xisto Community
iGuest

Anyone Use Avg Antivirus?

I'm currently using norton internet security on this pc, it came free with my hardware so i thought why not. -

Have a look at the "about" of your Internet Security. Sometimes it comes "first year free" with the hardware, then you must purchase the next year support.

There is no chance involved if you ask me. Grisoft bought out the company that makes the anti-spyware program. You might have heard of Ewido Anti-Spyware. I always recommend my users to run that spyware scan since it does a fantastic job. Since AVG acquired it, I have taken a test run using it and it looks just as good as before. So they have my recommendation ;) The program is free for personal use, so download and install it. I'm sure you'll find it easy to use and hopefully keep it.

Following your recommendation i download and install the software, and you are right, it does a good job, it's very easy to install, configure and use, the trial version with all the functionallity that offers will work only for 30 days then unfortunately will turn into a basic version ;) that seems to be enough, so i will keep it to see what happen after that.
One thing i dislike is that it slow down my computer a bit.

Best regards,

I'm using AVG free edition for the past 5 Years.I've also tried Norton, Avast but I was not statisfied with them. I like AVG especially because even though it is free it has regular daily updates and also consume lesser system resources than othe Anti-Virus softwares. It provides a neat interface and all the basic options we ever need in an Anti Virus.

Yes, I use AVG. It's a bit annoying because every time I open my laptop, out pops the updater. ;___; I don't know whether it's good or not because well, I am not an IT professional. :ph34r:

I used to, But AVG is free but also no protection against Viruses, Mean while I use Kaspersky free version some times to have a check in my system for viruses, ( I dont get attacked by viruses) use kaspersky cauz you can also find some totaly free retailing versions in the net...( ileagal)

i use to use avg antivirus since it was free, but i stopped cause it was lacking in updates, and virus udpates were coming out like 2-3 days late, it wasnt that much of a resource hog, but i just wish they updated the viruses definition quicker.
so do you use it?

My own thoughts on this topic; I've been using AVG for years along with Zone Alarm, and I have to say that I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone. Sure AVG can't catch everything, by then no virus checker can. I would argue that what is more important is exercising caution when downloading, being careful, taking sensible precautions. Under these circumstances then a small, light Virus Checker like AVG is a joy. I don't recommend Symantec at all. They used to be okay back in the 90s, now they are dreadful. I had the pleasure of talking to one of their executives, and he doesn't have a clue about viruses other than the sales pitch for corporations that's been drummed into him. My discussion about the latest anti-virus research baffled him. Symantec are only interested in corporates and banks. Any Virus checkers they have available aimed at personal users and small businesses were created as an afterthought. It's an obnoxiously large piece of crap that spawns no less than 10 different processes, uses an incredibly ridiculous amount of system resources, like AOL it won't uninstall cleanly, and causes too many crashes.AVG I have never had any problems with and will continue to use it.

My own thoughts on this topic; I've been using AVG for years along with Zone Alarm, and I have to say that I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone. Sure AVG can't catch everything, by then no virus checker can. I would argue that what is more important is exercising caution when downloading, being careful, taking sensible precautions. Under these circumstances then a small, light Virus Checker like AVG is a joy.
I don't recommend Symantec at all. They used to be okay back in the 90s, now they are dreadful. I had the pleasure of talking to one of their executives, and he doesn't have a clue about viruses other than the sales pitch for corporations that's been drummed into him. My discussion about the latest anti-virus research baffled him. Symantec are only interested in corporates and banks. Any Virus checkers they have available aimed at personal users and small businesses were created as an afterthought. It's an obnoxiously large piece of crap that spawns no less than 10 different processes, uses an incredibly ridiculous amount of system resources, like AOL it won't uninstall cleanly, and causes too many crashes.

AVG I have never had any problems with and will continue to use it.

I agree with you and of course i will continue to use it, the Symantec Antivirus is a crap and it is very dificult to completely uninstall it, especially it's Live Update software, is a shame what was happened with this company, i remember all the very good software that it had before Symantec buys the Norton company.

Best regards,

When a rich friend of mine asks me the question, I tell him to buy McAfee Viruscan.Unfortunately, I have very few rich friends.When a poor friend of mine asks me wich antivirus to use, I tell him to use AVG free. It's easy to install, and has a reasonably frequent automatic update upload.You will find a lot of topics here about which is the best antivirus, people who pay their software have to carefully discuss about the differences.People who have no money should not leave without antivirus. So, as for a free solution, I think AVG is a very interesting one, the one I recommend.Yordan

I wonder what would happen if someone had AOL, Symantec, and Real Player (all three of the notoriously heavyweight (supposedly) background applications - all running at the same time? Would such a system even work... would you be able to do anything besides open a Word document? Has anyone used such a combination? Just a strange thought I had when I was thinking about Symantec. You know what they say, curiosity killed the cat. This is of course a Hypothetical question, or one aimed at past experience, since I hear that AOL and Real are trying to change their wicked ways these days.P.S. Tavox@Peru, Thanks. I agree - Norton was good back then, that was back in the (good old?) days when computers came bundled with Norton and IBM Via Voice, and all the billions of superfluous applications that were there to encourage you to pay $2000 for a PC... these days most people (the ones I know I mean) just walk into the computer shop and buy the box for like 200-400 bucks... they already have tons of spare monitors and peripherals anyway, and all the software they're likely to use, so they don't need a package. But norton was good back in the days when everyone had first started buying their PC, and PCs came in packages. Not that they don't still come in packages, I just mean that back then most people had to buy the package. God I'm waffling. You know what I mean....

Edited by PhilosophiX (see edit history)

I've used AVG since I got my laptop, simply because I'd heard good reviews about it from various sites. My sister recently got a new machine (from start to finish) simply because her old one was something like sixth hand. I kid you not when I say it took 5 minutes to open a Word document. Her new one came with Norton, and although it looks pretty good whenever I use her machine (far more powerful than my poor laptop) I can't stand the way it keeps popping up with alerts while I'm in fullscreen. Sure, that's as a firewall, though, so I guess it's a bit off topic.Anyway, as for anti-virus, I've never had a problem with AVG. I'm careful with firewalls as well, though (Sygate all the way) as well as doing a weekly spy/adware scan with both Spybot and AdAware, meaning my old laptop is still clean. I've never noticed any problems, anyway... :blink:

Yes it would work, you'd just need a dual core system.

Yah.. or maybe a dual core 2 system. One thing I've give up on norton is their resource intensity on system. For AVG, used it for a few months and felt that it doesn't take up as much resources as for those commercials norton anti-virus. Pretty good on detecting Trojans and virus. Just that after using it, got recommended on some other anti-virus that do much more. But on an overall, its a good anti-virus consider its free to use. :blink: Worth a try if anyone asked.

Cheers