xisto Community
jcguy

Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail Whos winning the battle?

A'ight,

while reading through I was just wondering that no one brought up attachment size.

I'm using Gmail too and I'm quite happy with it.

Except:

-Locally deleted emails aren't deleted by POP (I do not think, this is a wrong setting of mine).

-I'm German and therefore a victim of German spam too, which slips easily through Gmails filter (which I love, because I never have to check it for mistaken emails, it only gets the right ones. If it ever mistakes an email by someone I know, it probably won't be worth reading :) )

-no POP collection (the (in any other way really bad) German provider web.de has this: the email account collects your email from other POP accounts. I would need it because I still have an old account at another place which does not support forwarding, so I have to check it again and again).

I think a lot of you are wrong about the space. I'm getting a lot of attachments, like friends sending me their favourite tracks or because I'm working with newspapers, layout files, pictures, etc.

I currently use 7% of my 2600 MB and I'm not a Gmail-user from the first second. That's the nice thing: I won't have to delete anything anymore. Not even spam, if I don't want to. This makes it a lot easier. I had a lot of interesting emails, I wrote when I was younger, that I lost due to computer changes etc. Would've been nice to have them in Google's trusted hands.

Maybe most of you don't use their email accounts for sending files that much, because they've better ways. Me and my friends, we use it an awful lot, it simply is the easiest way of sharing a (maybe confidential) file between two or more, when they are not online at the same time.

This view made me wonder that NONE of you brought up attachment size...

I don't know about all different email-offers, but the hard limit I encountered by now is 10 MB as set by the leading companies. This is quite small, considering that the data amount we are trying to send grows with the quality, etc.

I don't know about you, but if there was a reliable service, offering me to send 50 MB attachments, I would switch immediately.

Of course my friends would need it to, to receive, but I'm sure that this service would enjoy great popularity.

Another argument, no one came up with, is this: You always said, that Hotmail and Yahoo will stay popular because of their messengers. I totally agree as I'm in Sweden right now, where everyone uses MSN (instead of ICQ, like in my part of Germany) and they all use this email address because it is more comfortable to give away only ONE address, right?

But: You should not forget, that Googlemail is associated with the most popular site on the web: https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl

They strive to personalisation (Google IG) and messenging (GoogleTalK!) too and I think this will get much more popular in the future. Google has a really good image or does someone here think different? AT LEAST compared to Hotmail/Microsoft.

I think, many people would like to have their Emails displayed on their favourite search engine like on this IG-starting page. I do. Plain luxury.

Oookay, these were my personal thoughts about the whole competition thing and as you can see, I agree with all of you: Google strikes!

good night,

Ruben

I just don't know what I gotta do with 1 Gig.

I'm using Hotmail, but that's enough for me.. so I don't think I need Gmail or Yahoo! mail.

And maybe Hotmail will follow Gmail and make it 2 Gig.. than I got more space..! :)

1064312078[/snapback]

I gotta admit, im a GMAIL fanboy...........

msn/hotmail would have to be my favorite.. i have e-mail accounts with aol, hotmail, and yahoo.. but out of the ones you mentioned, i prefer hotmail. i have 3 accounts with them, and yahoo, i don't get much mail to check.. i don't know anyone who uses g-mail..

1064311973[/snapback]

Don't know anyone who uses Gmail????? Hello!!!!

Just about all of us have Gmail, and more than 90% of those who do are more than happy with it.

This view made me wonder that NONE of you brought up attachment size...

I don't know about all different email-offers, but the hard limit I encountered by now is 10 MB as set by the leading companies. This is quite small, considering that the data amount we are trying to send grows with the quality, etc.

I don't know about you, but if there was a reliable service, offering me to send 50 MB attachments, I would switch immediately.

Of course my friends would need it to, to receive, but I'm sure that this service would enjoy great popularity.

There is a site in the states, unfortunately i don't remember the name, they were offering 1 terabyte email storage, and 50 MB attachment size. Something to do with bikers. Run a search on Google and see if you can find it, or maybe someone else here knows about it. They are a bit sparse in some things, like no POP forwading, but if you're after size, and for free, they've got it.

