xisto Community
wua05

Space Exploration (nasa= Good/bad)

In my point of view, NASA should reduce their cost. The US government either should spent more on other, such as educations, earth-saving-technologies, or securities. On the other hand, US government can also privatize NASA, funded by investors. In the meanwhile, the states can save alot of money.Rely on my knowledge, there are still many private space agency around the globe, they can't get business. NASA offered cheap prices for satelite launches and making other space agency losing the contract. By offering cheap prices, NASA had to "burn" their own country's money. It is like buying an ice-cream which cost $100 and sell it to someone else $10.Why NASA does that? It is because NASA wanted to conquer the space exploration.

I think that NASA is great for the good of most everything.I mean, there are so many benefits, like smoke alarms... And microwaves. Breast cancer biopsy machines.. The MRI, among many other things.And we need to learn whats out there.Also NASA gives many jobs to people who otherwise might not have one. NASA is a huge plus to everything.

NASA needs to develop some sort of electromagnetic field to eliminate the possibility of a solar flare nuking our space pilots...additionally, i think we're still stuck on the fact that at any moment a ship could be pierced by incredibly fast although small particles that are whizzing around, ungoverned by air resistance...other than that, besides the obvious downsides to the beaurocratic operations of NASA, I see inherent good in searching for other places to plant our life... but as for mars, and the moon... both of which lacking in a solid electromagnetic field, and therefore unable to support a decent atmosphere, it may be next to impossible to get a civilisation there in a reasonable amount of time before we end ourselves on this planet...with that said, i still think many ambitions of NASA=good... although we still need to take better care of our home here, as we can't use space exploration as a cop-out...in any case... i'm glad computers have come to their current level today, as otherwise, I don't know what I'd make my "craft" ;; )added here:in addition, I think we should promote the development of competing organisations, as this competition seems to drive change and optimisation in most programs... just as the US vs USSR competition drove us so far earlier in the program... internal competition could drive us to new and unanticipated levels...in any case, I don't think any one organisation needs to hold a monopoly over space travel and exploration in general...just some thoughts

Edited by polarysekt (see edit history)

Well whenever the sun does it's thing, isn't the only concern."There is more than one way to skin cat" as they say, so there are many other things and factors that can frankly screw us, long before the sun gives in.Exploring fair enough, but I have no interest in space what so ever, the internet is more than possible without space (we do still have land lines and dial-up/cable you know........).Sure it'd be more of a pain, but very possible, that and we would just find a way around that issue soon enough.But it's got to have it's uses, considering what goes into it, so just leave it alone.

Well, I can say that NASA and space exploration is really wasting a lot of funds, some people say for nothing, why waste so much money? why not spend it for people? that everyone wouldn't be hungry and everyone would have normal water and wouldn't die from getting cold and etc. But I can say that, even though it might seem useless exploring the space, but I think people always were curious, they discovered America by going nowhere and I think they are still curious about Space Exploration and knowing as much as possible about it, so I am not against it, I myself am curious, but of course not to much, that I would use all my time for that topic. ^_^

I think that Space Exploration is awesome! We may never find out what's out there but using the money. May help us Figure Things out!-reply by John Von Smithers

ok I think one thing people have missed on the importance of finding another habitable planet is that there is an extreme possibility that this planet will become inhospitable far sooner than the sun will die(red giant nova all that included) reason is that our planet has been calculated as drifting away from the sun at an exponential rate that was rated I believe in the 80's as being 1 inch a year. this does not seem like much but apparently it is doubling something like every 5 years so it is now drifting at least 8 to 10 inches a year and this is going to have drastic effect at some point soon (not in our life times hopefully but possibly by the time our great grand children are in the working class) Why are we not noticing this? Well notice all the global warming due to 80% volcanic activity, 12% cows(methane), and the rest a combination of animals gases minus the 3% caused by our burning combustible fuels (no we are not the big contributors to the global warming sorry folks we aren't that important or powerful ... yet) if we were to take all of that away then we would quickly see a dramatic decrease in temperature and the steady decrease would also be noticed thus giving us time to adapt. however since we do have it we will have a number of years where it will be warmer but when we drift to far away to support some of the plant and animal growth to support the warming trend then things will start rolling rapidly down the hill the other way and a cold snap will ensue (provided the first statement is accurate being that scientists have been wrong before) and some unforeseen event does not occur due to the cooling process or even an event causes our planet to shift back or stabelise it's orbit. Two things can come from space exploration that would help this one is to use it to find another planet of course and I am all for that as it would double our chances of survival as a race and more importantly an ecology (humans are not the only thing going to that colony) but the other would be to find a way to move our planet to save it and even one day find a way to revitalize our sun extending it's lifespan.

ON FEEDING THE POOR

I can't agree for that reason being a good one to drop space exploration because:

we pay farmers tremendous money every year through our illustrious government to let grain and other crops to set in their silos and rot inorder to keep the market from financially plummeting. and since that is the case then the government should buy that grain as it already has and transport it out to be used to feed the poor, while they are being educated to become a productive members of society. (maybe even workers in some facility that gives manufacturing support to the space industry ;-) )

as for NASA I think more private sector money should be devoted to privately developing space faring technology and far out way what NASA is currently doing (spaceship one is an example) If you want over unity you have it but it is over looked. we as humans produce far more of what we need than we actually use so we can apply that extra energy and profit to this.)

