xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
samanddavid

Xp Vs Vista THE FINAL

Im wondering what your views are on Windows Vista and Windows XP!Which do YOU think is the better operating system?Personaly, i thikn windows XP.Lets see why......Windows XP upsides:Doesnt need much RAMLess file space (More space free!)Ability to install every previous windows programStylableUniqueMany other features which i cant listWindows XP downsides:Not as attractive as VistaSometimes runs very slowSecurity breaches (Most have been patched)Should be coded in C/C++Windows Vista upsides:StylishAttractiveNicer looking windows and buttonsAttractive GUIWindows Vista downsides:ExpensiveNot secureNeeds atleast 2GIG of RAMCrashes when on certain youtube videos (Serisouly, it does!)Cant install many XP programsShould be coded in C/C++All in all, i think windows vista is more popular mainly because of its theme.But whats your vote?XP OR VISTA!Decide now!

You know you could have created a poll...

Let's subject the two to a review:

1. Minimum system requirements:

XP: 64 Mb RAM, at least 233 MHz processor, about 4 GB of hard disk space, super VGA support

Vista: 512 Mb RAM, at least 800 MHz processor, about 20 GB of hard disk space, super VGA support

XP gets 1 point, Vista gets 0.00728125 points.

2. Recommended system requirements:

XP: 256 Mb RAM, 300 MHz processor, about 10 GB of hard disk space, 64 Mb graphics card, DX9

Vista: 1 GB RAM, 1.0 GHz processor, about 40 GB of hard disk space, 128 Mb graphics card, DX9

XP gets 1 point, Vista gets 0.009375 points.

3. Flashiness

XP: Luna theme: combination of blue and green. No special window transition effects. Smooth windows.

Vista: Aero theme: shiny black and transparent glass. Windows fade in and out as they are opened and closed. Smooth windows. Window switcher. Icon displays can range from small to large.

I'll add more later.

SP3 is yet been released, its release date is slated for March. However, you must realize that most modern operating system, maybe less of MacOS X is coded on C/C++ as the base and have some of the tools coded in .NET (for Windows) and Objective-C in MacOS X. Other UNIX systems use C/C++ exclusively for its systems.As for Windows, as long as you have a fairly new machine, it should run Vista fine, I have yet to really run into compatibility issues (as in not running at all even after tinkering.) That was an issue on release time, but less now.xboxrulz

Vista and XP cost the same for me ;)I'd stick with XP if I had to use windows on my personal machine. It really is more stable than vista, less resource hungry too. The only place I use Vista is on my Boot Camp partition on my MacBookPro. I just think it's funny to see a Mac run vista faster than most of the "vista certified" machines out there.Even then, the only reason I have a Boot Camp partition at all is so I can play Final Fantasy 11 when I'm on the road away from my Xbox 360...

Personaly, I do prefer Vista over XP as long as it's already started (starting up Vista is realy slow compared to XP). I've tweaked Vista, disabled useless features and dropped the annoying Aero interface and what is left of it is a fast environment. Huge memory usage ? No problem, I've seen my amount of free ram only drop below 512Mb once (when I was creating a panorama and allowed Autostitch to use 1Gb of RAM ;) ). Compatibility, never had any serious problems with it (and if something can't be run under Vista then I can still use a virtual xp environment). Security ? Not a problem either, never had a virus nor crapware on Vista, it's just a matter of using the right tools.The new explorer and start menu are probably the most usefull improvements in Vista compared to XP, I do miss them everytime I use my main computer (has XP on it).So, basicly, Vista is my fav. altough I do realise that you'll need quite some memory to get it running decently (something that's not a problem for my laptop 8) )

I don't really have a lot of comaring to do yet because I have only used Vista few months. I have used XP for so many years now that it's easier to compare XP to the earlier systems. I really like what Vista has to offer and I like that it uses Windows and has a semi-Linux look to it. But I can't really dig into Vista until I have it under my sleeve like I do XP.I love the graphics and I like that the use of less 'stacked icons' to the easy pop up listings on the logo on Vista. I don't know if that came out right. On XP, there is the Start button that launches the Programs and more listing. On Vista, it's smaller and has the Logo to start. So far I like it, but there is a lot of getting used to on Vista. So the laptop I am on now uses Vista, but my desktop still has XP. So I am using both still, and I don't love or hate the comparison, I just like that I am able to use both successfully together.

So I am using both still, and I don't love or hate the comparison, I just like that I am able to use both successfully together.

Can't agree more with that ;)

price for xp/vista

Xp Vs Vista

If you look around on the internet you can find vista and xp pretty close in price. One discount pc site I use regularly has both with in about $20 of each other and less than $130. Thats for xp pro and vista ultimate. I haven't upgraded yet as machine is about 12 years old, but upgrading motherboard,processor, and ram trhis week and adding more ram in a few weeks so will probably upgrade to vista in a few months after some more of the bugs get patched and worked out.

I'll be getting a vista later, but I've used my Grandma's laptop which has Vista, and I have used XP, and I think that XP was a bit faster, wheras vista took a long time to load but ran fine. I like the way Vista is now, but if it doesn't support the stuff I want to install, my opinion will change.

basically there are the same problems as when xp was released... compatibility issues, lower fps in games, slower running. but with time i guess vista will be the best... i would like to say though that the appearance of vista is uglier than xp in many ways... i like the blue green instead of black

I think it's going to happen the same thing that happened when XP was released for the first time. Everyone was talking about the cool looks and stuff, but also compatibility, so most people chose windows 98 over XP at that time (some still do :P;) ) and right now its kinda the same. Though, most of current hardware will be compatible with windows vista, the problems is the minimum requirements. While XP works well with 256MB of RAM, you would need at least 1GB to run Vista at a decent speed, and it shouldn't be like that.For now, I'll stick with windows XP until I get my DX10 video card and until vista gets more updates, because, as of today, an upgrade to vista is just not worth the price, for me at least. Everything I need works flawlesly with XP, but I'll consider switching when I get my Geforce 8 or 9 video card :P

Thing is that most people really had to upgrade when all DOS operating systems were dropped when it came to software support. In response, the community swapped to 2000 or XP. However, there weren't any major issue when it came to software compatibility unless it required real DOS. However, that is fixed now by either the software manufacturer or using DOSBOX.xboxrulz