Hotmail is really annoying and worthless, the amount of junk mail you get is overwhelming and the pop-ups and other stuff is just too much as it only offers now i think 250mb? however I think Gmail is winning the battle with no pop ups, no junk mail (well not for me anyway) and 1gb free space even though i dont even use that much

I didn't search for this bikers-site, because it does not help that much if your friends haven't got it.Therefore I'll stick to solutions like rapidshare.I wanted to add:The reason for you fools, getting that much spam at hotmail is not that they sell your addresses or something (I know because I have two hotmail accounts of which I didn't spread the addresses and which had long names, and they don't get spammed. Ok, you could call it luck, but I don't.). First: Gmail forces to have long user names (at least 8 letters or something), which makes it less likely to be found by random messaging.Secondly gmail is new, so it is not that useful for spammers to randomly spam Gmail addresses, because they won't have that much success. A thing, which will surely change as soon as more people start to use.We can just hope that the Gmailteam keeps up, so still most spam messages are directly send to the Spam-Box. By now I already have at least three emails in two days, that bypass the Gmail filter and have to be sorted out by my Mail-App (I get that much, because I have a forwarding address, already infected)

I think that if gmail did not require invites, it would already have yahoo and hotmail out of the running, but it they did allow anyone to sign up then they would probably have to lower the amount of space everyone gets.

Alright simple enough:

Disk space

Gmail - 2+ gigabytes

Yahoo! - 1 gigabyte

Hotmail - 2 megabytes

Advertisement

Gmail - No ads

Yahoo! - Ads

Hotmail - Ads

Navigation

Gmail - Fast

Yahoo! - Standard

Hotmail - Sub-par

Screw Hotmail and Hail Gmail

something is wrong with you post cyborg, gmail does offer ads, exept they are only relevant ads, like all email services gmail bots scans your email and places ads that are relevant to the content of your email and hotmail is offering 250megs for freeone more thing i have to point out is hotmail offers 2mb attachments, i believe yahoo offers 5megs for attachments, but gmail offers an amazing 50 megs! there is one draw back, they only alow 10megs per attachment but i was able to send 48 megs 10, 3-5mb files you have to wait a small amount of time and gmail doesnt in any way tell you the file is to big or how long left till its finished.gmail places no ads in your email! your email just got more organized! with hotmail you get virus scan results and ads that have nothing to do with the email posted at the bottom of your message, i dont know if yahoo does but gmail most definetly does not! this is yet another amazing feature of gmail.Hotmail is a microsoft company, shouldnt they offer more then just 250 free megs?? microsoft makes twice as much as google does get google offers 4x more! yahoo offers 1 gig for email storage, but you have to pay for it....and who wants to pay for 1 gig?? ive used 189megs of my gmail account and it was free! Signup....gmail isnt a completly free service at the moment, thats why they havnt opened up free account signups, but gmail hands out 50 invites every 2 months so they are just testing their server load how uch space they can continue on offering and so on, personally i think gmail will be forever beta because google is just not happy with their work untill they get ALL the business. you know google is going to start a google version of paypal because they just started using electronic transfers in google adsense.gmail has 2658 MB at this very moment yet it still continues to climb! they will be offering 3 gigs by the end of the year! gmail is by far the best email service out there, and i dont know about this 30gigs email account but i dont think they will ever match up to google.speed. googles server is definetly the fastest out of hotmail/yahoo, hotmail has ads plastered all over the place which slows down the loading proccess exponentially, also microsoft has xbox live, msn, msn gaming zone, passports, ect... all running down thier servers and all these places have ads in every corner of every page as for yahoo, they definetly tip the scale in their direction over hotmail since there is no chance beating gmail they have to take out hotmailsimple truth, gmail...simply the best, this fight is over ans always has been, may as well close the thread, its usless for hotmail and yahoo! mail to even hopeless try to come close to gmail

I think they will follow up with a gig of space or whatever. Hotmails been with me since the day I got on the internet to get an email. There's a percentage of how much storage I'm using of mails, I thought I would have like at least 40 percent full, but amazingly it's less than 1 percent! No reason for me to really care about 2 gigs if I can't even fill up a 250 meg huh :D So no worries for me.

In Belgium lots of people use Hotmail. Mostly they are computer newbies so they don't care about storage space, nor they look for better options. I like Gmail, but still use Hotmail because it's easily integrated in MSN Messenger.

My first free EMail service was yahoo, but I stopped using it shortly after I started. Then I transfered to Hotmail, because I needed it for using MSN Messenger. As the matter of fact, I still use it, but I get only spam. Recently, I had to delete most of my messages (the ones that I got before I stopped using it for emailing) because I was nearing my 4MB storage limit :D