xisto Community
iGuest

Anyone Use Avg Antivirus?

I use AVG because I am low budget. I am all about the free stuff online. Oh yeah if your machine is low on resources or if you're very picky, you can erase the startup entries and check which AVG services are started. Because they are only useful if your PC or laptop is actively online. I just up turn them on when I am updating the software and surfing the Internet, and/or playing games offline. Other than that, they are just hog resources. :rolleyes:

i hate AVG so i dont use it.i buy pc cillin internet security every year, its really good, way better than AVG will ever be.i dont like with AVG it just keeps everything it finds in a "vault". its just a hidden folder, so its still there.best thing to do is buy an antivirus, pc cillin is the best in my opinion. norton is meant to be like the best isn't it? i dont like norton much either, its really annoying.

you can erase the startup entries and check which AVG services are started. Because they are only useful if your PC or laptop is actively online.

How do you do that ? Simply opening the "startup" folder ? Or do you have to remove it from the Windows Registry ?

I have used many different systems, and each one was different from the rest. But it depended upon the timing of when I got my antivirus. While I was back in college, unless the instructor had given out versions of what was popular at the time, I would installl AVG on my school system. At home I followed a nice lengthy subscription of Norton... but I was not about to add it on to my school PCs.So I guess you can say I have used AVG, I just never dove in and wanted to try the features, I just wanted a quick fix for a quick OS install.

Hi,
I think AVG Antivirus Free Edition is the best antivirus but has a poor performans with spyware and malware.

Regards

I use this antivirus for a long time with always good results, but i hear this kind of opinion not few times, can you post some other software that are better with spyware and malware than AVG????

Best regards,

I am using Grisoft AVG 7.5, AVG Anti-Rootkit and Spybot Search & Destroy. The AVG program has a "Scheduled Task" button on the left side of the main page. There, you can schedule when it scans the computer, and when it checks for updates. I have it set to check about 9 AM, so I can see it doing it, and know it actually has an update. The update shows the total number of bytes being transferred, and after it downloads them, it shows which files are being updated. Usually, it just updates a "current version" file and one or two data files. About once every 2 months, it also downloads new DLLs.The "improvements" and more comprehensive services it offers are for a fee. It seems to be a good anti-virus package, but I have never had a problem, so I'm still just using the free version. (I have an ancient router which provides hardware enforcement of an equally ancient Zone Alarm. Apparently, that has been enough to keep my computers clean.) ^_^

Hi,I have been using avg for some time now. The update problem that you are talking about was something that was there about 2 years back. Now it does a daily update automatically!Of all the free antivirus, I would say that avg comes 2nd. Antivir Personal Edition Classic would be the best. I used to have it installed but something happened and suddenly its real time scanning stopped. I didn't want to do a reinstall of xp to fix that, so I now with avg.And hey, these free antivirus are in no way any less than the paid ones. So don't waste your money on them!!!!!!! Kaspersky, NOD, etc, all have great name, big budged advertising etc, but then are no greater than the free ones............Cheers.......