xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Darkwolf11235

The Mentos And Diet Coke Reaction

anyhow, i quite dont understand that why its only Coke that is suffering the Mentos reaction problems...Isnt Diet Pepsi too in the ring of reactionaries? well i guess it should be. But however coke is the only one being used in experiments by people all over.I think this reaction doesn't happen with general coke. Also i wonder wat would happen if a person drank quite a bit of diet coke and had a mentos???

IT WORKS ! IT WORKS! ... one tiny one that i discovered REQUIREMENTS:1) Colgate dental gel2) Potassium permaganate3) Calcium carbonate4) Wateradd them in small quantities and in the acending order....take care and dont blow ureself up, because the reaction though harmless is exothermic and gives out a very harsh minty odour.....

IT WORKS ! IT WORKS! ... one tiny one that i discovered
REQUIREMENTS:
1) Colgate dental gel
2) Potassium permaganate
3) Calcium carbonate
4) Water

add them in small quantities and in the acending order....
take care and dont blow ureself up, because the reaction though harmless is exothermic and gives out a very harsh minty odour.....

idk if the Potassium being "Potassium permaganate" would make a difference, but when you mix potassium and water, it does create an explosion, maybe adding the other stuff destablized the potassium a little, but not enough to cause a large explosion.

Anyways, there was something on mythbusters a few months back with mentos and soda and they actually came up with the whole formula and exactly why it would cause such a violent reaction. Unfortunatly I can niether remember what it was or find it on their site. But their site does have a link to a video of a chain reaction of like 1000 2 liters with mentos you might be interested in.

Is it make difference what mentos to use? And how do you thinks will it work for coke and mentos made in another country thank USA? And sorry, but where find Diet Coke ? And saw only Coka-Cola.Will it work for Pepsi or Pepsi Lite (the last is diet... )

Edited by Ally (see edit history)

i found this about the science behind mentos and diet coke from the makers website!

Making Lots of Bubbles
These chemists are saying that the primary cause is physical, not chemical. Their explanation: nucleation sites. If you have a liquid that is supersaturated with gas (like soda, which is pumped full of carbon dioxide), a nucleation site is a place where the gas is able to form bubbles. Nucleation sites can be scratches on a surface or specks of dust â anywhere that you have a high surface area in a very small volume. That's where bubbles can form.

Mentos seem to be loaded with nucleation sites. In other words, there are so many microscopic nooks and crannies on the surface of a Mento that an incredible number of bubbles will form when you drop it in a bottle of soda. Since the Mentos are also heavy enough to sink, they react with the soda all the way to the bottom. The escaping bubbles quickly turn into a raging foam, and the pressure builds dramatically. Before you know it, you've got a big geyser happening!

quoted from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

its pretty amazing how it works! but its a very simple explanation

Ok i've done this quite a bit and watched lots of vidoes. Eppy bird are the people who originally created the massive chain reaction video. It's on their website somewhere.Also, the reaction does work with non diet coke, pepsi, and diet pepsi. It works with other soda but isn't as spectacular as using coke. As to why and all the science stuff, i have no idea.I've looked for the active reactant in mentos that causes this on the web and haven't been able to find one. So as far as scientific usefulness goes, coke + mentos is probably useless. But you have to admit, it is fun.Has anyone managed to put the cap on a 2 liter before the reaction takes place? I've tried but it all happens too fast and I just end up soaked. If you could get the cap on, the reaction would have a little more time to reach explosiveness before it blows everything out of the bottle. Theorically, it would either blow up the 2liter entirely, or launch the cap an insanely far distance. <Legacy2007>

My teacher tried to do it at school, but it became a complete failure.
Our ingredients were:
2 Litre diet coke
1 regular mentos

by the way, I merged the two topics into the original one.

xboxrulz

that's your problem. it takes about a full tube of mentos to get a sizable reaction all dropped in at the same time.

if you wanna know the reaction between mentos and diet coke all you would have to do is search on google video or youtube Mythbusters and pick the diet coke and mentos episode they did this experiment and they thought it is quite cool and they also did some other experiments with bubbles and stuff.

if you wanna know the reaction between mentos and diet coke all you would have to do is search on google video or youtube Mythbusters and pick the diet coke and mentos episode they did this experiment and they thought it is quite cool and they also did some other experiments with bubbles and stuff.

Yeah, the Mythbusters got it narrowed down pretty darn well. They even established a world record by creating the largest mentos-and-coke-induced-fountain ever. It was a combination of both certain ingredients in diet coke and mentos. They simply extracted most of the ingredients from a diet coke, and put them in separate bottles,pulling the old "Sherlock Holmes test of elimination". They concluded that a few ingredients were the cause of the massive reaction, but I can't say for sure which ones. But as mentioned before, it's also because of nucleation. When zoomed into, a mentos has the surface of a golf ball, with little craters in it. A chain reaction from millions of these craters is triggered when cast into coke, causing the ray of water to burst from the bottle.
It does take a certain brand, and the authentic mentos though, and a single mentos can be sufficient. The Mythbusters enhanced the effect by adding an extension on the bottle that would narrow the ray, thus increasing power, causing the coke to actually burst up for quite a height. (it blew over their workshop)

Yeah... pretty cool right? I have just read about it couple of weeks back when I was reading about the incident of someone dying from helium inhalation.
Anyway, I have a crazy idea. Kids, please just read this ONLY and please... don't try to attempt it. I don't know what will happen...
How about putting a mentos into your mouth, then take a big gulp of coke? Hehe..... <_<

I tried it once, but it didn't work because the coke was already used for the mentos in the bottle. However you shouldn't swallow it.

I heard that if you placed mentos into a bottle of diet coke it would create a fountain effect. When I tried this I got covered in coke because of the speed of the reaction. Luckily no sugar means it does attract as many bugs. After this I wondered for a while what exactly is the chemical reaction that takes place between a mentos mint and diet coke. If anyone knows please post. It would be interesting if this only worked with diet coke.
One more thing, I have also heard that a group of people created a video with several hundred of these "fountains" going off in a specific order to create a very unique affect. If anyone knows were this can be found please post that as well.

it's the carbonation. the mentos have little open pockets all over the outer shell of them, and when they come in contact with the carbonated water and caffine in the soda then a reaction happens with the mentos. and lots of little bubbles starts being released from the pockets in the shell of the mentos, and the mentos go pretty much crazy, they release so many bubbles they don't have time to settle down and they burst out of the coke bottle.

I have tryed this experements with my friends for the forth of july and it takes 3-4 mentos to have this reaction happen. and it takes a 2 liter of coke. ( this only happenes with coke not any other carbonated soda ).

so try it and see what happens. it's fun actualy. just remember to bring an unbrella if your going to be the person to drop in the mentos.

Yeah, this is very interesting. I've seen many people do this (youtube) but instead of placing the Mentos one by one, they tie it into something similar to a necklace of Mentos. After that, they drop it all at once and the fizz squirts out. I want to try it out as well.I think it requires regular Mentos and Diet Coke. I'm not sure.

Yeah, this is very interesting. I've seen many people do this (youtube) but instead of placing the Mentos one by one, they tie it into something similar to a necklace of Mentos. After that, they drop it all at once and the fizz squirts out. I want to try it out as well.
I think it requires regular Mentos and Diet Coke. I'm not sure.

I don't really remember if we did it with diet cola or regular cola. mabey it was diet?? idk.