xisto Community
Rs-Server

How To Change Your Ip Address. In Less Than one Minute, Change Your Ip

Ok I have DHCP enabled and my ISP says that I can't force an IP address in my system's network configuration.I know that Java chat rooms are incompatible with proxy servers as instead of connecting to the actual site, they will connect to the proxy server, which obviously doesn't have the file.Is there any way I can circumvent a Java chat room block? I'm not trying to go against DNS or proxies here, but this is just ridiculous.

Ok I have DHCP enabled and my ISP says that I can't force an IP address in my system's network configuration.I know that Java chat rooms are incompatible with proxy servers as instead of connecting to the actual site, they will connect to the proxy server, which obviously doesn't have the file.

OK, in your home network, usually, you have an ADSL modem or an ADSL switch or router.
Your PC, connected to the modem, has a private network address, usually something like 192.168.1.2
Your PC reaches the external world through a worldwide unique official IP address, something like 216.240.134.213.
This address is affected to you by your ISP.
Sometimes this address is fixed, sometimes it's given to you for a given period of time (typically 7 days). For instance, some ISP's give you a fixed address for free, some others change your IP address every week and ask you extra money if you want a fixed IP address.
This fixed IP is related to your physical position for accountings and maintenance purposes (in case of trouble they need to know on which phone line there is a problem, or where is the house which is not reachable). That's why they don't want to change these date, if they change something in your accounting data they need to inform absolutely everybody : the customer service people in case you call the hot line for declaring a problem, the phone company in order to tell them there is an internet connexion on this line and care should be given when unscrewing the cables, etc...
Thant's why you can use a fixed IP address if you want, but this fixed address is on your own network and is not visible from elsewhere.
The proxy is the device between you and the internet, it helps saying where you are and where to send the internet packets. So, the role of the proxy is essential. That's why the most simple thing is, when you install your PC, to install it as a DHCP client of your DHCP server (your router), which will provide all the necessary infos, like name-to-IP translations.
There is nothing really incompatible with a proxy server. Simply, some proxy servers are protected by firewalls. And some addresses are on the blacklist, by default, because they are known to be dangerous.
If you want to access a precise given Java chatroom and you cannot, first verify that your own PC has no problem (my Mc Afee advisor on my own PC doesn't like some sites and prevents myself from surfing on some sites) ; then ask your ISP to unlock the precise forum where you cannot go, they will be able to check why you cannot go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.
And, of course, trying to cheat on IP addresses is sometimes dangerous and sometimes stupid. Have a look at the IP address I just gave you some lines above the present one, suppose that you were able to configure this address on your PC, this IP address is the one of another computer somewhere on the world : your computer would be able to send queries to a website, and the answer would be shipped to the other computer, which would simply reject them as "this is not for me,sorry".
Hope this helped.
Yordan

Keep in mind, however, that changing your IP can have negative consequences. Changing it to something random will almost never work. Also, this changes the local IP of your machine, not the Global one. If your computer is connected to a router, the rest of the world will still think you have the same IP as the router's IP will not have changed.~Viz

-=Dubber609=-If you have a Dynamic IP Address, then you can easily change your IP address depending on your ISP. The 1st method listed will change your Global IP if you are not using a router. If you are using a router do this1. Log into your router. Type 192.168.1.1 into your web browser2.Look through the options, every router is different. Look for a "system" page or "status" page. It should have your IP address and should have an option to disconnect.3. Click disconnect and wait 5-10 minutes4. Click connect and your router will connect with your ISP, and with any luck you will be assigned a new IP address.

A couple comments:1] The instructions above should work if you have a direct connection to the internet (no router). If you're using a router and want to change your publicly viewable (internet) ip address, do this: login to your router control panel and change your mac address (maybe increase the last digit by 1, that's enough). Then disconnect/reconnect using the router control panel. Now check your ip address again. If any problems, switch back to the previous mac.2] People who need to frequently switch ip addresses can probably save a lot of time and headaches by using a software like the ip changer from iprivacytools.Just my two cents.

Sadly, this does not work for users of routers, such as myself. But, for people using modems rather than routers, this will be a useful guide. For anyone who does have a router, there is, however, a simple way to change your ip address, which is turning of the router for 20-60 minutes, depending on how close you are to your telephone exchange. In my case, I'm in a small town several miles away from an exchange, so it takes me the full hour. I'm sure most people here will have it take less time though.

I have been changing my IP with different methods but this seems faster. I use Miles way of changing (because of my router). However for some reason my IP changes automatically every 10 days or so. It bugs me a bit because I can't be a server without fixing that problem first. I would get everything set up then in a few days my "dynamic" IP would change and my site would move. It isn't a big problem but sometimes it would be nice to host my own team speak or Ventrilo rather then using someone else's host.Also: A little confused does the method explained in this topic change you output IP to whatever you want or is it random like it is normally. I don't know much about IP's other then they are four numbers from 1 to 255.Thanks,Sparkx

Edited by sparkx (see edit history)

Also: A little confused does the method explained in this topic change you output IP to whatever you want or is it random like it is normally. I don't know much about IP's other then they are four numbers from 1 to 255.

With your Internal IP Address (192 range) you can choose whatever you want effectively. If your Router/Modem has DHCP then your computer is assigned an IP when it connects to the Router/Modem. You can easily give the computer a static ip address (Internal). Windows is a little more complicated (you have to go to the control panel, the device properties and change the TCP/IP properties) whereas linux just enter the command posted before.
Changing your external IP address (The Real Address that websites identify you by) is harder because this is assigned by your ISP. If you have a dynamic address (as most people have) it can be hard. Normally, restarting my modem will get me a new ip address from my ISP. this process takes all of a few minutes to power down the modem and then let it power back up and get a new ip address. Most of the time I dont turn the modem off which means I keep the same IP all the time.

You can also use services like DynDNS (http://dyn.com/dns/) which won't keep your IP the same, but will give you a subdomain that you choose that links back to your ever changing IP. There software on your computer will update there database with a current IP and your subdomain will link back to your computer. I'm not sure if you can use this for TS or Ventrilo (do you need to have an IP or can it be an address?)
Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

how to change ip address on toshiba satellite a215 series

How To Change Your Ip Address.

How do I change the ip address on my toshiba satellite a215 series laptop with (vista)amd turion 64 mobile technology

-mike stehber

How do I change my ip location?Like I come from new zealand, and warrock(a online game) doesnt support my area. I was wondering how to change my location to say amirica.Thanks-Liam

Notice from yordan:
Liam : you can only change your local IP address, inside your home network, which is useful if you have several computers in your house. Your international IP address, visible from outside, is given by your Internet provider, you cannot change it.

thank you for the great tips, but wouldn't it better if i use proxy? with proxy, i think you can pretend you come from different countries and you can try out lot of things. there is a site release the new and working proxy on a daily basis.

thank you for the great tips, but wouldn't it better if i use proxy? with proxy, i think you can pretend you come from different countries and you can try out lot of things. there is a site release the new and working proxy on a daily basis.

That's right, your international IP address appears as being the IP address of your proxy. However, reliable proxies are not so easy to find.

Is there like a number of times you can change your ip adress?????

IS there like some limit on how many thimes you can change your ip adress??????

-A Person

QUESTION???

OK so like I want to get on this site called vmk.. But I got banned :( it bans your ip adress so I changed it but it still wont let me on :( I think it might be bc you need 2 change the isp/ip adress .. So do you now a way I could do that easiley without calling people?? Please help lol thx!

-A person :D