xisto Community
rapco

Antivirus Slows Down Your PC? norton does...

Its not just Norton 2005. I have a copy of Norton 360 and i usually get some of the same problems. Ive owned Norton 2005 in the past and 360 is a better security suite in my opinion but generally i find Norton to be slow. But what are you going to do you have to have the greatest security with all the problems on the internet now.

Strange

Antivirus Slows Down Your PC?

Norton did/does slow down my PC (2008 version) running XP Pro

However it seems to be back to normal - but only if I use the 'Classic. Appearance. Too soon to be certain... But the effect is startling... Anyone else see this?

-reply by simsoc

Norton 360 is crap

Antivirus Slows Down Your PC?

I have had 2 remote troubleshootings from Norton and my PC still crawls despite having a 1GB ram. I really regretted by the 360, it is a waste of money.

-reply by Roy Goh

Replying to rapcoI find that since I installed Norton, it takes 15 minutes for my system to fully boot up and become fully usable. In that 15 minutes, if I try to use an application, it is incredibly slow. After 15 minutes, everything operates at normal speed.Would love to understand why this happens-reply by John Nazareth

norton 2009 (anygood)Antivirus Slows Down Your PC?

Has anyone started using Norton Internet security 2009 if so can you comment I have just installed it on my new laptop but I am worried it will slow down pls comment??

-reply by will

Norton 2009 slowing down my PCAntivirus Slows Down Your PC?

Norton  2009  antivirus  was slowing  down  my  pc  on  everything, like  30  minutes  to  print  out  two  pages on  printer.  Tech man  installed AIV  antivirus,  which  is  free  and  no annual  update fees.  So far  so  good.

-reply by AllenDale

what antivirus is best?Antivirus Slows Down Your PC?I recommend panda antivirus 2009 it protects you from anything and you can even activate it every time your trial expires...Also the web content control gives you a chanse to add a password so no one can use your computer from your family or friends if you wish for them to not but it doesnt affect the internet every single time you opne internet explorer or any other type of internet you have to browse it only takes effect when you restart your computer...But this is wonderful anitivirus! it even has its own firewall incanse you need one!-reply by Nena

what happens after my free panda antivirus trial expires?Antivirus Slows Down Your PC?

Replying to Brian01001

well I recommend panda antivirus 2009 it protects you from anything like I mean you can even enable web content control and no one you want can access the internet bu tyou because it asks you to add a password I like that because sometimes I wish for my friends no to go in because you never know what they might download or search that can cause viruses! but I just say this because I enjoy panda and it really has helped me from viruses and then you have to update your panda once a week it helps I mean your free trial is awesome because you can activate your cide anytime it expires!Wow...Not all of the antiviris can do that with the web control!

That's a fact. I think every antivirus does slows your computer down because it needs resources to function and to check the system. I think every antivirus I used slowed down my computer but the one slowed the most was Nod32.

One antivirus that doesnt slow it down....Antivirus Slows Down Your PC?

I've used Norton and McAfee before, they both slow down my PCs, and they're pretty powerful PCs. Norton is HORRIBLE about slowing down computers. Almost everyone who has ever used Norton knows that. But Live OneCare from Microsoft does it all and doesn't slow down computers. At least not mine. And theres the price. For like 50 or 60 bucks, you get protection for 3...Yes THREE computers for about the same price as ONE Norton or McAfee license. REALLY useful for people like me who have more than one computer. Plus, if you install OneCare on a network (like a home network), and one computer installs a printer, OneCare will detect the printer has been installed on that PC on the network and will ask you if you want to install it on the computer, don't even need to go get the disks. It does it all for you. Very useful. It also does automatic backup of all the PCs that OneCare is on. Say you have it on 3 computers on your home network...And you want to back them all up. You can have all of the computers back up to an external drive on one of the computers automatically. Like that cheesy old infomercial use to say "Set it...AND FORGET IT!! (applause)" That, plus I've used the other two products, and they've NEVER cought a virus as I got it. I've seen Live OneCare catch SEVERAL viruses (mainly from Limewire, don't just me). Norton and McAfee only detected stuff once a scan was ran. I usually have OneCare closed and only running in the background, and still it catches viruses as I get them in real time. I HIGHLY recommend Microsoft Live OneCare.Replying to rapco

-reply by Matt

Kaspersky is slowing your computer for about 60% according to me. BitDefender is slowing about 75%, NOD32 it's the best antivirus but with weak firewall. Because of that i decided to make my combination and here it is: Outpost Firewall Pro 2009 + NOD32 = Deadly combianation. Try it, it's slows the PC about 35% according to me :( Im using it and i am happy with big protection and small system requriments.

Kaspersky problemAntivirus Slows Down Your PC?

I got infected with some trojans and viruses. I needed a more powerful anti-virus than norton. I installed a trial version of kaspersky 2010. I decided then to disable is as my computer was working very slowly. Before disabling I got a message, something like: "network connections shall be disabled. Yes/no". I chose "yes" by mistake and there it is my problem. I cannot have access to the other PCs I am connected to. Strange thing is that I am connected to the internet and the printer and I can receive e-mails but I cannot send. I uninstalled KAV but no improvement. I am desperate, I no longer have access to PCs I am connected to. 

Can anyone come up with an idea? Thanks.

-reply by padurica

McAfeeAntivirus Slows Down Your PC?

I don't know what crap people are saying about McAfee,But my opinion is that it is a resource HOG.I am a gamer and I play strategy games that have many units on the screen.When I had McAfee on my system it caused extreme game lag.So since I was not using the net to play my games I decided to turn off all the settings in McAfee.Even when you turn them off  it still has background programs running.I used Game Booster which turns off all programs not needed to play a game and it still could not shut down McAfee back ground programs (scanner auto updates and warning popups).I went to my registry services to shut anything down that McAfee had running and found 3 that would not allow you to sut down.

Even with as much as I was allowed to sut down on McAfee I got the game lag.I also got video stutter and lag when I tried to watch online tv and movies.

I have a fast overclocked system and should not be hindered by a program.

780i MB

8gig 1066 ddr2 ram

Pentium e8600 dual core processor

2x GTX285 FTW video cards in SLI

So I uninstalled McAfee and my system is screaming again.Games are running very smooth.Video and Movies have no stutters or hicups.

My opinion McAfee sucks.

-reply by DONALD W STEVENS