xisto Community
ratchetclan4

Computer Turns Self Off

sometimes my computer switches itself off at any moment without warning it just instantly turns off i don't know if its when i run some programs or not cause if i try to save something on windows movie maker it turns itself off and the turn on button won't work until i switch it off from the back and then back on anyone know whats wrong?

I would try running your computer in safe mode...

When your computer starts booting up, continuously press the F8 key until you get some options. Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to select Safe Mode.

Try doing whatever you usually do when your computer restarts. Try leaving it running in safe mode for about an hour. If your computer does not restart, it is probably because of a program. If your computer does restart then it is either an overheating issue as other people have suggested, or a hardware error.

Hope this helps!

If it doesn't happen right on boot, then I would test various applications of various functionality (is it a processor intensive program, video, audio, disk) etc.Also Windows Movie Maker (and anything like it), I have always found to be ridiculously unstable.

Its probably something to do with power or something, either that or a virus.my old computer always turned its self ON like in the middle of the night. it was weird.

i would suggest the same solution as faulty, as i have had the same problem and it was simply resolved by replacing the PSU (it was a very old one and could have dont with replacing, so i got a better one! :P)Sten, rather funny idea of your computer turning on in the middle of the night! I heard from a friend that they accidentally set a scheduled task to start at 3am instead of 3pm! So, of course, at 3am - on turns the computer :P

Aparantly according to my brother sitting behind me that it was all because of some maze game that was in the windows folder.lol, if u still have windows 98, see if theres a maze type game in the windows folder, im not sure if it came with the computer or it got on there somehow. anyway, it was fun but annoying at mid night.

i can imagine! Even though my computer is quite, it still wakes me up if it starts in the middle of the night! (who sets anti-virus updates to check at 12am really! :P)

Mine has 2 extra large fans, plus I have an HP inkjet 3950 in my room. I have my computer set to automatically restart after a power failure, which happens about twice per night. The fans, on startup, whir extremely loudly, and the inkjet clacks around for about 5 seconds. But I've gotten accustomed to it, and it doesn't wake me. Aside from power cuts, the computer starting up in the middle of the night is not a problem with me, as I leave it on all day and all night anyways -- just flick the screen off at night.

My computer turns itself off and then on by itself

Computer Turns Self Off

Hi guys, I have been reading your suggestions but this is my problem: my computer turns itself off and powers itself again. I already changed to a new power supply and it is still doing the same thing. I have taken it to CompUSA for repairs and to others and they keep telling me there is nothing wrong. I really need this computer for my house and I don't have anymore ideas. How about your techies? Would appreciate your help. Thanks.

-question by Denalilady

My computer switches off without warning and then needs fuse turning around!!!!!

Computer Turns Self Off

I hope you guys can help.

My computer switches off without warning under load or if two programs are running�.Now for the crazy bit if I then change the same fuse around in the plug it works?

I know this is usually a power source problem so have upgraded from 450watts to 700watts but that�s not it, Ram is the next thing but that seems fine when checked and would that cause the weird thing with the plug fuse? Perhaps my HDD is on its way out it says its 10 fragmented but this cant be defragmented but tells me this is ok and would that cause the fuse thing �The truth is I just don�t know and neither does anyone else I know so please help if you can.

Cheers

Bunty

-reply by Buntycoot

Computer turn itself off when printing more than 4 pages, why?

Computer Turns Self Off

Recently, my power supply (24 pin) is burnt. I change a new power supply(24 pin). It is not a branded.

On the sticker it list as :

Icube technology ATX-500W power supply

+12V : 8A

+5V : 16A

+3.3V : 12A

-5V : 0.5A

-12V : 0.5A

+5SBV : 1.5A

My hardware configuration is pentium 4 2.66Ghz (socket 775)

IDE hard disk

Floppy disk

Cdrom drive

Mainboard

My problem is as follow:

1. When I print a long document (7 to 10 pages) from openoffice calc, my computer will suddenly turn off after 2 pages with panasonic KXP1131 printer. If I change my printer to KCP1121, it will turn off after 4 pages.

2. When I open openoffice and typing letter with 5 to 6 pages, it can print normally with no problem.

3. When I open old spreadsheet file (big file with 5 to 6 pages) created with openoffice calc, it will also turn off.

* Computer turn off itself without any error message, just turn off suddenly. After each turn off, I need to switch off the power source and switch on again to turn on computer.

My question is whether the power supply that I change is not enough power? Or any other hardware is having a problem?

Thank you for reading and answering my post.

-question by alan

hi I just recently purchaced a pci express sapphire hd 2400 pro silent gph card and my pc has started powering off during gaming well when I say gaiming ive only been playing 1 game at the mo havent tryed any others,to start with I thought it was an overheating problem due to the passive heatsink but ive hooked my rear case fan back up wich keeps everything nice and cool and its still doing the same,I was using onboard before and was wondering if it might be a power suply issue mabye the extra load at times is making it fail? ty for any ideas yous could give me

-reply by colshy

Me TooComputer Turns Self Off

I've just recently had this problem occur, it has to be a faulty line of code in a devide driver... I'm trying to transfer files from my external e-Sata RAID enclosure (self-powered) to a network location.  If it weren't such a pain in the rear I'd install the drivers on the other computer and move the e-stat raid enclosure to it and back but I'd like this to work...

Anyways, sometimes right when I start it, sometimes a couple files in, sometimes a minute in, it just shuts off, no warning just poof.  Then I have to hit the power button and wait for the stupid thing to boot again.  Vista is so screwed up.  Who makes a direct power interrupt, much less a shutdown interrupt accessible from a file transfer operation.  Seriously.  This is the first time it's done it, never done anything really over the network like this and it is running stable everytime regardless of run time until I try to start this operation... 

I'm about to drop kick my computer...  I will get my second external drive from work tomorrow and get it transferred that way.  Sorry to all of you who seem to have this problem with more mundane tasks...  I'd return it if you can, re-install it if you can't.  Don't do any updates until you know it's not doing it with just the core OS running, then do them and test them one by one, programs same way.  You have to figure out where the conflict is coming from...

I have almost the same problem, my computer turns itself off and powers itself again immediately, this problem happens in a randomly form, it can be after one hour or after seven hours. the only thing that is true is that it happens every day since 2 weeks more or less.So, after reading all the suggestions posted before i decide to change the power supply to see what happens and unfortunately the problem still happen.I would appreciate any help.Best regards,

Hi, I have recently purchased a phenom 9650 quad core with asus motherboard. My computer just turns off (not restart) suddenly for many times. This is not during gaming or something power hungry application. It turns off any time without any warning . Sometimes the machine running smoothly for many hours without any problem but after that the same problem occurs.

another weird problem is that when power goes off (power cuts) my machine turns off without any backup from my ups but I checked my ups with another machine that it is giving almost 8 minutes backup with 17 inch crt monitors.

I suspect that this porblem is related to power supply unit (SMPS) so I send it for service. Can you help me to understand the problem?

-- PK (India)