Edited by morphious69 (see edit history)

The world is moving farther away from the sun and space exploration is well enough, but on the chance that humans actually do find another inhabitable planet, people will begin to want to travel there starting probably as a new colony as well as a tourist resort or something along those lines. Not all tourists are nice enough to walk to the nearest trash can to throw away their garbage as it is now. More likely than not, people would do the same thing there as they do here and not only that, but if there is another planet that is inhabitable, then there is a possibility for a different intelligent lifeform other than humans (not that humans are super intelligent, they are perhaps just a small step up from an animal) and what would happen to them? Some would wish to coexist, but there would also be those who would wish ill of them. It could even be that the people of Earth would do the same thing to extraterrestrials as they did with the native Americans or African-Americans. I think NASA's space exploration is actually a very good thing, but the human race is not quite ready for whatever may be "out there", and possibly, what is "out there" may not be ready for us as well.

My 2c. Do I think space exploration is a good idea? Maybe. I can't really comment as I don't know much about NASA, but of all the wonderful things that we might discover due to space exploration, I just hope it is not tainted by that most evil of human ideas, money. I've heard of paid rides into space and things like that already popping up, and for me I think it only cheapens the value of such a thing. If experience tells us anything, if humans figure out how to do something, they will do it. I think it only inevitable that we will reach up and learn more about what is out there, not least of all other possible life forms.On the flip side, step back for a moment and stare at the stars. Space may be one of those few things that we have left that we can only reach in our wildest dreams, and all the possible things that might be out there. There may likely come a day when the wonder is removed from space, and that might make the universe a duller place. Think how people a few hundred years ago looked across the sea in wonder at what was beyond the horizon, or into the sky at the birds flying over head and only wishing we could do the same. Now we know, and these things seem merely trivial to us now. It will probably not happen for many generations to come, but perhaps one day we will take space for granted as well?Cheers,Hoopa

NO WE SHOULDNT

Space Exploration (nasa= Good/bad)

Replying to wua05

Before we can begin to find out about other cultures on other planets, we must improve our own. Before we spend billions of dollars to find if there are other life forms out there, we must preserve our own. First, we must cure all the diseases that are killing millions of humans. What is the use of finding other life forms if, by the time we do, our population is diminished by half, if not more? AIDS can kill us all. NOW! Before we spend money on the future consequences, think of the present ones that may kill our chances of even having a future. What about hunger, poverty, and homelessness that exists on OUR PLANET? We don't even know if there are other life forms that have these problems, so first we must solve our own. When we can safely say that there are no hungry or homeless people living on our Earth, then we can begin worrying about other potential life forms and their possible problems. Until then, let's stick to life on Earth and not "space out!"

-reply by SammyxSpacexFreak

Sorry but the Earth is Not moving away from the sun at an exponential rate. I would be curious to see a cite on that. The Earth mves from the sun at about 1.5cm annually. Space xploration has led to many inventions and improvements. Thus it should continue.

I'm mixed as far as NASA goes.I think there are several useful applications of space exploration and the biddings of NASA:-Helping us to learn about how space and physics and general operates can help us in a number of practical applications and advancing technologies back on Earth.-Learning about the possible origins of life or how life if it exists operates on other planets could help us find new ways to think about life and problems here.-There could be possible resources that could be used on Earth out in space, compounds that require extreme amounts of energy or pressure to form (think diamonds, although not really a compound, it requires extreme heat and pressure to form diamond) could be useful in new types of metals, armors, machine parts, or even energy sources.-Colonization of space is also something that could be really useful. If water exists even deep underneath the surface of Mars its possible we could bring some to the surface, add our own, or find other natural ways to create it. We could terraform Mars one day. We could make use the greenhouse effect that is harmful to us right now to heat up Mars to be conducive to life and introduce nutrients and plants and slowly animals and large human populations to Mars.It might take a long time but I'd love to one day see fuels being burned on Mars to increase the surface temperature, then fertilizers, plants, the whole shebang brought over to begin growing farms in huge tents pumping out oxygen generated by the plants and pumping in excess CO2 from the atmosphere, decaying and building a biological soil layer. Then larger plants, and slowly small animals and eventually bigger animals and people.. The interesting thing I think is how much water could we get on Mars? Mars is known to have water vapor in its atmosphere, but is there enough laying around to form oceans or at least seas or large lakes and to form storm-systems to support life long-term?Anyways alot of questions, but even with the possible gains from space exploration the big question is is it all worth it for a shot in the dark? I think we should continue to try and explore space but our first and foremost concern should remain Earth and bettering it first.

NASA's project on space exploration is very important to our survival as human beings. As we continue to live on this planet we will eventually run out of the resources that has kept us on this planet for so many millions of years. So with the exploration of mars and seeing if the planet itself is capable of inhabitable life we would have found our new area for resources or more so a new world to go to. We have come really far to being able to send probes out their now we have our own robot to scavenge for life on Mars is a great way to find what we have been looking for for years. This world is almost outgrown its lifespan and our worlds population has been increasing at an exponential rate. And very soon the world we know of right now will not be able to hold our weight.With the news reports on the many space explorations that NASA has under went I became facisnated at how close we are to finding life on other planets. Because in actuality there really has to be something out their with our intelligence or even greater. We cant be the only ones out there that can do things. The universe is a vast space that has to be abundent in life. Fictional stories and movie adaptations of life in outerspace may soon come true once NASA has reached its goal in determining that MARs can actually be inhabited. That alone gives proof to what we can expect in the near future of how far we can take that knowledge and expand it to our horizons and take off with the knowledge that it has given us as human beings. There has been many discoveries in the past but this should be a shocking and most important one to our human race. And from this discovery we might even take the next step into embarking a journey to MARs like we have already done so on to the MOON.Many have said and believed that this type of event could not be possible, but scientists and great minds at NASA has proved with great investigation that this may be the new world that we have been looking for, for so long. Movies that were fictional actually and probably hold some of the truth that is to come. And with that it is only a matter of time before we discover what it is we are looking for.