xisto Community
TotalLamer

Which Distro Of Linux Is Best For A Windows User ?

After years of using Windows, I have decided to "throw off the chains of corporate oppression" and switch to Linux. My main question is this: which free (key word) distro would be best suited for a person used to working in Windows, and enjoys gaming?

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Well if you want a full fledged distro i would recomend Ubuntu DSL is good ..but its primary aim is to be small and not provide with the best possible free softwares ..not to mention skipping alot of stuff

I agree with hatim. Ubuntu was regarded as the Best Linux Distribution of 2005 by PCWorld.
But be prepared for the troubles coming during the first days of your Linux life. It's different from Windows and not that easy to use. And if you plan to play your Windows games under Linux, you will need a Windows emulator and quite some Linux skills.
By the way, most Linux distros are free for downloading.

Hey try ubuntu. I think you can still order a free CD. I just recived my 5 copies for me and my friends. I didn't manage to try it jet, but I will soon. I have tried that boot CD with preinstalled ubuntu on, and it works very well, and with sound on also..
I think you will find it under https://www.ubuntu.com/

Ubuntu, eh? Sounds interesting... I haven't heard much of it. In the way of windows emulators... are their any that are free? Given that I'm still only in high school and therefore have little to no budget for this sort of thing, I ask.

From me, I don't like Ubuntu, pretty primitive with it's configuration utilities suck; with SuSE, configuration is easy and you can actually dig in and fix things without the GUI. Ubuntu's utilities resets it back to whatever it sets up. This happened to my LCD monitor, it annoyed me so much that I ditched it.SuSE for me is the better way to go. There's no such thing as the best distro. It's a subjective matter.xboxrulz

The distros I have ever tried are:Mandrake 9.1, Mandrake 9.2, Mandrake 10.0, Mandrake 10.1, Slackware 10.1, Ubuntoo, Gentoo, Debian Woody 3.0I'm a bit experienced. As for the TOTAL beginner I advise Mandrake 10.1 because it's extremely easy to install, and most things you can do in graphical IDLE. Although compiling different things from the source might be ( and is) troublesome in that distro.After 2-3 months I advise you to change to Slackware. It's very useful, fast and there are no problems with compiling, buggy hardware, etc.After another 6 months I advise you to reinstall Slackware and install Gentoo. That's what i've got to say :D

Slackware is the greatest. Been using it for almost a year now and I've got to say, it's great. I would go with Waco's idea as it coincides exactly with mine.

Mandrake for the noob,
Slackware for the experienced,
Gentoo for the brave !

(:P Not my own, but something I read somewhere on the net, LinuxQuestions I guess.

I'm still not up to using gentoo. It's a little too much trouble than I would care for. Like come on... 2 days for installing an OS? Not for me :D.

Everytime I can, i install Mandrake, you are right, it's rather close to the usual way of windowing, and has a lot of assistants helping you if you are not familiar with Unix. Sometimes, for professional needs, I have to install RedHat enterprise Linux, it's less easy to use but still at an acceptable level of easyness.

If you are a normal windows user and you still want to play games i think you shouldnt bother with an emulator. I havent tried them but i dont see the point when you alread have a non-crimimal (i guess) windows on your computer. Do a dual boot - they arent hard and with a 'easy' distro like mandrake or ubuntu the set up should be a doddle.I personally have no experience of mandrake and im sure its good (well it is linux :D ) but i have used ubuntu and it is super easy and super nice.If you aren't too tech id say use ubuntu - its motto is 'linux for human beings' which is nice

I've used Redhat and I think it's the best for a linux newbie. Actually with Gnome you can have a friendly windows like desktop.I've ordered ubuntu and I'm yet waiting for the cds to arrive.About gaming, I don't think there are top level games developed for linux. If you are a gaming addict better stick with windows.