xisto Community
TotalLamer

Which Distro Of Linux Is Best For A Windows User ?

i second SuSE for a desktop.; Its very stable and professional. Ubuntu has alot of happy users and gives out free cds.If you dont have alot of experience with linux, the best choice would probally be a Live CD so you can test out a bunch of distros without commiting to one..

Well if you are in to gaming so much you are going to need WineX to get your windows programs and games running. If you dont want to play your games under Linux but you just want to learn linux so i suggest you download a live cd. As far as i know Knoppix is a very fine quality liveCD. And for a distro i use Slackware11 and i definitely recommend it.

If your hardware is compatible SuSE is a really good Linux distro for beginning Linux users.But if you wish to learn linux deeply I will recommend trying and installing Red Hat Fedora Core 6 OR Ubuntu.Linspire is also a good option for beginers.IMO if you learn the terminal Linux is very easy but it will take time..

I would recommend ubuntu. I don't know why somebody said it's hard to use, before installing ubuntu, I've used windows and os x, and I would say that those are harder to use than ubuntu, ubuntu is pretty much straight forward.. well for me at least. I dual booted my computer with Ubuntu and windows xp, when I feel like using windows programs. The newest version of ubuntu is the most easy version to install and dual boot than any of the older versions too.

I've tried a lot of n00b distros (Ubuntu, Freespire, Suse, ect) and feel that PCLinuxOS is the slickest, least problematic, and most easy to use and configure. Also, If you would like the option of being able to log in as root, PCLinuxOS lets you do that. I never really find that necessary, however.

I also would recommend ubuntu. It is probably one of the easiest to install (although many are very easy to install), and it seems to support a ton of hardware out of the box that many other distros seem to have trouble with. So if you are looking for support for your computers hardware, then I would go with ubuntu. It'll just plain work without having to do a ton of tinkering...

As I'll be using Linux pretty much all the time at uni (Windows is an option, as is the MacOS and a few others, but I like the idea of Linux) I've been thinking about making the switch. Bear in mind that I intend to use Linux "from scratch" (namely have a dedicated Linux machine), so I'm not too worried about compatability issues. I know it can do everything I need it to do (and more), so I'm considering switching from Windows earlier rather than later to avoid hassle later on.

Any advice on which one to go for? I've read through up to here, and there's so many to choose from. :roll:

Ubuntu seems to be the general consensus, so I've got to ask why that's the case. What has it got that the others lack?

I would say Kubuntu - as I prefer the K Desktop environment to GNOME any day --- as this is a Debian release, I guess Debian is officially my answer... Additionally I like the Knoppix linux distro- I've found it really easy to mount ntfs drives rw... so I can diagnose and configure my windows systems as well...

it really depends, did u still want something windows like?
if so, then either anything and get the XPDE desktop environment or... i founf a distro that is alot like windows, aLinux

but i personally wouldnt want anything like windows. the new ubuntu looks nice. though if you want something packed and big then either SUSE/SLED or fedora.

Some choose Linux as their resort and hate Windows - and want nothing to do with it. Sure, a good choice. There is a jungle of distros which appeal to many different people. The topic however is one that matches the transition of Windows, or would make it easier for a user.

Obvious picks are (k)Ubuntu. Its goal is trying to be as much user friendly as possible.
There is also Linux Mint.

https://linuxmint.com/

Pleasing to the eye too.

Edited by Alegis (see edit history)

I still don't understand why people still ask this question, but usually the answer would be, just go out and try them, most of them are free anyways. There is no such thing as a specific Linux distribution that's great for Windows users. Some Windows users uses their machine differently, have different requirement. Thus, there's NO such thing as a universal "ONE" for Windows users.xboxrulz

exactlyjust download the live versions of a heap and if you like one then download the installable one. or you could have chosen one that is a live but installable linux distro.but most linux software is open source i think, i can only think of a few commercial programs for linux. you wont probably get software as good as windows software.