xisto Community
mustra

Rubik's Cube, How Many Faces Do You Do ?

On Beauty and the Geek, they had the guy who held the world record for solving it blindfold

How would you even know when it was solved. They're exactly the same, except for the colors of the stickers.
[
Yeah, I guess it's just this dork with a sack over his head doing this for hours on end, then someone tells him when he's done it.

It's a good program, and toy. I don't have one anymore, mainly because it's so frustrating.

hello, new to the board.

I know there are tons of people that can solve them (Rubik's cubes) and they have only 9 faces per each of the 6 sides. there is a Rubik's product with 16 faces but it is called Rubik's revenge. I don't know if the same inventor designed it though or not. The Rubik's was fun back in the day but I have not had one in years and so had not thought of them until I came across a page recently that had a magnetic one. It is a brilliant concept. Here are a few links for those interested.

(also note I had heard rumors for years that the cube was invented in ancient Greece before they even had the materials that would allow them to make them but I have found nothing to support this information to date)

WIKIPEDIA on the subject: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

how to so you can make your own magnetic Rubik's cube (there is even a place to buy stickers to decorate it):

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

and about that guy doing it blind folded? I found this getting the above link:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation to those sites and they are for informational purposes only. I hope they help.

as for my own thought on the subject I think they should design something that is blue tooth or WiFi based with LED's for the faces so they can change color and allow two or more people to link up and play a Rubik's version of puzzle fighter. as you get closer to solving the puzzle it re scrambles your opponents cubes more :)

rubix cube, i think its typed that way, there are only 2 persons in the world that can complete the hole cube, my record stands in 4 faces, im still trying to beat it, how about you, how many faces do you do ?

Yeah there are probably thousands of people who can do it... I can do it :(... But the people who do it really really fast are fewer and farther between. I'm not a speed solver--it takes me about 90 seconds--but the number of people who do it that fast are more than you would think... I alone know also at least 4 of my friends can also solve it in about the same time as me. It's what I do when I'm supposed to be studying. Well, that, or I'm posting on these forums haha.

The rubix cube has been the greatest challenge in my life that I will never have the time in the world to solve but it will be a challenge that I will eventually overcome in upcoming years, heh. But as for the comment of only 2 people in the world that can solve the rubix cube, I know of 3 or 4 people from my circle of friends that can solve the rubix cube. So if I know a couple im sure there are plenty in the world that knows how to solve the rubix cube. My friends maybe not be able to complete it in record time but I have seen and challenged them to figure it out and impressingly enough they were able to. I guess patience and concentration is very important in solving the cube but of the two, there is also another important factor which is time. And the time to complete it maybe from just a couple of hours, to maybe months and years to complete depending on your current state of concentration in trying to complete it. Me, however, I currently just play with it whenever I am bored or just have nothing else to do and wanted to kill sometime in mindless fun. Its ofcourse a great puzzle that sometimes makes you just stress and want to throw it aside, but its a mystery that keeps you pushing on till you can solve its little puzzle. I have tried many times and am able to only solve two faces of the rubix, the more I try the more I mess it up, haha. Its either that or I just mess up the side I solved to find another face. Eventually in time I know I will be able to finish it, its just takes focus and time, to try to solve it under stress is not always good either so I probably wait for the next time I am relaxed and wanted to challenge my mental state of mind.

I can solve all six. :( Its not that hard once you do it a lot. I had to watch a video tutorial on youtube to get it down though. I think my fastest time right now is like 2:30 or something. Haven't done it in a while. :P

The regular 3X3 only takes a few minutes for most people to complete. You really cannot do it face by face but rather making it from the top down. Once you know how to do the rubics cube it is very easy to do allowing some people to do it with their eyes closed. Once you know how to do the 3 by 3 you can do any odd number one (assuming that you can get the middle pieces correct). I think their is a guy that can do a 3 By 3 in just 11 seconds but I am not sure if that is true. Seems a bit too fast unless you already knew were all the pieces were. Anyway I can do all 6 faces but I don't time myself I on it. I know it doesn't take more then 2:30 for me to do it which is about the same amount of time that most people can do it in. So it's not strange to do all 6 faces, its the person that can do 5 that makes you wounder....Thanks,Sparkx

Edited by sparkx (see edit history)

I think the record is even faster than that.. closer to 7 or 8 seconds.. and yes, when they attempt a record with it, they are allowed 60 seconds--I'm unsure of that time--to look the cube over and decide what they want to do. Then as soon as they move their first piece the timer starts.

I am 31 years old.... I have grown up with the Rubik's cube. Nowadays, it is like some kind of nostalgic phenomenon, but when I was growing up, it was something to play with. Not only did we have the basic cube, it came in different forms... like cubes, pyramids and spheres.So I don't remember how long it took me to finish each phase, but my sister excelled at it much better and faster than I did... Now that I think about it, I might have to go look for my old cubes... Have fun, and don't give up, because it is very possible to beat!- skedad -

I can do all six, usually in about a minute or so. There are many, many people who can solve it. Just about anyone could solve a Rubik's cube, if they learned the specific technique necessary to solve it. There is only one way, not matter how it is scrambled. If you try to do it by guessing, you have such a miniscule chance of solving it, something like one in 79 billion or something, I don't remember the exact number. The correct way to solve it uses three different layers; the first two don't require any algorithm memorization, but the third requires quite a bit. People can complete a cube in a short time because they combine the first two layers and then remember a great amount of algorithms for the third, so that no matter how it is set up at the beginning they require the shortest combination of moves to complete it. I can do the first two layer combination, and I know all the basic algorithms for the third, plus a few shortcuts, which is how I can get it down to about a minute.There are also 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 cubes sold commercially, and much bigger, though those are rare to find. I have no experience solving a 5x5x5, but I can do the 4x4x4 in about 8 minutes. It's solved the same way as a normal one, but there are a bunch of steps before you get to that point. Have fun.

It is easily solvable, in fact, it is so easy..I can do it within 30 seconds!Just follow the correct " algorithms" so to speak and you will have an easy time of it!There are so many correct ways to get to the solving of the cube!They have names for the faces, and sides and using those you can learn how to solve the cube!I myself have experience but if anyone needs help!I would be glad to post a full length tutorial on how to do it!

Like Jersey said its all algorithms that you need to remember and then you can solve it with out a problem.First off you don't solve faces, you solve layers (top, middle, bottom). Starting with the top layer. Now getting the top layer doesn't mean just the top face. It means the top face and the entire top third of the rubik cube. Then you do the second, then the third.I could post a entire tutorial if someone wanted it. All it is is tons of algorithms to remember.

Rubic Cube SolutionRubik's Cube, How Many Faces Do You Do ?Actually, I am able to solve the ground and middle layer and also to solve the top most part of rubic. My problem is that I am not able to solve the rest part of top layer. Help me if you can.-reply by Dipesh Raj

I don't think there are only 2 people who can solve the rubix cube. Personally I can solve the rubix cube although u need to give me a good 5-10 minutes or so to work it out.Some of the videos on youtube of people finishing rubix cubes in seconds are quite amazing!It requires alot of training and thought but once you get the hang of it the patterns become easy to spot and easy to twist around and make the faces all the same colour.

On youtube there's this amzing video of a 81 by 81 cube, which someone actually managed to do. And I also think that it's impossible to do 5 faces because for all the other one's to be complete none can be out of place, so therefore the 6 face has to be complete. I think the max you can do without solving it is 4 or so, becuas for every 1 you miss out another one has to have been mucked up. Neone agree or disagree with me?