xisto Community
iGuest

How Long Is Your PC Boot Time ?

This is my speculation. If it is wrong please please correct it for me.

No need to make speculations. Fortunately, in this field there are measurements available.You can test the speed of your disk, there are tools on the network to test hard disk speed.
However, of course, you pointed the fact that free disk space has to be present during disk boot.
You can see other topics on this forum on this subject: your hard disk has to be partitionned, and the c:\ partition has to have a lot of free contiguousspace. If your c: disk is used for system purposes only, the free disk space does not need to be often monitored.
If you have a lot of data which move constantly, the disk space is fragmented, and you will need to frequently defragment your c: disk, this will improve your boot time and, generally speaking, your disk access time.

I think the boot up speed depends on the hard disks RPM - Round Per Minute. My hard disk Hitachi Deskstar 80GB, has 2500 rounds per minute and it's not bad at all. It's booting up my PC for less than a 2 minutes, maybe 1 minute dunno i didn't measure it with my new specifications:

J&W IP43-S LGA775 Motherboard with 2 PCI-Express slots (probably supporting ATi Crossfire), 4 slots for RAMs, and etc.

BOX Intel LGA775 E5300 2.6 GHz Dual Core - That BOX word means that I've bought it new, in box, unopened. :)

4GB 667 MHz DDR2 A-Data Memory Expert along with my cooling aluminum pieces attached to the RAMs for better cooling and faster working - Pretty good DDR2 RAMs, I don't have any bad words about them, only good. Posted Image

Edited by Бојан (see edit history)

RPM is one of the disk characteristics, and, yes, faster disks often have more RPM's. However, it's not the only point, some disks with less RPM's are faster. The keypoint is the access time, random access time and sequential access time.Random access time for loading individual programs. Sequential access time for accessing single big files, like the swap file.I finally measured my PC boot time. After about 55 seconds I have the splash welcome screen, and I can start using my PC. However, if I wait until the antivirus program allowed my network to be functional, it needs 30 more seconds.

When booting on my Windows 7 on the SATA drive with 1000RPM, the total boot time is 70seconds and this includes releasing the ethernet connection lock made by Kaspersky. Booting time for windows XP on IDE drive takes me 1-2mins to fully boot up loading everything up until the internet lock made by Kaspersky is released. Installing windows XP on the SATA drive which i made a few months ago results on a steady 2-3mins boot up time from windows XP on SATA. I am betting that it is the memory management and the loading time of the virtual optical disk drive that is causing windows XP to boot up longer. Both system was using Daemon Lite virtual device.Above all this stats, I can boot Ubuntu in less than 1 min including the Antivirus software (but it was not kaspersky though) and this don't change regardless if I install the OS on IDE or SATA. Booting up on Linux/Unix is not included since I seldom boot on GUI version making it boot faster and as fast as 20-25 seconds.

Ubuntu heavily publicised that its latest release would significantly decrease the boot time. Now Microsoft is also following this move and it is said that the next Windows OS, codenamed Windows 8, will focus on decreasing the boot time of the OS. It will also include support for USB 3.0 and other technologies so this makes it an intense OS, but decreasing the boot time too seems like a challenge and I'm eager to see how microsoft performs this task without any glaring errors. I seriously doubt it though. 7 was better than XP in booting up but MS getting lucky twice is highly doubtful!

I got 64 seconds on my Presario CQ40 with Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00GHz and 2Gb RAM running on LinuxMint Isadora.One more, I got 26 seconds on my Guest XP OS with 512Mb RAM, 35Gb HD being Isadora as my Host OS...I'm pretty satisfied... :)

Mine takes around 30 secs from the time I press the power button, to the time I'm on my desktop.running windows7 ultimate 64-bit - 8GB RAM - 1TB HDD - 2.9Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Is it a full power-on? Or just a wake-up after a sleep?

Yup full power-on, the 8GB of RAM speeds it up, plus my computer isn't bogged-down by a bunch of crap.

Probably you don't have anything else than Microsoft Windows. On lot of home user's PC's svchost.exe works a lot of time before all the features are available.

yeah, I know what you mean about the delay when you get to your desktop until all the start-up services are running, I think it's only a few seconds though.

Really only a few seconds? On my own laptop it's some tens of seconds! :P

Mine takes around 30 secs from the time I press the power button, to the time I'm on my desktop.running windows7 ultimate 64-bit - 8GB RAM - 1TB HDD - 2.9Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Thats way fast, the only thing I was able to duplicate that is when I remove kaspersky from the system having nothing in there to scan the system heap for viral stuffs. If from a cold hard boot, power down status, the fastest I can see is 3seconds BIOS loading screen, 10-20secs Windows OS loading (user/pass is hard triggered and was not needed on booting locally).

After that, I need to wait for Kaspersky to release the lock and sometimes wait for windows update to scan the update list (this is one of the things I hate with windows, it still scans the online update server for new updates when I have set my OS on manual update).