xisto Community
jedipi

How To Control Home Computer Remotely?

I usually work in the company at night.and I want to control my home FTP server and other programsthat run on my home computer. And I want to transfer filesbetween these two computers.I have tried "remote desktop" which comes with windows xp.Are there any other software that can do this job??

There are some more professional programs that you can find on the internet, or buy them, since they are not free. I haven't tried it myself, but after some googling I'm sure you'll find. But, be aware that for that kind of program you ought to BUY it, because freeware programs are either insecure or not good enough.

use openSSH.openSSH is like a telnet login, except that it is encrypted.you can log-in to your computer from anywhere, and d whatever you like.when i am at university, i often ssh into my home computer to check on its progress in whatever it is doing, or issue new commands, give it new things to download.SSH isnt just a way to log-into your sever.. it is THE way.

I suggest using logmein.com after registering with there site you can access your computer from anywhere as long as its on... I use it all the time and is very useful. Another thing is something like access-my-remote-pc.com which is also very useful. I also a long time ago used gotomypc.com as well very useful.I'll list in order which site was the slowest for me to access (results vary for others) and I suggest you try them yourself firstFastest to Slowest1. access-my-remote-pc.com 2. gotomypc.com3. logmein.comHave Fun!

use openSSH.

1064336534[/snapback]

How do you set up an SSH server on windows and create accounts for it? I want to control my computer remotely too, but that computer happens to be a mac (though I'm guessing SSH is the same for any Operating System). If I already have an SSH client program, would I need a seperate SSH server program on the computer too?

at home I use Apple Remote Desktop on several Mac Mini's that I use as a rendering cluster for my 3D programs since I don't have them plugged into monitors. But that's also Apple...I recomend SSH. You won't be able to do anything graphical, everything is command prompt, but it is the best option since until Telnet, SSH uses encrpytion.I have SSH enabled on the XServesr to log in from home or the road and get files or restart something if a service fails and I don't feel like going to the office. Infact I can log in from my blackberry...that is until they shut off service in a few days thanks to the SCOTUS ruling...

Still wondering if SSH is effective on windows, you're quite limited with the command prompt in windows xp. In linux you have waay more stuff you can do with it, but on windows it's almost useless.I use UltraVNC with some 128bit encryption plugin on it. Since the original vnc sends everything unencrypted. (http://www.uvnc.com/index.php)

Thank you guys...SSH is good but with command prompt...(no, thank you)I go for UltraVNC. During the installation, I can choose to install UltraVNC Server or/and UltraVNC Viewer. so, I install UltraVNC Server in my home computerand install UltraVNC Viewer in my company's computer.It is very easy to use...thank you jipman..

Honestly when I was in the lab a lot, I found a nifty little programcalled "Beyond Remote" ( you can get form download.com ) tha allowed me to acces my dorm computer. It's free to use for personal use, but you'll have to license it if you use it for business use I think. Not too sure, but I'd give it a look if I were you. It's simple to operate and worked fine for me.

I use UltraVNC with some 128bit encryption plugin on it.

I was satisfied with vnc (which also has encryption). I tried ultravnc, and my computer started being rather unstable, so I went back to standard vnc.

I usually use Remote Administrator, because :1. Better graphic performance2. I can choose to only-watch or to full-control3. I can do telnet4. File transfer can be done without setting up a shared folder or something

For Linux computers I would recommend a VNC server such as TightVNC or RealVNC, whichever is included in your distribution or whichever you decide to apt-get.

For Windows computers I highly recommend LogMeIn. LogMeIn Free is sufficient for my uses but if you need anything advanced you can buy LogMeIn Pro or any other versions.