xisto Community
kc8yff

Mac / Windows: Whats The Best ?

I like the Mac OS better, because it looks more savvy than windows. In windows everything crashes.

Plus, I hate Bill Gates.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True.. MacOS is quite nice. But it does give as much problems as Windows does. Infact, I use both OS's for work & play and the I find Windows easier to cope with. This is because Windows gives you some sort of hint when as to why it crashes. Mac? Well lets say that I gave up after 7 hours of trying to figure out what the problem was the last time it crashed. I ended up reloading.

I'm thinking, perhaps, your windows wasn't setup properly why your Windows crash. :(

I haven't have to reload my Windows machines for almost 2 years now. The last crash I had was because my modem got burnt (an you'll know that win modems with hang the PC because it uses the CPU to carry out its functions). A quick switch an I was back to normal.

This question is easy: get a Mac, it is more user-friendly, less clogged, more stable and less evil operating system and machine than Windows which is not as user-friendly, clogged w/ spyware and bloatware (WinXP is spyware) and all that crap.xboxrulz

Hands down...get a Macintosh. I'm quite familar with Mac OS X, and Windows, (as well as Linux and OpenBSD). Apple pays a LOT more attention to product quality than Microsoft does, and ever will, and takes much better care of their customers. The hardware platform of the Macintosh, combined with the UNIX base of it, makes a system that is much more stable than Windows could ever offer (anyone here that is telling you otherwise, has obviously not used a Macintosh computer enough to know this). At Apple Computer, what they do is not so much a business as it is a "spiritual experience" (in the mind of Steve Jobs). I use Mac OS X, as well as Debian Linux every day, several hours a day. For the programs you mentioned, Picking up a Mac mini and a copy of iLife Suite '05 would suit you quite well.

I agree with empty calorie. Also, I want to say that running Macs can also enable you to use UNIX software. You can compile and run Linux software too! Which you can't do that on Windows natively.That's if you want to do something like that...xboxrulz

I am sure I ahve weighed in on this topic somewhere else but I will agian.I use Mac OS X on Intel now on a daily basis (we have the developer's boxes). A year ago when this thread was launched I would have said wait for the Mac Mini's with 512MB of ram, well those are here now. I am going to say: wait: the OS X on intel will be out by Feb. So long as your not going to be running Pro Apps (Final Cut Pro et. al.), wait for OS X on Intel.All the iLife Applications work fine, some hiccups, but again, we have the developer's edition...it is supposed to have hiccups.I really can't see spending the money now knowing there is going to be an entire shift away from PowerPC to Intel based chips. People can complain about Apple's Premium Price, but you pay more for a BMW rather than a VW too. Personally I like OS X better than Windows XP. Microsoft is about to release like a dozen versions of Vista in Q2 2006...that is going to be a damned nightmare, but I am looking foreward to the consulting revenue from businesses going, "Okay, now what the hell do I buy?". There is only two classes of OS X: 10.x and 10.x Server. Unless you really need the server side tools, OS X 10.4 will do you justice.

i dont have any problem with my windows pc as of now. it does suck when it gets infected with spyware and all that garbage. i reinstalled windows and went out and bought a spyware program and now its fine.

Well according to me Windows Machine will be a better choice!I think I will be one of those few people on the internet who will say that so bravely :huh:The reason I am saying is this that I know how to use Windows...I am very comfortable with that...I know how to keep my windows clean with spywares and viruses.I remeber that it's been only 2 times that my computer got infected with a virus or a spyware! :shocking: isnt it.I am saying all this...because most people fear of these things only...crashing and all...your computer will crash if you'll install all kind of useless softwares.Now as your need is so less then I think you must go for a windows machine...because I am sure you must have used a windows machine more than a mac based machine. So, go for comfort.You may be running here and there to get it fixed...if at all it gets bad..but for windows you will get 10 advices right over here in this forum!I hope I have made my point clear :) If anybody has any question..you are free to ask it.

Basically I will need:
- A good word-processing program.
- Good photo viewer and editor.
- Video editor.
- POP3 program.
- Nice internet browser.
- Chat client that can handle MSNM, YIM, and AIM.

Thanks.

Hi have used a windows pc for years at both home and work and then i tried my flat mates mac a year ago and went out and purchased a mac book and haven't turned back since !! Every thing you listed above is exactly what i was after in a mac and it does them all. I did get the intel based mac book to run those windows specific programs on a dual boot setup for work development.

You can get mac office to make sure all your current windows documents are compatible even though macs i'Work still works fine.

Oh and plus they look way cooler !!

I have to hand to Apple now with the Mactels. I still do some consulting in the summers while I'm in grad school at a video production company that was 100% mac, and they still are 100% PPC on the editing side because the Protools aren't in universal binaries yet. However, the office just switched to shinny new iMacs and we also bought a couple copies of XP pro to turn the machines into Dual boot to install our lone copy of Premiere Pro. (Sometimes we get projects in Premiere and need to do some work to get them into Final Cut for our production line). We used to keep a couple HP's on hand just for Windows when we needed it, but now they've been given to a couple employe's for their kids. (2.4Ghz P4 with 2GB of ram, good gaming machine for $100...)I'm still on a PPC 1.25 Ghz G4 Powerbook with 2GB of ram because I do some video editing still on a limited basis (I create video biographies for people to earn $$$ during grad school and because I enjoy hearing other people's story, especially the last of the WWII vets that will soon be gone.) Anyway, I plan to get a new Macbook pro next summer and hopefully that will be it until I finish with my PhD around 2011...hopefully.