xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Contest: Design IPB Skins, Prove Your Worth All graphics designers out there

Hey sorry about the delayed response - last few days has been quite hectic for me.. packing up, preparing to travel and putting finishing touches to my work back in thailand all at the same time... I must say that stuff is HOT man :) except only a minor change I'd suggest is the font. While this looks cool by it's own right, in some places the clarity is a little lost. Would you mind putting in another set (even half a set would do) - with some other font ?? I don't mind the squarish look of the font - but just a triffle bit more clear in some places... But then again, it might be my personal view.. So, if you come up with a revised look with a different font, it'll give us a chance to compare both and see which stands out more..

BTW - ONLY TWO entries SO FAR ?? lol.. no one seems to be much interested in the credits eh ??

What if I increase it to umm.. say, 75 ?? That's 2.5 months worth of extremely leisurely posting for you ;) - no hard fight to keep your account alive.. still not motivated enough ???

Ow tough luck M^E, i guess everyone's just waiting until you push those reward credits up to a hundred heheh. Well i might consider doing this though i absolutely have no experience in making skins i do have some experience in editing the buttons and stuff of ipb boards, so i might try it out just for the fun of it and watch as the criticisms pour over me =P. Right now I'm thoroughly working on my finals next week so maybe after that I might try to find some time to try this out. So far though, I'm really seeing some tough competition coming from Reaver and finaldesign. BTW: I came here to check the thread out with the same reason as Reaver's. Woah! That's alot of pages!

except only a minor change I'd suggest is the font. While this looks cool by it's own right, in some places the clarity is a little lost. Would you mind putting in another set (even half a set would do) - with some other font ?? I don't mind the squarish look of the font - but just a triffle bit more clear in some places... But then again, it might be my personal view.. So, if you come up with a revised look with a different font, it'll give us a chance to compare both and see which stands out more..

1064332107[/snapback]

I'll try to change the font as soon as possible. Maybe some classic fonts will be ok, like helvetica, arial, futura or such... :huh:

What if I increase it to umm.. say, 75 ?? That's 2.5 months worth of extremely leisurely posting for you tongue.gif - no hard fight to keep your account alive.. still not motivated enough ???

Well, this is a really nice contest! Not only your statement has encouraged me to participate in it...but has also given me the opportunity to become a good designer.
I know, I can play around with graphics...after learning how to make sigs...but I know making the skins for IPB will be a tough job. Now, the whole point is that it will take some time for me to make one...So, I hope that this contest will be running for some long time..as I am new over here and just saw this contest.

Hey m^e! are you going to start any contests like these at Xisto? :huh:

What are ya waiting for .. get outta here and get working.. shooo shooo :) I can't start a contest like this on trap coz I don't have admin access - this would require serious re-skinning of the board. But BuffaloHelp can take up on this idea and start one of his own :huh: Why don't you direct him to this post thread ?

all righty! I'll be doing that for sure!Anyways, after that post of mine I downloaded the GDK and after that I was shocked to see so many layers..I am thinking that how much time finaldesign must have invested in making that beautifull skin for the board!I am sure that I'll need hell lot of time...to do it..I know I am not great in graphics..so lets hope that I'll be able to complete that without giving up on the idea of making it!

m^e, I honestly take offense in you saying there's no graphic derth on AntiLost. :huh: And what if someone gets it who doesn't need the credits?

hmm, sounds like a real competition here... Anyway I made my skin in just 2 days :huh: if I had more time probably I will done it better... Well, now Im gonna change this font in mine skin, so it will be nicer... :)

If you wait a few days more you can have my entry, it isn't nearly as good as Finals one and the other one (can't remember his name) but it's just for fun, remember it's my first realy job with Photoshop. Anywayz, I'm not gonna tell you much about it, but I think it's a bit too girlies, correct me if I'm wrong (after I posted the example of course :huh: )-=jeroen=-

Hmm so guys whats happening with this skin idea. i know i have been away on holiday and work and so on and have definitely been out of touch with graphics as a whole but to come back and still find this competition neither here nor here is disapointing but then again maybe everyone is as busy as me, Finals skins definitely looks cool especially for the time and effort he has put in and i think some direction on where this is going will be useful and maybe comments on what can be improved, because i would glady use this as an opportunity to get back into graphics again. Still waiting for that sample warbird. And for the test board, maybe this has been called off and no one has posted here to tell us so, can we please have an update.

Well, we've (the mods and admins) recently started discussing this contest. But it seems like these two submissions aren't exactly what we're looking for... We'll get more opinions from more mods/admins and we'll reply soon.

came back to this thread today and was wondering how much longer we have to come up with designs ? i havent touched the gdk yet (has been sittin on my desktop waitin for me) cause ive been busy with exams and work but i still want to participate. i noticed you guys got two skins so far (nice work reaver and fd !) so how long do i have ?

I took a little time and test this skin on my own local server. Here is a screenshoot of my skin in use:Xisto-SkinPreview_by_Final-Design.png

And this is some basic color guide for making CSS styles in IBP forum... Anyway if my skin is selected I'll make whole skinning ready just for importing to IPB control panel... B)
Basic Color Guideliness.png

Anybody knows where I can get a free trial version of IPB for testing on my localhost???

-=jeroen=-

Well szupie i did say "i think some direction on where this is going will be useful and maybe comments on what can be improved" so letting us know that the 2 submisions are not what you are looking for is a good step and im glad it has finally come about, so the next step after you get the opinions from the mods is to detail what you are looking for i suppose saves alot of time in the long run especially for final who went through with a colour board and a flow chart...so yea colour schemes and genres would be great for steering the skinner in the right direction.