xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Darkwolf11235

The Mentos And Diet Coke Reaction

Done that experiment a lot of times at school. Never was really amazed by it though.

The movie you're looking for is, on the other hand, quite neat. This is the one;

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

edit : Oh crapberries.

"This video has been removed due to copyright infringement."

These vids are not the same as the fountain one ... But something.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

to put it simply, mentos causes an instability to the solubility of carbon dioxide in the soda resulting in the rapid release of gas. because there is only a small opening and a relatively small surface area. the carbon dioxide doesn't quite fully release but remains encapsulated in tiny bubbles.... these tiny bubbles of rapidly expanded gas has a much greater volume than the 2l bottle.... and voila!!!

This is the link that I had. My Quicktime isn't working right, but it has alot of video's for the 'Mento's Experiment'. Mento's and Diet Coke Videos. I don't know if this was the link that was posted here in the forums before or if this was the link I got from an email, but I hope it works for you. By the way, did anyone see the David Letterman Show when they did the Mento's thing on it? It was pretty funny.

to put it simply, mentos causes an instability to the solubility of carbon dioxide in the soda resulting in the rapid release of gas. because there is only a small opening and a relatively small surface area. the carbon dioxide doesn't quite fully release but remains encapsulated in tiny bubbles.... these tiny bubbles of rapidly expanded gas has a much greater volume than the 2l bottle.... and voila!!!

Doesn't explain WHY it happens in Diet Coke and not in Regular Coke. I'm not a pop expert, but what is the difference between regular and diet?? That difference could be the reason why it erupts!

Also, who on earth thought of putting MENTOS in DIET COKE?? I never would think of something as crazy as that... :unsure:

[N]F

Doesn't explain WHY it happens in Diet Coke and not in Regular Coke. I'm not a pop expert, but what is the difference between regular and diet?? That difference could be the reason why it erupts!

Also, who on earth thought of putting MENTOS in DIET COKE?? I never would think of something as crazy as that... :unsure:

[N]F

that would be me..

me and me alone..

i wont waste any mentos moments that i can have. all of them..

I didn't quite realize that it was unique to diet coke versus coke. perhaps the sugars greatly stabilize the CO2; something which aspartame cannot replace? clearly, if there is a difference in the way mentos reacts with coke versus diet coke then it must lie in the differences of their ingredients (or in their amounts). if someone wants to test this, try 7up versus diet 7up. would this change the game? what about pepsi?

What? It doesn't happen with regular coke? Wierd. I was hoping of trying this out pretty soon, but now I've got to hunt for diet coke cause it isn't all that easily available near my home.

did anyone tried that on regular coke?i read some letters and comments months ago that they also work on other kind of soda drinks such as regular coke and even pepsi..i never tried to verify that, put simply.. i was lazy to even try if it will work..

well let all of us know once someone tries this with a non-diet soda. heck go purist. Try club soda! that should be different. also... add just a little bit of soap before you add the mentos. make sure the soap is fully dispersed and when you mix it try not to make too many bubbles or release too much CO2. The soap may change the chemistry.... Let us know what you find!

Did you know the guys who made the mentos video netted at least $30,000? That's from one website.
here's an article on it from Silicon Valley.com

YouRubes ... Here's a metric to chew on: YouTube accounts for 60 percent of all online video viewing. That's an astonishing achievement for a site just 17 months old, but one that's not without its problems -- two in particular: copyright and artist compensation. In July, Robert Tur sued YouTube after video he shot of the beating of trucker Reginald Denny during the 1992 Los Angeles riots was posted to the site without his permission. Others like him will surely follow. And while YouTube says it's protected from such legal attacks under a federal law that shields online services from liability for copyright violations its customers may commit, that argument loses potency if the service profits from infringements. One could argue that YouTube is doing just that by running ads in its search results, and someone surely will. The courts will almost certainly end up deciding that one.
But the bigger question here, and to my mind the more interesting one, is this: How long will the people who create the videos that are YouTube's lifeblood be satisfied with attention as the only form of compensation? How long before they demand payment, or leave YouTube for video-sharing site Revver, which shares advertising revenue with clip makers? According to BusinessWeek, that video of the Mentos fountain that was an Off Topic here back in June made its creators, Fritz Grobe and Stephen Voltz, about $30,000 when it was posted to Revver. But Grobe and Voltz estimate they could have made double that had fans not posted copies of the video to YouTube. Suffice to say, they're not too happy with YouTube right now. And I'm sure their are plenty of others like them. How long before more clip makers catch on and begin taking their content to an outfit that will pay them for it? Seems to me, user-created content is finally beginning to come of age.

I do not understand what is so great about doing these mentos experiments. It lasts for what, about 5-10 seconds? I am sure that carbonated beverage companies are loving the profits that people are giving them to do these experiments. I never even heard of this until about 5 months ago. Now, it seems like the coolest thing to do.I've watched a couple of people try it out, but it really becomes old after watching it a few times. I just wish someone could give a good scientific explanation of what happens. That way people will know what happens when they do whatever and the current fad will be over. :-)Have a great day everyone!

I just wish someone could give a good scientific explanation of what happens. That way people will know what happens when they do whatever and the current fad will be over.

Well, actually there is already a scientific explanation given. You just do a search on the web and i'm pretty sure you would find it. Briefly, it is about a reaction between the substance arabic gum found in mentos and carbon dioxide in the water/cola. All the Co2 is forced to be released and thus you see a fountain spouting out of the Coke.

Anyway, I personally feel that the experiment is pretty cool. And it is precisely that reason that people are conducting the so-called mentos experiment. Heck, i think for years to come, people would be conducting the mentos experiment, unless of course something happened to mentos or CO2 is outlawed in our beverages. Something like that...