Old Skool Games

UFO Enemy Unknown or known as X-COM in USA (1994)<br />Dune II
<br />Cannon Fodder
<br />Civilization
<br />Sim City 2000
<br />Monkey island
<br/>Beneath a steel sky

<br /><br /><br />

The games listed above are the ones you mentioned that I love as well from my past. I still play Enemy Unknown today, but I wouldn't mind playing the free linux version of the game called UFO: Alien Invasion, it looks like an amazing upgrade from the original with the exact same style of game play but improved graphics.<br/><br/>

Can't believe I forgot about Dune II (Dune I was awesome too but totally different style of game). If you're going to talk about Lucas Arts games though you have to mention Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max. I had beneath a steel sky but could never get past a certain point in the game before it kept crashing on me lol There's a cool little app out there for playing the old lucas arts games on a modern pc, it emulates everything they need and keeps them running at the proper speed, can't remember the name of it now though.<br/><br/>

Also, I still play a lot of the older games and avoid the newer ones. New games today for PC are all the same, they try and take tried and tested methods and add a load of rubbish which overcomplicates (or undercomplicates) them making them just annoying. For me graphics don't play a big part, but graphics aren't what makes a game good as it is.

I still remember when I got my first gaming system. It was a super nintendo that had donkey kong country on it. Later my neighbor got a computer and it had snake on it and we thought that was the coolest game ever. He also had a regular nintendo, a sega genesis, and of course finally eventually a playstation. It's hard to believe you can play snake on your cell phone now where as back then it was cool to have it on your computer. I am only 21 and I can't believe how much technology has changed since the late 90s and I can only imagine how much it will change in the future. Anyway I loved the game Gradius 3 on super nintendo. I wish they would remake some old like playstation games and give them better graphics because some of the old playstation and other games were awesome. I feel like a lot of games nowadays are fairly easy to beat and the game makers only focus on having amazing graphics.

There's a cool little app out there for playing the old lucas arts games on a modern pc, it emulates everything they need and keeps them running at the proper speed, can't remember the name of it now though.

I think you're talking about SCUMMVM? I have it installed at home, I wanted to start playing the games it offers, as I have some originals on some burned CD's and DVD's years ago, but by playing Nightlong - Union City Conspiracy a little, I just didn't find time to continue, even though I think Nightlong didn't require SCUMMVM, it only required something like DOSBox... can't remember...

http://www.scummvm.org/

I think I also were stuck in some point at Beneath a Steel Sky, but I found a walk through at one point and as I remember were was one place I didn't spot I could pick up or use something, I really liked it, I had the talkie version and it didn't seem to crash for me ;)

I remember playing a fighting game on WINDOWS 3.1. I think it was called body-blows or something, it looked pretty cool and i think it had like 4 players to pick.A friend gave me a copy, on a floppy ofcourse lol

Are you talking about Body Blows Galactic? I used to play it either :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Blows_Galactic

But it's an Amiga game as I remember, did it really work on Windows 3.1? or DOS?

Amiga computer version

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Oh, you're right, I just found a DOS version, but it seems to be not as good as Amiga version, gfx and sound is a bit worse. Moreover, it seems that it's Body Blows and not Body Blows Galactic like I used to play in on an Amiga ;)

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

Speaking of windows 3.1 anyone remember skunny racing?

Are you talking about Skunny Karts? 1993 game? It's sort of cartoon characters racing ;)

Skunny Kart, Skunny Racing, it's all the same lol

Yeah it was kinda like mario kart only with slightly worse graphics and the characters were cartoon-like, skunny being a squirrel. Also cooler weapons and items than mario kart as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Loads of fun playing this game as a kid, I remember when my school got their first colour PC with windows 3.1 on it and put this game straight on it, before that we used old black and white macs with no network access of any kind.

I CANT BELIEVE NONE OF YOU HAVE MENTIONED GRANNYS GARDEN IV BEEN TRYING TO FIND THIS FOR AGES AND ONLY BUYING OR BORROWING HAVE COME UP.

I CANT BELIEVE NONE OF YOU HAVE MENTIONED GRANNYS GARDEN IV BEEN TRYING TO FIND THIS FOR AGES AND ONLY BUYING OR BORROWING HAVE COME UP.

You are right, granny's garden is not a free game.

More info here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granny%27s_Garden

An old-school game, but I see that there is still a lot of effort on it, because there is a wine version for modern geeks! :)