xisto Community

Fonts should practically never be set to a percent. Three different scales were designed for working with fonts, ems, ens, and pts. I prefer to use pts, because ems and ens are defined based on the font, so using them to define fonts can cause some bad things for certain browsers. Pts are well defined in all cases though, at 1/72 in. which means they are resolution independent, but you can control really well the size of text on screen and printed.~Viz

To tell the truth, browsers could send much more headers about the user browser, including resolution and similar stuff, even though if something like that would happen, it wouldn't be a standard for all the browsers and that would be a problem, but really it would help a lot ;P And not only sending the resolution header, but much more about the system, js on off, css support and etc. ;)

Fonts should practically never be set to a percent. Three different scales were designed for working with fonts, ems, ens, and pts. I prefer to use pts, because ems and ens are defined based on the font, so using them to define fonts can cause some bad things for certain browsers. Pts are well defined in all cases though, at 1/72 in. which means they are resolution independent, but you can control really well the size of text on screen and printed.
~Viz

You have a good point regarding the use of points, you save a lot of trouble with css (print).

Best regards,

Sorry to be a bit off-topic here, but any good tips or tricks for font usage in web site?Is there some universally solid and sound font or combination to use?I think I use 2 fonts (the ones best suited for either larger or smaller texts, depending on whether I need smaller or larger texts).

The basic style usage I've heard is that you should use some extremely common sans-serif font for main text, and for headers possibly a serif font if you want a different font. I always use Arial for my sans-serif font, as I can't think of any OS that doesn't come with it pre-installed. I never use any serif fonts if I can help it, except for some pages designed to be printed.~Viz

I often times actually don't set a font...and just let the computer use its default...because user will be more likely to be used to whatever font that is, and so the website will be easier to read. A second thing is that all the standard fonts look fairly similar (unless the user has something strange set)...I find that no matter what I set a font to...there are going to be enough people that don't have it where it doesn't matter too much, so setting a particular font isn't something i generally do...

I usually set Verdana as my default sans-serif fonts, when i work with css i set Verdana, Arial, Sans-serif as my font set.Best regards,

Well, sometimes default fonts don't look really good, but who cares, I always set the font I want and see to be the best, that is usually Verdana or you can just write Sans-serif or any other font you want, due to if it won't exist on computer it will use its default font, a good idea is to set the size with pt or px if you want, but due to different resolutions, setting it with px can be quite uncomfortable, for some people it will be ok, for other to big for other to small. ;)

I use 1024x768, but I have used 1280x1024 before. It's a good idea to try and make your website work in different resolutions, if you can. Most people do use 1024x768 though.

I use 1024x768, but I have used 1280x1024 before. It's a good idea to try and make your website work in different resolutions, if you can. Most people do use 1024x768 though.

There exists some options to check if your website work fine in different resolutions, for example you can use The Screen Resolution Checker website, that allows you to check your website at 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024 resolution and in low or high quality. There are other options but right now i only remember this website.

According to this website the most common resolution is 1024x768 (57% January 2006) that matches -not exactly- the statistics at the w3Schools website (54% January 2007).

Best regards,

According to most statistics 1024 x 768 definitely is the most used today. I used to sometimes make my pages somewhere less than 1024 pixels wide and more than 800 so it fits fine in 1024 x 768 but people using 800 x 600 don't have to scroll left and right too much. However, 1280 x 1024 is beginning to become the second most used resolution so I would recommend making your webpages to fit perfectly in 1024 x 768.

Edited by ChrisAF07 (see edit history)