xisto Community
WeaponX

Sharing Printer On Another Computer

I have 3 computers that are all connected wirelessly and are able to share files. All have files and printer sharing enabled also.I have my laptop here that's connected to a USB printer. I shared the printer and just called it Printer. I tried to connect to this printer from one of the other computers and added it via Network->Server option. I typed in \\laptopsComputername\Printer and it automatically changed the shared name to the actual printer name I have on my laptop. I didn't care since it was still detected/seen. So I printed out a document from that other computer. I see it in the queue from that computer and my laptop, but it's not budging. Is there any way to release this job or perhaps I did something wrong? I already tried to restart the print job to no avail.All 3 computers are using Windows XP.Thanks.

using windows xp on all the computers, when you connect to the printer windows should automatically install drivers.1. Goto My Computer, Click My Network Places (Explorer Bar).2. Click View Workgroup Computers (Explorer Bar)3. Find the computer that has the printer physically connected to it, open it4. Find the printer and right click it!5 Select Connect... and wait for the drivers to install.this should install the print drivers and install the printer on your computer. the printer should now be available in print dialogs i.e. word etc etc and from the Control Panel > Printers window.tell us how it goes-jimmy

I found the printer in the network and chose Connect. It asked me if I wanted to install the printer drivers. I clicked yes. Everything looks like it went through until I do the printing. Same thing happens...it's stuck in the print queue. I tried restarting the print job to no avail. It prints fine once I print directly on my computer.I want to try installing the drivers manually on the other computers if that makes any difference. But how to do I network them? Will this work -> \\MyComputerName\SharedPrinter

I found the printer in the network and chose Connect. It asked me if I wanted to install the printer drivers. I clicked yes. Everything looks like it went through until I do the printing. Same thing happens...it's stuck in the print queue. I tried restarting the print job to no avail. It prints fine once I print directly on my computer.
I want to try installing the drivers manually on the other computers if that makes any difference. But how to do I network them? Will this work -> \\MyComputerName\SharedPrinter

Have you isolated whether this happens on only one PC or more than one?

what printer is this? what brand and model?some printer drivers are not designed to be installed from the network but they will work when installed locally. sometimes you need to do some dirty works to make it work specially if you have incompatible drivers with regards to the current OS and patches.

This problem is happening to my other laptop and the desktop. The printer I have here is connected via USB to my laptop.This is an HP 1018 LaserJet printer.

This problem is happening to my other laptop and the desktop. The printer I have here is connected via USB to my laptop.
This is an HP 1018 LaserJet printer.

Have you tried manuually installing the diver on every computer as sudgested above?

Make sure you actually use the assigned shared name of the printer. I always use windows to do that and then it usually says that the host doesn't have the correct print driver installed and then I just browse to the .ini file on my server. If something doesn't work, just go back to the begining. On the remote computer (the one the printer ISN'T connected to), delete the printer. Start using the add printer wizard and then choose network printer and then browse to the location of it. That always works for me.[N]F

printer sharingSharing Printer On Another ComputerReplying to WeaponXI have the same problem with hp1018. I can see job in the que, but it cant be deleted. All jobs are printed after computer restart (the one printer is attached to)Paper settings are the same (A4) on all posible places. All rights are set.It started to work this way after all computers are joined to domain.Any ideas?-reply by milena

In a normal situation, the most option to share a printer is either to buy a wireless printer (Many new models are coming out with inbuilt wireless) or a networked print utilising an Ethernet connection. However, you may also want to look at a network USB hub to share USB devices like external hard disk drives and printers across a network (In this case, you would only need to install the relevant driver software that comes with the network USB hub in order to access those networked USB devices).

In a normal situation, the most option to share a printer is either to buy a wireless printer (Many new models are coming out with inbuilt wireless) or a networked print utilising an Ethernet connection. However, you may also want to look at a network USB hub to share USB devices like external hard disk drives and printers across a network (In this case, you would only need to install the relevant driver software that comes with the network USB hub in order to access those networked USB devices).

i share printers on windows7 and vista very good way better :o

how to connect printer to 6 pc.Sharing Printer On Another ComputerHi this is bharat I want to know that how to attech printer to my 6 pc because I have a cafe & realy I don't no so pls tell me ans thanks...-question by bharat nautiyal