xisto Community
kc8yff

Mac / Windows: Whats The Best ?

I don't think there is really a best. Whereas Mac's excel in the media department and security, the Windows excels in the other departments like DTP, WP, Spreadsheets.I have not yet used a Mac computer, but I think I prefer Windows. Although I do a lot of media work, I prefer the GUI of Windows. And my computer doesn't crash (it's specs are high and I keep it maintained).

I totally agree with you. I think people that switch to macs DO go back. Unlike their ads say "Once you go mac, you will never go back."This isn't true.In an ideal world, you would use both. Use Macs for productivity, Windows for multimedia.I think the reason why windows dominates the world shares in operating system because of this. They capitalises on entertainment, and it appears to be working.More people tend to rather have fun than be working.I agree.

In an ideal world, you would use both. Use Macs for productivity, Windows for multimedia.

I think the reason why windows dominates the world shares in operating system because of this. They capitalises on entertainment, and it appears to be working.

More people tend to rather have fun than be working.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You, sir, are being silly.

Windows is not for multimedia. Macs have always been, and continue to be, the multimedia champs. Outside of games, they are easily better than windows. The only reason they are weak at games is because they just don't have as many due to marketshare.

"Most people" are not gamers. In the real world, computers are used primarily for work, sorry to burst your bubble.

The reason why windows dominates is through illegal business practices on the part of MS (convicted), and because Apple was HORRIBLY HORRIBLY mismanaged for about 10years (the 90s). Once they brought Jobs back, who actually knew what he was doing..well...you see how things have changed.

I don't think there is really a best. Whereas Mac's excel in the media department and security, the Windows excels in the other departments like DTP, WP, Spreadsheets.

I have not yet used a Mac computer, but I think I prefer Windows. Although I do a lot of media work, I prefer the GUI of Windows. And my computer doesn't crash (it's specs are high and I keep it maintained).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Twitch, You are totally wrong. Ask any windows users who used microsoft office for mac 2004, it just blows office for windows away 200miles away. It has a better GUI,faster.more funtional and much less idiotic than the windows version.

I'm quite amazed at the number of mac supporters in this board! I would have never guessed!

Agreed, some things on a PC is just better, like game compatibility, ... but you know, never having to worry about a virus, seeing everything anti-aliased, having a stable OS that I can hardly crash (I used to crash my PC most of the time. Doing the same things as I do on a mac. In fact I do more on a mac than I used to do on my PC), and I think most importantly, getting huge levels of support on mac forums everywhere.

Actually, I belong to the camp that feels that Apple is so special and good precisely because they have control over both the hardware and software side of their products.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am also suprised at the number of mac supporters. I get the impression that games have always been a major selling point for the PC, which was a good marketing strategy. Marketing strategy seems to be the main reason for PC dominance. Microsoft's enemy making bussiness practices is enough to guarantee that Microsoft and consequently all PC users, will be a target for talented programmers, although its dominance might be a sufficient reason for being target number one. Of course, the lousy programming (by Microsoft) makes it a nice fat juicy lamb for the slaughter anyway.

That said, I must now confess that I use only PCs at home. I am at home on Unix, and I am familiar with Mac and linux. I dabbled with linux enough to recompile the kernel for some special features I wanted, but that was long ago. Linux seemed a good idea for an interface with my work on Unix machines at the university. However, Linux was took too much effort to overcome new hardware difficulties.

I think this control over both hardware and software that chiiyo thinks is so great about the mac is its ultimate downfall. Yes it makes the mac more stable, but then of course it would. No challenge there at all. In the end it is all about community. The Mac is too small minded. By trying to work with an open market of hardware manufacturers, Microsoft is embracing (seems like strangling sometimes) a larger community.

In many ways the Mac represents a lot of what I hate about Windows (which after all is a Mac ripoff). I liked the simplicity of DOS, though I reconized that the limitations were too great. I did not like the point and click junk and largely felt that the Mac was great for dummies but then only a dummy would use one. The problem with the mac (and its ripoff, Windows) is that like any enormous program that tries to do your thinking for you, ultimately makes you feel like you are caught in a giant beaurocracy that does the weirdest things for unknowns reasons. Now, of course, I have had to accept Windows (shoved down my throat), and I have very slowly begun to learn how some of it works.

In summation I would say that the Microsoft OS is a happy (if perhaps mediocre) medium between the excessively opaque and controlling system represented by the Macintosh and the do it yourself system represented by Linux. It seems to be a compromise that the largest community of people have been able to settle on, and it is that community (by no virtue of Microsoft) that makes the PC unrivaled.

However, my gratitude goes to the struggling competitors who help to keep Microsoft working hard for their unearned monopoly.

