xisto Community
rapco

Antivirus Slows Down Your PC? norton does...

OPk, i opened i topic about not being able to uninstall norton... the last post was about the "slow down" effect of norton....
Can't unistall norton antivirus 2005

I'm oppening this topic to get to know the antivirus... i'm currently using McAfee 9.0 wichi find excelente...

I have tested panda also, very good one too!!!!!

NORTON SLOW DOWN THE PC... AND THE NORTON INTERNET SECURITY...WELLL....THAT'S EVEN WORSE!!!!!!!!

Please comment on the antivirus u have used, and if they have slow down your pc...

Well... sorry to disagree with you mimi_m, the "huge problem here" is that i use broadband internet connection.. meaning: I'M ALWAYS CONNECTED!, so i need my antiviru software to RUN AT ALL TIMES!, beasides, McAfee it's stopping viruses too!!!
Why do u think a service like Hotmail (a huge cominuty) uses McAfee virus scanner rather than Norton?????

I'm not trying to attack Symantec.. Particion Magic IT'S EXCELENT!, but their antivirus is not... sorry

oh............. but ican uninstall!

Yea i noticed that my anti-virus is a major bogg down to my pc, well my laptop anyways. It takes up a lot of processing power when it is active or scanning. When Im doing other things with the computer as it runs, everythings process power gets cut by more than half I believe. I mainly use norton internet security, which is a anti virus program that checks stuff as your browsing the internet as well. Although it does slightly bogg down my computer, I rather be safe than sorry. From the day I started using the anti virus program I never had a virus, or a attack on my computer.

VladHey!I used norton for about to years, all this time my pc was real slow until I figured out what was the problem. Looked in cpu usage by norton and was shocked. It really delays ur pc. SO! I installed Kaspersky, different world now, the performance increase of about 300%. Never used macaffe, but heard that trend is good also.

When you go to add and remove programs, click on the "change" option and choose remove all. Norton has a habit of failing to uninstall completely if you choose "remove". If this is the issue, and you have locked it in a partially removed state, go to Symantec support and download the symantec software removal tool. It will get the remnants of the program out of your pc. I recommend bitdefender or zone labs to my clients. They are low system profile programs and exceptionally good. Depending on level of computer experience, use either one. Zone Labs has a more complex interface requiring a little more experience, and bitdefender is more "user" friendly.-Jodi

Look guys, I've had McAfee, Avast!, AVG and lots of more AV Software. Norton, in my opinion, it slows pc a bit but it protects it better than other AV programms. It's fame it based on its protection... not speed. -George

Norton Anti virus drastically slows down the computer. I just purchased Norton Anti virus 2008 and it slowed down my computer so terribly that I had to uninstall it. I suggest Norton anti virus must never be used.

Is Norton really worth the 5 minute start-up wait? I usually get a snack, talk, etc, then come back to the comp b/see it takes forever to start. I tested and uninstalled Norton and it was fast!. Norton is the culprit. But I keep it anyway since I need a virus protector...sigh...sacrifices...-Cyreneq

I have Norton 360 installed on a machine with Intel core to duo and 2GB memory with Windows XP pro. It takes about 3/4 minutes to start PC up and I have strong suspicions against Norton 360 for this. When PC runs I don't really have any issues with speed, but then again - as said before - I don't know how this PC runs without Norton, so might just be used to it...Remco-Remco

remedy of slow performane dut to norton antivirus

Antivirus Slows Down Your PC?

The slow speed of my laptop and PC due to norton antivirus has caused a great problem. The remedy to it may please be provided.

-Manish Prasad

Norton Antivirus and slow computer

Antivirus Slows Down Your PC?

I've always used Norton, and no big issues. But when I installed Antivirus 2008, the computer slowed to less than a snail's pace. It's program - ccSvcHst.Exe - is taking from 500,000 to 700,000 KB of space almost all the time. Therefore, I'm uninstalling and have downloaded NOD32. Though not as user friendly, all the reviewers indicate it does as well as Norton, but with a very small footprint.

I've had it with Norton's bloatware!

-karakat

Well... sorry to disagree with you mimi_m, the "huge problem here" is that i use broadband internet connection.. meaning: I'M ALWAYS CONNECTED!, so i need my antiviru software to RUN AT ALL TIMES!, beasides, McAfee it's stopping viruses too!!!
Why do u think a service like Hotmail (a huge cominuty) uses McAfee virus scanner rather than Norton?????

I'm not trying to attack Symantec.. Particion Magic IT'S EXCELENT!, but their antivirus is not... sorry

Well recently i have had problems installing norton 2005 so i have switched to avg anti virus which seem to be much better in my opinion. Anti virus software only makes your pc boot up slower because it is starting all the programs in your quick launch toolbar and the more things that needed to be started when booting up makes it that bit slower but it shouldnt make a majour difference. If you are virus canning your pc while browsing the internet i have found this makes your web browser take longer to buffer vidios even make them crash but i have an old pc so this could be why.

i have tested a lot of antiviruses... and all of them slow down the system. I use nod32 because you can manually adjust the settings for the program. fx i have set nod32 to only scan internet traffic. and in case i download som files i just enable the local scanning until im sure that the new files on my computer contain no viruses.