xisto Community
XIII

Where To Find Notepad++ For Linux ?

GNU Emacs (22?) is the way to go, or VIM if your that kind of person.

SolutionWhere To Find Notepad++ For Linux ?

I think if we were researching for differences in cigarette brands we would cometo the same type of devide in conclusions; everyone has their preference. Car forums, Video car forums, ...Detergent forums. 

I have used Notepad ++ for a very long time in both Windows and Linux (Ubuntu- using Wine).

Why I prefer Notepad ++: The primary reason is because I have simply gotten used to it. It's in all of my OS'es altho I do use Vi in the Ubuntu Server because ubuntu server has no GUI.

Sorry dude but you will simply have to use Notepad ++ under Wine and modify your Linux shell to make this your default editor (as much as that sucks). But Notepadd ++ is developed to work specifically for windows and therefor you cannot simply install it Linux until the actual developers write the entire program to use in Linux/Unix systems. 

There you have it. 

Everybody has their own cup of coffee. 

-reply by Aperson

Notepad++ is great and all, but Bluefish is certainly much better although I wish it could have been a little more faster at times. Whenever I need to do some quick coding (no matter how bad it is!) I always turn to Bluefish before thinking of any other editor. VIM is good but a little outdated - still useful though.

Hi!@XIII, Jeigh, et al.Notepad++ is a Windows-only editor. Porting it would take a lot of effort because all of the calls to Windows-only functions would have to be written to their GTK or Qt equivalents to run under Linux. The problem exists for many programming languages - a library specific to an operating system is provided and because it is used in writing a program, the program is unable to run on any other operating systems. Java, a platform independent language would run only on Windows if you used JNI calls for working with the system tray or bridging function calls to the Win32 API.If you run Linux and are looking for an editor, take a look at GEdit or KEdit. GEdit is pretty good as a graphical text editor. If you have used vi or emacs, you can find graphical versions that support all of the text-based commands that you are accustomed to.@mastercomputersThe Notepad++ editor provides syntax highlighting, can work with unicode text quite well (in fact, it's better in dealing with unicode than any other program I use for editing plain text), it has a plugin architecture (though you would have to watch out for unstable plugins) that provides FTP and other functionality, and supports Macros. The search feature can search for text within an entire directory (as opposed to within a single file) and has a search results window so you can easily navigate between search matches. If you haven't tried it yet, you should find yourself a Windows box and give it a shot. It pretty much matches the feature set of EditPlus and TextPad but is free (as in both, freeware and open-source).

Well there are many other editors to choose from. You can get Kwrite and kate if you use KDE. If you're using gnome then there is GEdit. You can also buy Ultraedit's linux version and use it on your linux desktop. If you seriously want to get your work done then i suggest getting ultraedit for yourself.

And of course, if you really need Notepad++ under linux and nothing else, it's supposed to work correctly with Wine, so simply try it and tell us if you are satisfied. :)

not wineWhere To Find Notepad++ For Linux ?

I too am having the same problem...Notepad++ has some great functions Kate or other editors doesn't have (ex: searching a phrase in allOpened documents, dragging a folder in it will open recursively allFiles in that folder, highlights opening and closing tags very nicely +Colours are more clear when writing code, at least IMHO). 

AndAltough I use Wine for some programs, for Notepad++ it doesn't work soWell, that is...It doesn't implement it's functions that makes it soGreat.

Even though Kate has some advanced functions, writing code in it for several hours just 'hurts my eyes', sure I could change it'sColours but I haven't yet found the time to do that...

Gedit isMore color-friendly, but it lackes some more advanced functions...

So, If you don't mind learning some keyboard shortcuts, ViM is the best way to go I guess...

-reply by Claudiu

You do know...Where To Find Notepad++ For Linux ?

You guys all know that notepad++ is develop fully with the Win32 API... I'm pretty sure they just don't feel like porting it to linux. There is really two options: WINE, or port it yourself. If you port it yourself, tell the creators to post it up on their site. I use gEdit, I find it just as good as notpad++, in fact it's my little "alternative" for my linux development environment.

Linux: GCC, gEditWindows: MinGW, Notepad++Mac OS: (For now) xCode

Best regards, 

Jake

String Expression search and replace - What does this in Linux?Where To Find Notepad++ For Linux ?

The "feature" that seems evasive to those looking at the screenshots that I find most useful and can't seem to find in gedit is the powerful search and replace options - maybe I'm just missing something?  Grab of copy of Notepad++ and play with the string and regular expression (just CTRL + H to get the dialog) replace tools and you'll see - then tell me what tool copies that functionality in Linux.  It's great for stripping formatting from text or reformatting.  I just haven't found the duplicate in Linux yet, I know it's there so if someone could post it here that would be great!

Cheers!

-reply by iWantToKnow

I'm also looking for notepad++ for linux.  The reasons are:

1) Whereas I use VI extensively, some things are just easier in a GUI application.  Examples of such are reviewing large log and configuration files, so much easier to go between tabs containing multiple logs/configuration files  when reviewing an issue that touches multiple components than any other solution I'm aware of

2) Gedit has this aweful bug of refusing to open files it can't figure out the character coding for

3) I'm familiar with notepad++ as it works wonderfully on other platforms, why shouldn't I look for it on Linux as well.

Alternatives are fine, but why must every question start with alternatives and not with a helpful answer to the question posed?

-reply by Eddie

Typical linux crowd:1) "make it yourself"

2) "__xxx__ command line tool works way better"

3)  "you don't need it, beacuse I don't need it and everyone works like me"

4) use WINE

lol...

If anyone ever DOES find a notepad++ port, or gets it to work PROPERLY with Wine, or finds an alternative editor with all of it's excellent feature set, please let me know. For what I do on a daily basis, notepad++ is easily the best editor out there. Hands down. And yes, I know how to use vim, I'm just 10,000 times more productice with notepad++, and no you can't tell me that using the command line will be faster, because you're not me so shut up already :P

-reply by tray

Try this:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This is to Debian based linux distribuctions, but I can change the Script. Put the Windows executable file from this below site and on the script change "wget..." to place where I put the execuble file (/root/Downloads/ , for example.).I can find the executable 4.3 (no try newst versions, yet) on:http://www.4shared.com/file/KXEP9Gun/npp43Installer.html

To me, is perfect! But I will see a program named Comodo Editor that like too much with our N++!Luck!

Really, stop this war trying to convince someone what is right to use or not. I am using linux for 15 years and unfortunately windows for my living. Notepad++ was derived as a concept from Ultraedit on windows and is by far the most advanced editor on Windows, opensource too. Vim is super and Notepad++ is great, depends on what you wanna do and how. Using Notepad++/Ultraedit for 10 years I saved hypertons of hours from text editing to ultra-complex batch jobs for various development and simple tasks. When a user asks for something do not try to convince him with no arguments, especially when you haven't evaluate the program itself for a fair amount of time. And now to the question, you can use Wine to run it flawlessly, use Geany or Kate but you will always lack the functionalities you are used to. Go with Wine, that's what I did when I want to use it on Linux systems.

Go with Wine, that's what I did when I want to use it on Linux systems.

At least this is a useful info. You say that it works with wine, so let's try wine and we well come back if we fail.However, I'm not sure that people familiar with emacs under Linux will make the effort installing wine in order to use the Windows version of Notepad++