xisto Community
XIII

Where To Find Notepad++ For Linux ?

When I installed Ubuntu, I spent quite a bit of time looking for Notepad++ for Linux also. I had removed the SCREEM HTML/XML Editor that came with Ubuntu and installed Bluefish Editor, but it felt a bit weird so I continued hunting for Notepad++.Silly of course because I opened up my XML and PHP files in "Text Editor" (gedit) and there was syntax highlighting and stuff. I then learned that gedit is actually quite powerful and is very suitable for what I am doing.All I can say is that Notepad++ is "gedit for Windows". :rolleyes:

You know what ?I just started using Notepad++.I needed to have a look at files created on a Unix system, and look them on my PC.I used portable Notepad++, and I found it really great.I am not currently writing C programs, but I have seen that Notepad++ is also very useful, it helped me a lot when embedding /*'s with */'s.

How to install NP++ on linux.

Notepad++ is built on Scite, so you might want to install it and give that a try first.

If not, Wine is your solution, even though you don't like it or don't want to use it.

Google has even done this for you with a nice little Python installer. Uses apt-get, so it'll work on Debian and Ubuntu and maybe others. Just read the python script. You can do it on other distros. By hand.

https://code.google.com/archive/p/npp-installer

-Weldon

bluefish

Bluefish is really good , you must try it!

He colors code and he replaces very good notepad ++!

P.S:I'm sorry I'm don't english.

-TNT55

Notepad++ for Linux

SciTE is the Linux version. Notepad++ is actually based upon SciTE.

-Weldon

notepad++ not for linux

I had looked for the notepad++ for linux. At last ,I found notepad++ is only for windows ,as it base on the api of windows.

-reply by Mng Chu

and a replacement for edit.exe?

May sound crazy but I miss edit.Exe from win. Like the ability to start writing wherever you liked creating tabbed paragraphs and unlimited length of line, no distractions and custom colors. What would be a good replacement of edit.Exe?

Actually thats why I use npp on win .. You can create your own color scheme and tabbed paragraphs .. I write a lot and I tag and tab my writing as xml-like code

Any suggestions?

-question by indi0

Bluefish is great for HTMl and CSS, but is a bad option for PHP. I will go with Geany, but the truth is that Notepad++ is a great code editor, fast light and have some nice tools. So it would be nice if someone port it to Linux.

"People have to get used to vim"

WHY???  Because you like it?  Because "real programmers" use it?  Because  (insert dumb excuse here)...

I've used editors including vi, edlin and even CP/M ed.  You know what?  They are dinosaurs.  If you like them fine.  Give me a GUI any day.

That is the biggest problem with Linux.  The people that really love it think that everyone should spend hours/weeks/years learning text based syntax because that is what they like to do.  Reminds me of the story of the mother who would not buy more than one pair of shoes for her kids because she only had one.

vi is great.  It is really powerful and does anything you can think of.  It also has a large learning curve.  Notepad++ is also great.  Not quite as powerful but it will do almost as much as vi.  It takes less than 1/2 a second to learn and not much more to master.

Enough soapboxing...

Notepad++ "uses pure Win32 API ".  It is based on  the open source Scintilla.  SciTE is a cross platform app also based on Scintilla.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

SciTE, Notepad++, and EclipseWhere To Find Notepad++ For Linux ?

It seems as though Notepad++ uses much of the same functionality as SciTE, which is cross-platform. It shouldn't seem like that much of a burden to rewrite WinAPI calls for something a little more cross-platform, say GTK for example.

Then again, I haven't taken a look at the code... Yet.

If you're just looking for a code editor, I recommend Eclipse - it's customizable with plugins, and is free (in both senses of the word), open-source, and cross-platform.

-reply by Michael

Notepad++Where To Find Notepad++ For Linux ?Key features of Notepad++ for me are side-by-side open panes with lockable scrolling, the compare function which aligns matches and highlights changes, while displaying the files side-by-side. And the find function that allows you to find a piece of text in all files from a directory in two clicks.These things make working with Cisco configs and the like so easy. I'd love to find a linux app that replicates these things but I'm not doing well so far.Pete-reply by pete