR thing (aero like), some useful gadgets/widgets, toolbars, OSD (On Screen Displays), shadows, in focus/out-of-focus, mouse interfaces, Nvidia or ATI GPU specific software enhancements (can't think of better term... visual code?), CLI modifications, 3D screensavers, crazy wallpaper, and other miscellanous utilities that might have been linux or mac inspired.Okay hope that helps. :D

Visual software enhancement were very popular when Vista appeared, a lot of whom could make their XP look like Vista, even though usually it took much mroe RAM and were much slower, XP it self by default looks quite good and those visual enchantments usually aren't the same looking as the original. Also the better ones weren't free.. So it's the same with Windows 7 now..I wonder why would anyone want to make their XP look like Windows 7 ar Vista :)Anyway, to continue on topic.. When I bought my laptop, it came with Vista, it seemed to work ok for me, was quite stable, just usually used over 1 GB of RAM when doing nothing, but after a year I got hold of Windows 7 Pro copy from university for free as I am a student and am using it since then.. Everything is fine..I've read here that somebody said that if it works on Vista it will work on Win7 too, for example with Age of Empires 2, on Vista it works well, but on Win7 it doesn't, due to the transparency which seems to be different, you need to change the theme and only then start the game, or else the colours will be very bad.Personally I have VirtualBox running with XP for things like that, as dual booting for me would be a pain, as I have 4 GB of RAM it's enough for me to run everything on Win7.. I also don't use Linux on dual boot as I used to, now I use it with Virtual Box too, there use to be resolution problems with OpenSUSE, but I managed to fix them to use a much higher one on full screen.I personally think that Windows 7 is the awaited fix for windows since XP.. The story for Vista would be something like Windows ME which really sucked :D

I have windows 7 its very handy and annoying at the same time but its good i guess i think i has some nice features and yes it is very like vista i don't really know the difference lol so yea windows 7 vista pretty much the same and also i think windows 7 blocks people from hacking some games like i play warrock in windows 7 and it blocks hacks thank you windows :) because the process changes when in windows lol its some proceses turn in Process *32 XD

Yeah, I'm thinking of upgrading my older computers to Windows Starter. Just to stay with the times. I also found out it is possible to upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows XP. Cool huh? Other technicians I've talked to said... Nope, you have to upgrade to Vista then to 7. Goes to show how much they know. :DNow I just have to search for x32 and x64 versions of drivers. Yup but it's cool. It let's me know which manufactures are not updating their old devices for Windows 7 Drivers.levimage :)

The general idea is that it is not possible to update from windows xp in order to get windows 7 installed on the computer. so it might be very nice to hear what special procedure is followed that makes it possible to update windows xp to windows 7.

windows 7 has a lot of drivers included in the dvd. so for a lot of things that needed seperate drivers in windows xp, like drivers for sats hard disks, are no seperate drivers uploads needed anymore in windwos 7.

Yeah, I'm thinking of upgrading my older computers to Windows Starter. Just to stay with the times. I also found out it is possible to upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows XP. Cool huh? Other technicians I've talked to said... Nope, you have to upgrade to Vista then to 7. Goes to show how much they know. :)
Now I just have to search for x32 and x64 versions of drivers. Yup but it's cool. It let's me know which manufactures are not updating their old devices for Windows 7 Drivers.

levimage :D

It's a good idea to upgrade to Windows 7, but only if there is adequate hardware to support it. Otherwise it may be a bit sluggish and may not give the desired performance. That is why there are a lot of XP users who still feel that Windows 7 also hogs their system resources like Vista does, and then they say that Windows 7 is no good at all!

Yes, it depends on the hardware, I think all the newer hardware is really capable to run windows 7 smoothly and if you want to use the capabilities of that hardware it good to install windows 7 and use it, but if you have a bit older hardware, so why worry about it, just use windows XP which is also good with Service Pack 3 and have no problems, most of software works on XP, well maybe expect some new software which requires windows 7, but if you have an older hardware it's a doubt you'll need it anyway.

I guess XP and 7 seems to be the best OS from Microsoft? :)

Even though I remember times, when a lot of people didn't want to move from Win 98 to XP, due to XP needed much better hardware and it sucked at that time, after service pack 1 and 2 it got much better and most of people at that time renewed their hardware, but most of that times games ran on 98 much better than on xp or win 2000 as I remember, but of course, as I said, it all depends on your hardware.

For example, if you have a new computer, bought this year and you'll try to install Windows XP, in most cases you'll be successful, but you may not get drivers or those drivers won't be so good for XP than for Windows 7 or with XP you won't use all the hardware capabilities available.

Furthermore, here is a good resource: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

For example, if you have a new computer, bought this year and you'll try to install Windows XP, in most cases you'll be successful, but you may not get drivers or those drivers won't be so good for XP than for Windows 7 or with XP you won't use all the hardware capabilities available.
Furthermore, here is a good resource: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

That's pretty much it when it comes to new games coming out. To use the lastest Direct X. To make use of ATI and NVIDIA's cards new graphics/processing capabilities. To make use of 64bit processing in gaming. Running video cards with 1GB or more of memory. Multi-processor setups. Not to mention all the new specifications and motherboard capabilites your are locking yourself out of when it comes to still running XP. Sure XP can be had almost anywhere on the Internet, but to have real hardware productivity now days you might want to consider the upgrades. Unless you are some Linux fanatic who just happens to a be a very adept video/hardware programmer in the industry with all the funds and free time to dabble with code, your best bet is to just upgrade.

I upgraded. I just fall back on XP when i comes to running old software via M$ Virtual PC - which is a Free download.

Levimage :)

Posted Image

There is a topic about a free trial version of Windows 7 for people who work with internet and with computers.

This version is designed by Microsoft to enable them to see if Windows 7 meets their needs.

Here is the link to this topic with the link to the website where a free trial version of Windows 7 is available for professionals in the information and communcation technology sector.

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/97838-topic/?findpost=1064410246

Posted Image

Edited by zenia (see edit history)

One of the best things, We don't need to install any driver for any device in windows7.

Not really sure. I had to install new drivers for my laser printer and it still does not work correctly under vista because it's too old, I'm pretty sure it will not work better under Windows 7.Some new peripherals will probably have Windows7 drivers, but we cannot say that will never need to install any driver for any device.

Yordan, Windows 7 Makes use of backwards compatibility support and virtual machine feature. I am sure you know about their virtual machine mode for the XP compatibility and the driver support system for the windows 7. There are plenty of articles which explains this in better way than what i can do here. This makes it easy for the operating system to roll back driver state for the old operating system version. So if your drivers work with windows XP theya re surely going to work under windows 7. In case of vista, that facility was not there. They just messed up with many of the features related to the file system, processes and the drivers. So this whole mess ends up in less support for devices and overall unstable system. The reason windows 7 was quickly rolled out is because they fixed these issues and allowed old hardware to accept under this OS. As you know systems purchased in 2006 are likely to run windows 7 without any changes. For example, old pentium 4 processors are still running windows xp and so they can run windows 7 without any issues. I'm damn sure that your printer drivers are likely to run under windows 7 without any issues. I'm just not sure about some of the drivers in vista because that was total fail.