xisto Community

My websites that I have made (the very few ;)) have been made with div tags that center the page right in the middle of the users display. I have the text in the middle at 800x600 which nowadays should hopefully fit. I haven't had any complaints about the design so it seems to work!

The way I design is by designing to fit my own resolution. Once I have my site designed, I show it to a random sample of my target audience and ask them how it looks. I use their criticism and information on resolutions and color depth and whatnot to try and make my design work as well as I can. Then I simply put in a disclaimer at the bottom with the recommended resolution, browser, and whatnot. I find this tends to work pretty well. You can't cater to everybody, so you might as well cater to yourself, but be willing to make some concessions.~Viz

Yep, I always do it under my 800x600 resolution, but I have had no issue with higher resolutions as it's well centered for a larger fitting resolution (and can go smaller to reasonable extent), the only issue is text size, which people can change in the browser so fast with a quick key these days, it's practically non issue.

The best resolution for making your website would probably 800x600 giving respect to those that have not upgraded to a new computer already. But I believe most people now a days have 1024x768 resolution computers so you could always build your site in that resolution. But then you would also negate those that have not yet upgraded and may lose traffic because of that. But my recommendation is probably to go wit h the 1024 x 768 resolution because it provided you to put more depth in your design and content as well. People that have not upgraded their monitors probably wouldnt mind a little scrolling on your site so you should be safe. Just try to not go so high in resolution because a lot of people out there are cheap and probably have not forked over money for a new monitor yet. Good luck and have fun...

Well I suppose my monitor ain't new, and don't have any money at all to buy a new one, but people even on 17inch monitors like mine go with higher resolutions, however I can't stand sitting in computer desk chairs, or sitting so close, so I can't go higher in resolution, or I can't read or see anything too well lol.

I use my desktop computer and it is set at 800x600 so I can keep up with a lot of important text and such. And I use it for web site development. Usually when I am done setting up and I just want to do some web surfing, I use my wife and I's laptop... plus I just like to be able to run around with the laptop and it's still a close run with 800x600 and 1024x768. Like seeing the 640x480... That was what I used to get into with like older windows apps and older pc models.I am a bit lazy to use percentages in my web design (along with templates)... but I still think that either of the two popular settings are fine... it just means having to scroll here or there... I mean we already have to vertically scroll for content... why not horizontally, too.

I think having to scroll in both directions is a pain and eyesore, were very used to scrolling the other way obviously and it does make sense.I actually don't come across too many sites (aside from flash and the like), that really stretch the boundaries even though I am still on 800x600 resolution, which is pretty good.

In addition to to the text size increase decrease, I can say that on Safari and Firefox I don't like the zooming or the text size increase, but on Opera it is really comfortable to Zoom in or out, due to it zooms everything, text, layout, even images, which in my opinion is really better than zooming only the text size. ;)

Very true indeed.Does it allow just text, or specific item types though?I think that would be the most useful, and best for all types of circumstances (maybe you want to focus on the plain text more), or just images etc.

My site is set on 1024x768. Which is really small on my 22" CRT. But most people don't have that big of a monitor anyways. I've tried viewing my website on 800x600, it fits but it only stretches about 45 pixels. I'm not sure if I should make my website a bit smaller for people who use that resolution, but I don't think that many people use that resolution anymore.

It depends really I suppose.My method centers the site, and it can be stretched, so it fits well with 800x600 and has no problem under 1024x768 and beyond aside from text size, which as previously mentioned can be fixed by a quick key within I would say any browser these days.

I agree with wutske and Jeigh: use relative style sheets. When you make your CSS pages, don't define absolute values so that your site will resize itself to fit your viewer's window. However, that can be pretty messy sometimes if you don't do it well; some browsers may mess it up, and they might not see what you intended them to see, or perhaps they won't see anything at all!Since most people today are using monitors with at least 1024x768 resolution, design for that. I don't see many computers set to 800x600 nowadays - certainly, new computers are never set like that anymore - and when I do see a computer set to that resolution, I itch to go change it to 1024x768, because things just look too big to me on 800x600. So design for 1024x768, but make sure those who have 800x600 resolution and those who have a (useless) mass of toolbars in their browser can view your site properly too.Serena

I agree with wutske and Jeigh: use relative style sheets. When you make your CSS pages, don't define absolute values so that your site will resize itself to fit your viewer's window. However, that can be pretty messy sometimes if you don't do it well; some browsers may mess it up, and they might not see what you intended them to see, or perhaps they won't see anything at all!
Since most people today are using monitors with at least 1024x768 resolution, design for that. I don't see many computers set to 800x600 nowadays - certainly, new computers are never set like that anymore - and when I do see a computer set to that resolution, I itch to go change it to 1024x768, because things just look too big to me on 800x600. So design for 1024x768, but make sure those who have 800x600 resolution and those who have a (useless) mass of toolbars in their browser can view your site properly too.

Serena

Which relative value is the best to use for fonts to do this???? using ems or percentages values??? i want to replace all of the px values of some css font rules i have and i don't exactly know which one is better.

Best regards,

Well, although more and more people are getting monitors with higher and higher resolutions....many monitors still use 800x600 (some still smaller)....and so you should gear your site to be viewable by the most people...Another thing though, that was pointed out by some people here is that 800x600 does not mean you can make your website 800 pixels wide, 750 or so would be a better target...because if you don't have your window maximized all the way, or there are scrollbars, etc.... (and also lots of people have their favorites or something open on the side, which decreases the size noticeably).Still, one of the best things you can do is make it so that your website is scalable....make it so that if you have a bigger resolution it gets bigger, but yet you can still view the site on computers with lower resolutions perfectly fine....