xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Darkwolf11235

The Mentos And Diet Coke Reaction

Aha, I love this experiment. I haven't done it myself (mainly because my mom would kill me for making a mess), but I've seen it a lot of times. Mythbusters, a TV program on the Discovery Channel, did many experiments to find out the ingredients in Diet Coke and Mentos that cause the reaction. They found out that the Mentos actually have a lot of nucleation sites (holes) on its surface, which allows the carbon dioxide in the Diet Coke to escape as a gas. The active ingredients in the experiment would be gum arabic and gelatin in the Mentos and aspartame, potassium benzoate, and caffeine in the Diet Coke. When these ingredients react, they force all the carbon dioxide in the Diet Coke to escape, which causes the huge eruption.Serena

Replying to baby bearIt's actually not the carbonation or the caffeine. I'm not sure what actually causes the reaction but I tried this with coke, diet coke, sprite, and pepsi. They all had about the same reaction which told me it wasn't the caffeine (sprite doesn't have caffeine in it). This lead me to assume that it was the carbonation. Thus I conducted this experiment with carbonated water. I got no reaction at all. I'm also sure that its not the sugar because Diet Coke doesn't have sugar in it. The reason this phenomenon occurs is still a mystery to science.-CoolJim

can i get more information and where?

Hi people I'm doing a science project for my science fair in march. My project is about what happens when you put mentos into a diet coke. I'm in the 6th grade I really need alot of information on this so if you can help then email me back. PLEASE! =D

-COCOPUFFS12

A Q on Dr. Win Wenger

Hi,

Iv read your post on Dr. Win Wenger techniques, and would like to know which books have these techniques in??

-Read faster and learn more quickly

- Solve problems like a genius

- Score higher on tests

- Build self-esteem

- Improve your memory

- Induce a state of total creative absorption

- Access powerful subconscious insights through visualization

- Increase your intelligence

HA1CH.MAN

-reply by HA1CH.MAN

Theres A Video Of Mythbusters And Others Doing This Experiment On Youtube!Doing Them In All Different DirectionsIts Very CoolIt Goes 4 About %mins Of All These Coke Bottles Creating A Fountain You Would Never Of Thought It Was Coke!-reply by Madiie Rourke

there is no reaction between diet coke and mentosThe Mentos And Diet Coke Reaction

how to create the most powerful diet coke mentos reaction?

when you open a bottle of coke, C02 bubbles are formed due to loss in pressure. However due to water's natural viscosity and tensional force this process is slowed down dramatically. When you dissolve mentos in coke(or whatever I didnt observe when I did it) the gum arabic(a type of sticky substance used to add mass to mentos and other candies) reduces this surface tension causing rapid release of gas, causing foam which shoots out as the 'explosion'. 

-reply by gryphon212

Mentos have a lot of tiny holes on them (think of the moon's surface), and diet coke is carbonated. When you drop the mentos in, the carbon dioxide in the soda comes out into the tiny holes on the mentos, and it happens very fast. The bubbles float to the top very fast. The aspritame and caffiene increase the effects, thus having the bubbles rocket out so fast that the some of the soda is dragged along, thus creating the large fountain of soda.

the reacition to the mentos in the pop is only a chemical reation the truth is the mentios has a lot of tiny holes adn diet coke is carbonated when u drop the mentios inn the carbon dioxide in the soda comes out into the tiny holes and it happens very fast.

You Can!!!The Mentos And Diet Coke Reaction

You can use M&MS or Skittles but You can only use Mentos with Pepsi Max maybe you can with regular Pepsi

-reply by joshua01px2018