For me it is a close race. Mac seems to be better for video editing and has a pretty interface (mac os x), but the truth is that window is the mainstream os. there is just more programs and comunication avaiable with windows.

mitchellmckain, just wanted to comment that your analogy is one of the most unique and yet quite true one that I've seen regarding Macs, Windows and Linux, that of a spectrum where Macs represent strict control, Windows in the middle, and Linux being extremely free. That is different from the typical analogy of Windows on one side, and Macs and Linux on the other side being the "alternative" OSes. In a way, I do agree with you. Apple is a company that would control both their software and their hardware tightly, and as a result, would create a product that would only appeal to a section of the market. In the beginning it was a small section. Maybe that's why mac fans are considered a cult? *grin* But by advertising and by leading people using the iPod, Apple is trying to increase that section.

...but im stickin with windows and linux till someone destroys microsoft

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ignorance is the only reason I can think of anyone actually could actually like microsoft. "Destroy Microsoft" fill me with such a nice warm feeling. To kc8yff I say stand up for your principles and get a Mac. Don't cave like most people.

Of course, that reccommendation is faint praise, because, in fact, you are sacrificing a bit when you opt out of the Microsoft empire.

Joking aside, I could never reccommend switching from an OS you have become comfortable with, unless you want to broaden yourself. It is a hateful and miserable experience, much like moving to another country. You will survive and come out of it stronger, and one day you learn not to regret your decision. But if you are of sensitive temperment or prone to suicide don't do it. Of course if you were considering switching to from Mac to Windows the prospective misery would be 100 times worse. I would'nt reccomend that switch unless you had absolutely no choice at all, or if you wanted something like a future in computing industry.

By the way, as much as the thought of Microsoft's downfall brings joy to my heart, I do not think this will happen. I believe that an investment in Microsoft is one of the best you can make. I think that Microsoft has made a serious amount of investment in future development and I think that counts for a lot. I do not mean to imply however that the other major OS's do not have a future. Unix looks solid and Linux is on the rise, and if the posts here are any indication then Mac is looking good as well.

I really like the look of the new (old) Mac Mini, even though it does come with an older version of Mac OS X.As for the new OS X - Tiger - it looks awesome. The fast user switching animation (with the cube) looks brilliant, and the whole dashboard thing with the widgets seems to be the most beautiful, and most useful thing on the planet.Coupled with the fact that you can download Firefox and use it on Mac, I love it!!!

You bring up some interesting pionts. I just have a few questions.

In many ways the Mac represents a lot of what I hate about Windows (which after all is a Mac ripoff).  I liked the simplicity of DOS, though I reconized that the limitations were too great.  I did not like the point and click junk and largely felt that the Mac was great for dummies but then only a dummy would use one.  The problem with the mac (and its ripoff, Windows) is that like any enormous program that tries to do your thinking for you,

I don't see what your problem is. Isn't that the purpose of a computer? To do work for the user?

...ultimately makes you feel like you are caught in a giant beaurocracy that does the weirdest things for unknowns reasons.  Now, of  course, I have had to accept Windows (shoved down my throat), and I have very slowly begun to learn how some of it works.

In summation I would say that the Microsoft OS is a happy (if perhaps mediocre) medium between the excessively opaque and controlling system represented by the Macintosh and the do it yourself system represented by Linux.  It seems to be a compromise that the largest community of people have been able to settle on, and it is that community (by no virtue of Microsoft) that makes the PC unrivaled.

However, my gratitude goes to the struggling competitors who help to keep Microsoft working hard for their unearned monopoly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could you give some examples of how Mac OS X do too much?

Also, you say that Windows does so well because it pleases the biggest group of people. Back in the 90's Apple was having some trouble and was putting out some pretty bad stuff. Meanwhile Microsoft was doing well and gained a big market share. At that point the contest was over. Microsoft won the OS wars on good bussiness, not got tech. More people were familiar with Windows, so those that didn't want to explore their options choose Windows. And more programs were made for Windows (because more people had it.) this led to more people using Windows. Which caused more programs. More Widows users. And so on. It's always been about business which is why Linux has been able to compete with Windows so much better. Linux is free (can't beat that price) and it is available to that large market (anyone with Windows, no new computer required to try it out.)

As far as quality goes, I think any OS is petter than Windows. I personally prefer Mac OS X.

Notice from qwijibow:
ive merged the topics "Mac vs Windows", "Windows vs Mac" and "Mac/Windows which is the best" into the same topic. The titles were the same, as were the thread contents.

Basically I will need:

- A good word-processing program.

- Good photo viewer and editor.

- Video editor.

- POP3 program.

- Nice internet browser.

- Chat client that can handle MSNM, YIM, and AIM.

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's no doubt that MacOS can do all of what you mentioned about. But, there another thing you should really consider. Maintaining and upgrading capabilities. I'm certain that its easier to get support for Macs from hwere you are, but what if something as simple a your video card should go? For PCs you can get it anywhere, and you can choose for a range of brands and prices to fit your current budget. For the iMac? Do you think it would be just as easy to get?