xisto Community
Rs-Server

How To Change Your Ip Address. In Less Than one Minute, Change Your Ip

Is there like a number of times you can change your ip adress?????

How To Change Your Ip Address.

IS there like some limit on how many thimes you can change your ip adress??????

-A Person

I think your ISP provides you with a limited number of IP addresses, mine gives me up to 4 IPs (certified, dynamic) a month. If you're behind a rounter you'll be only using one of the IPs, so to change your IP you have to get a switch only or connect directly to the DSL/cable modem and do the trick.

Keep in mind that you can't change your IP unlimited times. Try getting a switch (or making your router works as a switch only) to see if you can get a different IP address.

And if you have more than 1 ethernet port on your computer (less likely) you can just swap ports to get a new IP, though this would only work if you're not connected to a router, this means your IP can't be a LAN one (like 192.168.0.1).

Nice tutorial! But in dynamic local IP with ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew I could change my local IP in less then 10 secs.In static local IP by 1. Right clicking the My Network Places 2. Right clicking the LAC (LAN)3. Double clicking the TCP/IP4. Change the IP Address5. Click OKStill less then 10 secs. Provided that the IP address works. No need to ipconfig/release. ;)

Personally, I'd say Tor is an easier (and better) way to change your IP address. Tor is meant to help people browse anonymously, so it automatically assigns a random IP address available to you. It then routes the data to several different computers before finally making it to you (to obscure the location of the actual data transfer). The downsides, are, of course, that Tor can be highly slow, since it chooses to take the data through a more complicated route than normal.I basically just use Tor whenever I find the need to hide my identity, so I use the Tor extension for Firefox. This extension lets me turn Tor on and off quite easily (it's located on the status bar) whenever I need to. Granted, turning Tor on and off in the actual program itself isn't all that hard either, but now I have browser to browser control of Tor's enabling/disabling, which is quite cool.

No need to ipconfig/release. ;)

If you are in DHCP mode, you need to ipconfig/release.release tells the server that this address is not in use any more, it's released.
then you click "renew" and the dhcp server gives you a new address.
this is the correct way to do this, and it's necessary when you switch networks : at home you are on your own network, you release. then you go to your girl-friend home, and you renew. if you don't do that way, you could have your home network address which will be refused by the gateway at your girl-friend home.
Sorry if I did a mistake, you could also read "boy-friend" if you are a girl, of course.

If you are in DHCP mode, you need to ipconfig/release.release tells the server that this address is not in use any more, it's released.
then you click "renew" and the dhcp server gives you a new address.
this is the correct way to do this, and it's necessary when you switch networks : at home you are on your own network, you release. then you go to your girl-friend home, and you renew. if you don't do that way, you could have your home network address which will be refused by the gateway at your girl-friend home.
Sorry if I did a mistake, you could also read "boy-friend" if you are a girl, of course.

Yes yordan I know. What did I say in my previous post?

But in dynamic local IP with ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew I could change my local IP in less then 10 secs.

What I meant in the previous post is I don't need ipconfig/release is if I have a static IP. Static is not a DHCP right?
You know I been in network maintenance for nearly three years. ;)
I assumed that this topic is about changing IPs in the network because it is not easy to change the external IP unless you have a dynamic internet connection.

I assumed that this topic is about changing IPs in the network because it is not easy to change the external IP unless you have a dynamic internet connection.

The topic concerns changing your local home IP address, which has nothing to do with your public address, which cannot be changed except by an international network admin.And people want to change their internation address because of having been banned from IP-based controlled sites (like asta, for instance). This topic does not explain how to do that, because it's simply not possible.
So, no need to ask the same question again, simply forget about it. I think I will simply close this topic. ;)

Hi, I changed my IP address following the guide on the first post, but now I can't use MSN and alot of sites. It keeps coming up with "The page cannot be displayed", as it is pretty obvious I am not very computer literate and really need some help with this.Is there any possible way to reverse it?Thanks. :)-reply by Emma B

Can anyone answer Emma B's post please?

OK, Emma B, let's start the diagnosis.First of all, what did you do exactly ? And, when changing things, did you write down (on a piece of paper for example) the previous settings in order not to forget them ?
Secondly, I guess that you did what is written in the first topic, the one with the steps 1 - 2 - 3 .... Where did you stop ? You probably stopped at step 14, am I right ?
Please tell us this first, so we will be able to know what to do in order to go back.
Regards
Yordan

I did steps 1-20, I only wrote down my old IP address not the subnet mask or anything (not sure if that's important?).My computers location has now changed from my homecity to my internet providers...I really am a newb at computers as you've probably guessed. Is there anychance i'm using some kind of illegal IP address and that's whats stopping me from accessing some sites? Or maybe my provider needs to validate an IP or something?

Edited by Sirettx (see edit history)

OK, now do just steps 1 to 14, and type the IP address you wrote down, but the mask at step 12 should be :255.255.255.0And then retry after step 14.Also, if it does not work, in order to help understand, do the following : 1. Click on "Start" in the bottom left hand corner of screen2. Click on "Run"3. Type in "command" and hit okNow, in the "command" prompt, type ping http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ should have and answer like "Answer from 216.240.134.213"Please keep us informed.

Yes, some sites are accessible and other aren't. I use Internet Explorer and how so you mean proxy defined?

Also, thanks alot for helping out, it is really appreciated. :)

OK, now, I suggest a simple test : install Firefox (another browser, simply not Microsoft, completely independent).

I suggest portable firefox, take it from here : http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

It's sompletely standalone, you put the file somewhere on your hard disk, you double-click on the file Firefox_Portable_2.0.0.12_en-us.paf.exe in order to uncompress it, and you run the file FirefoxPortable.exe in the expanded folder.

Then you have a fully working firefox web browser, you can surf with it.

If this works, if firefox works correctly, this means that the problem is in Internet explorer.

If further you don't want to use it any more, you simply remove the files from your pc, this software is a standalone one, it's not installed.

If Firefox happens not to work, this means that the problem is inside your PC firewall.

Firefox is only allowing the same sites as my Internet Explorer. This might be a dumb question but is there anyway I can restore my old firewall settings, system restore wouldn't work?