xisto Community
rockershive

What Will Happen If I Rebooted My Pc 60 Times Consecutively? Burn your Hardware

Have you tried this at home or in your Office?
Have you tried rebooting your system at least 60 times over and over again just right after Power on, Self-Test without loading the OS.
I have tried this at home! and guess what a 'development' my PC achieved!
I want you to try it first, and share it to me and to the forum. Let's compare what you've observed.

I moved your topic here, because this plase seems to better be it's place.

I want you to try it first, and share it to me and to the forum. Let's compare what you've observed.

Guess what ? I will not even think trying this, first or not first. Of course, this is one of the burnishing test some manufactures do for their first prototypes (if it survives, this means it's robust) ; however, I see no need for a personal home computer to perform this test.

Why would I ever do that ? It's not like my pc is getting faster by just resetting it a few times, neither will it harm my computer. The only devices in your computer that might suffer a little are the optical drives and your hard disk drive, but even that usage is neglectible.

yeah, i don't see the point to harm your computer like that, unless it's some old computer and you don't have anything better to do, but as I know, it's bad to reboot a lot of times, I even hate when windows needs to be restarted because something has happened, I ask myself sometimes wtf? I know usually the purpose why it needs to be restarted, but windows could change their kernel a bit to avoid that (or they would need to write a new os? haha)turning on and off the computer, the main thing is that it's bad for your hard disk drive.. I know a lot of people who do that, they come home they turn it on, they go to yard for one hour they turn it off, they come back they turn it on and etc. I mainly try to turn it off for time, I know that will be longer, like at least for the night.. and I think it's even better to leave your computer on, rather than keeping it off for several years.A long time ago, with my old Amiga, I didn't turn it on for quite a while, but when I found some time, I turned it on, but it didn't work anymore, I think it's fixable, but some stuff happened with the battery, it was spoiled all around it.. Anyway, when I turned on my other Amiga 1200 computer (anyone remembers those?) not so long ago, the clock still showed the time it's now, so it was quite of fun :) I needed to turn it on to get some data files I didn't have.. and it worked in a perfect order. :)

Sorry but I'm not going kill my computer. It's old and will probably die, and the fact I'm already on my third hard drive says something.I had a friend who was a nerd but all of a sudden I'm too inmature for him or my calculator wasn't good enough or something (lmao) who decided to just turn his computer on and off a heap of times and his hard drive and motherboard died.

I agree with all that has been said. I mean in theory it shouldn't 'kill' a computer as its the same as turning it on and off 60 times over a long period of time. However it will add unnecessary wear and tear to the various mechanical components and others so it really seems pointless. Maybe if you shed some light on your intentions for asking people to do it, we could understand it a little better. But for now it seems like you're just trying to stir up trouble.

This activity seems really stupid and pointless as it creates unnecessary on/off cycles on system components such as the motherboard, hard drives, etc. I understand that rebooting many times may be necessary when installing a lot of software/hardware, etc, but doing this for absolutely no reason is really stupid and will just cause your computer to wear out faster.If you explained what happened/the point of this activity then we may consider trying it, but so far no one knows exactly why we should do this.

lol well it seems like something to do if you really dont have much to do. Like if you really have the urge to mess your stuff up thats cool lol personally ill stick with what half the population of Xisto will do and stick to doing nothing. but most likely if you did this your computer would kick you in the groin and tell you to leave it alone...thats just what mine would do so

just out of curiousity since everybody seems to think something different ... rebooting = turning of the power or simply hitting the reset button ?

booting and rebooting, just turning on the your pc and pressing reset button just right after the cursor appears to load the OS.

But whats the point of doing that? wouldn't you rather go to a nice picturesque and enjoy it? or drink some beer instead and leave the stupid computer which only understand 0 and 1 alone? :)

There is absolutely no way this can improve your computer... If you push the reset then you do nothing else but clearing every register (caches, memories, ...) in your computer, it doesn't change a thing (in fact, if you turn on your computer, every device receive the reset signal until the clock generators are up and running ...).