xisto Community
XIII

Where To Find Notepad++ For Linux ?

People have to get familiar with vi, the default text editor with any Unix or Linux computer in the world.

to be honest vi is a pain to learn, it is one of those keep-away-from-it text editor... although very powerful once one master it, it takes quite sometime to learn...

When you start learning Unix for professional purposes or at the University, you learn "vi".vi is probably the worst text file editor you could imagine, but it's the one all Unix manufacturers accepted to be included for free in each Unix distro, so each of us has to learn how to use it.By the way, exactly as Crosoft Word, vi has very few things you really need to know.You only need how to delete a character, add a character, insert a character, and save your text. It can do far more than that, but most of people can survive with only that.

If you have been sreaching for 2 days and can't find it, I would assume it doesn't exist in a linux compatible version. Even though you said not to, I'd suggest just using wine :) Obviouly you'd really like to use this software if you've looked for 2 days, so instead of searching for another day just spend a few minutes figuring out wine and voila. The software looks fairly striaghtforward on their site so I assume it would be emulated without any problems.

There is no Linux npp. Unfortunately, you will have to 'make' it by hand. Download the source code,
and go in to a terminal after you unpack the source. In your home folder, make a file named
src
and put the unpacked files there. Go to the terminal, and type
cd src
now, there should be another file named src. go in. type in
make
But wait, this doesn't work. go back to your file manager, adn go there. look for a file named makefile.
a-ha! type in
make (makefile name here, including extension)
and press enter.
w00t!
It worked for me, and I hope it works for you.

-i use fedora Linux 17.

That's the magic of the open world, the c compiler is available for free, already installed in most of linux machines, some designers simply give the sources of their files, with a "makefile" ready for a gcc or a cc compiler. "make" is the standard way in our world for leading a whole task, including compiling, adding libraries, moving to chosen places and finishing the installation. As you guess, my makefile only has "cc brol.c", but most of real makefile have several pages of code, each bug leading to an addidion to the next release!

That's the magic of the open world, the c compiler is available for free, already installed in most of linux machines, some designers simply give the sources of their files, with a "makefile" ready for a gcc or a cc compiler. "make" is the standard way in our world for leading a whole task, including compiling, adding libraries, moving to chosen places and finishing the installation. As you guess, my makefile only has "cc brol.c", but most of real makefile have several pages of code, each bug leading to an addidion to the next release!

so that's what the make command does... it makes sense now to me...

so that's what the make command does... it makes sense now to me...

"make" executes the instructions in the "Makefile" or "makefile".
You can look what is in that file, you will see a lot of things. Compiling, linking, moving to the correct place. And also a lot of restart points : so you can issue "make clean", "make install" for instance. This is very useful if the source is a project involving a lot of files, if you touch a single file, "make" has the instructions for recompile only the changed sources, and link will the old object files and libraries in order to obtain the new executable program.

so what is makefile in Windows?

In windows exactly as in each operating system. make is part of your programming environment, it's part of your way of thinking. Each time you write down a c program file, you write down the corresponding instruction line to be added in the makefile.
Simply, the programming environment is not delivered for free when you purchase Microsoft Windows. You have to buy the Microsoft C Compiler, or install a free alternative. And the way to choose this programming environment is it's compatibility with the Unix "make" syntax! :rolleyes:

so make is just the compiling call

If you have a single file source code, make is the compiling call.
If your thing has several source files, and you change the code in a single file, make has the instruction for creating the executable file while fully compiling the modified source code, and linking with the other objects which have not been modified. The makefile describes the dependencies, the way each source file depends from the other ones. The makefile has the compiling instruction (the "cc" line) but it also has relinking instructions (the "ln" lines) and also standard operating systems comands ("mv" the final files to the final place, "rm" intermediate files for instance).