xisto Community
kc8yff

Mac / Windows: Whats The Best ?

I felt like that just from making the switch from Mac OS9 to Mac OSX. OSX was a pretty vast deviation from what I'd been used to but it won't take you long to figure out that it really is very simple and efficient.As for emulators... *cough*MacMAME*cough*

I felt like that just from making the switch from Mac OS9 to Mac OSX. OSX was a pretty vast deviation from what I'd been used to but it won't take you long to figure out that it really is very simple and efficient.

As for emulators... *cough*MacMAME*cough*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed. There is also a version of SNES9x for Mac OSX. Not to mention ports of linux emulators.

Yes, SNES is very fun on the Mac....

Posted Image

I love Donkey Kong. Not the stupid N64 version, but classic DK. Anyway, back to the topic:

I had the same thing "switching" to OS X. I have used GS/OS then Mac OS 8 all my life (well a little Commodore and Windows too) until about 5 months ago when I got my iBook. I'm still finding features, but it has been very easy to figure things out. It has a kind of systematic way that controls, features, and files are organized that just makes you breath easier. One great item is the Drag N' Drop. Nearly everything can be controled using this simple, visual method for example:

want to make a new book mark?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Want to get rid of it?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Simple, the way you would think it should be!

i have used both mac and windows recently and i have to say i really like mac because they are great for video editing and the one that i was using was extremly fast-i think it was the dual procesor. i do like windows a lot also for every day things and downloading programs because there is so much more programs for windows. it all depends on what im doing on the computer.

Mac, is good for editing movies, and photos, and stuff, but I love the windows, and always will. I have an old mac from 1990, well its my parnets, dang you can see how time has just passed by since then, all the upgrades and stuff.

I like Mac computer's designs, it looks nicer than window.Also good for image editing, moives.but it cost too much for mac computer.I got both mac and window. Now i use window computer more often than mac. Don't know why.

I like the look of a mac but hate the things, the OS isnt very helpful at the best of times. Its slow and costs a bomb to repair.

I prefer Mac becaus the OS never crashes!!

No it just gets very slow and unresponsive but it still working away

Windows just has too much bugs.

Spend a little time and those can be solved

Don't know why.

Mac's a living nightmare to chop and change things while working? Yup
My 0.02p

Mac is maybe better but in the end, almost all programs and utilities are linked to microsoft! It's a petty. Also with firefox i notice that some things simply do not work like internet banking and like. Microsoft abuses its monopoly... and that's a shame.

Firefox rules!

The thing I want for Mac is for them to see their OSX on normal PCs rather than having them only to the specific Macintosh computers, which I think are too expensive and not what i'm looking for (to fit in with the rest iof my stuff).If they did this not only would they be able to compete with Windows; but they would get themselves noticed much more.

You forget that Apple is not a software company.Apple is a hardware company. MacOSX is a tweaked up version of FreeBSD (https://www.freebsd.org/) thet make their money from selling the hardware.If MacOSX ran on x86, who would buy ppc.

For those complaining about price, go get a mac mini. Including the cost of software it costs about the same as any random computer, but it looks nicer, isn't loud, and you don't have to worry/deal with malware.The weakness I see in the mac lineup is the step up from the mini. It is a huge jump to the imac. That, and there low end powermac's are overpriced.

Or.. if you are a bit of a computer p0rn star you can install MacOsX on your PC.If i could get my hands on a *Free* copy of OSx (i swear i will pay for it if it works, and i like it)i would....1) install my own super cut down interpretation of Linux From Scratch.On an old 1.2Ghz machine with a 10 year old hard disk, i manager to get a Linux From Scratch Install to Boot in just over 6 seconds... but if i only installed the requirements for the Mac Emulator, it would have ben smaller, and on my new comkputer, boot almost instantly.2) install the mac Emulator.3) install MacOsx.Aslong as their is a Linux Driver for your hardware, it will work.Last time i looked, the MacOSX emulator was claiming to emulate at 97% the speed that native code runs,so for example by 2.4Ghz Athlon would run OSx asit it was a 2.3Ghz CPU...Which Aint Half bad !!!If anybody Knows how i could get maybe a Trial version of OSX to try this out on, i would be more than happy to Export my Linux From Scratch to some kind of Install CD, and post a tutorial.I just dont want to risk buying OSX, only to find it doesnt work as well as i would hope,just incase i have problems returning the product with the excuse "yeah, i dont have a Mac, i was truiing to make it run on a home brewed linux distro"

For those complaining about price, go get a mac mini.  Including the cost of software it costs about the same as any random computer, but it looks nicer, isn't loud, and you don't have to worry/deal with malware.

The weakness I see in the mac lineup is the step up from the mini.  It is a huge jump to the imac.  That, and there low end powermac's are overpriced.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I want a mini-mac, for only $500 thats a good deal, and whats really cool is you can open the case yourself and not void the warrenty so i can upgrade the ram and the hardrive myself without voiding the warrenty, anybody want to loan me $500 at say oh -100% intrest, in other word i don't even have to pay you back the $500, lol. I willl get one to try out when I can get $500, the only thing i really don't like about macs is they are too expensive, until the mini-mac that is, but I cannot even afford that, just my luck!