xisto Community
rapco

Antivirus Slows Down Your PC? norton does...

A bus spotter friend of mine has Kaspersky installed & has found that he is blocked out of a well established bus web site. The reason its been identified as a phishing site. Which is total crap 

-reply by John

I used McAfee Antivirus and Norton Antivirus and I agree with you that both of them slow down your computer because they take up too much RAM. In my opinion, I believe that it if you have a large amount of RAM, you will not see much of a noticeable difference in the drop of speed. If you have only one or two gigabytes of RAM, then you may want to try Panda Cloud antivirus like I use since it is very lightweight but still does its job.

I have used many antivirus programs in the past mainly due to the fact that they slowed down my computer to such a slow pace that I ended up getting annoyed and uninstalling them :)I am currently into freeware antivirus software and highly recommend avg and avast both of these seem to do the job just as well as the commercial pieces of software such as Symantec/Norton antivirus and McAfee. I have noticed that the avg and avast anti virus programs don't really seem to slow down your machine unless they are performing a full scan.I have used Norton/McAfee in the past and both pieces of software have, on numerous occasions, caused by computer to completely slow down and crash. I have used the internet security suites of both of these too and these were particularly bad, worse than just having the antivirus program on its own.

Edited by GrumbleBall (see edit history)

Norton Anti-Virus 2011 slowed my computer down to crawl. like a 286 computer!Antivirus Slows Down Your PC?

After installing Norton 2011 Anti Virus. My whole system slowed down to a crawl and got slower each day. What a bunch of crap Norton is. It used to be the best. I will not **** with it again. Stick to Microsoft anti virus that comes with XP and shareware free. I just lost 50 clams faster than placing that money on a 3 legged horse, blind and a 300 lb. Rider!.   

-reply by Gary Schwandt