xisto Community
kc8yff

Mac / Windows: Whats The Best ?

I dunno but i use my Windows more than my mac [more compatible with games on windows]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say that you are not so much using windows so much as just using the games. Very little of "windows" is relavant in a game. The only thing being used is directX(if that. Games that use openGL basically just use input and sound drivers and such).

I would say that you are not so much using windows so much as just using the games. Very little of "windows" is relavant in a game. The only thing being used is directX(if that. Games that use openGL basically just use input and sound drivers and such).

I agree. Games could be programmed for almost Any OS.
Have you ever played Unreal Tournament 2004 In windows and Linux ???

The Windows version uses DirectX, The Linux Version uses OpenGL.
The games look identicle, i would have theough the completely different graphics architchture would have shown slight differences.. but nope.

The windows version does run a little slower in terms of Frames per second... But thats probably due to the fact that in Linux i was using the 64bit bersion on my MAD64, and in windows, the 32Bit version on my AMD64.

But whats with all the Mouse Lag ???
in windows98, all my directX games used to perform fine in terms of Frames per second, but directX caused an insane amount of Mouse Lag (half like 2, and UT) however switing the vidio options to OpenGL fixed it.

When i started using windowsXP, it looked like they had fixed the mouse lag, but then Half Life 2 came out, and as soon as i pushed the hardware hard with the display settings, FPS suffered a little, but mouse lag apreared again.

Personally, i prefere to program OpenGL, and i prefere to use it if given th option in Games :P

Which do you prefer and why??

I prefer Mac becaus the OS never crashes!!

--------

Posted Image

Apple forever

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest i think that Windows is one of the better operating systems; HOWEVER, i think that you are all right when you say that it has too many bugs because it does. I think that is unfortunate that they cannot get their things together to fix a good version of it. I do not like macintosh because it has very little programming and other type of fun programs to be able to play with and experiment with. I think the line of programs is quite small and is not compatabl with everything out there.. and windows is because of the market it has.

Thanks,

CHris

OS-wise Mac OSX is by far the superior system. It's nice and stable with Mach/BSD underpinnings and the GUI, which combines the best features of old MacOS and NeXTStep... That being said, the whole menu bar at the top of the screen doesn't work well on a modern hires multitasking system. It was great on a singletasking OS running on a 9 inch screen, but in the modern era, it just doesn't work. That's the only qualm I have tho. I really wish that they had gone ahead and finished the PC version of OS X rather than abandoning it after a couple of Betas...

That being said, the whole menu bar at the top of the screen doesn't work well on a modern hires multitasking system. It was great on a singletasking OS running on a 9 inch screen, but in the modern era, it just doesn't work. That's the only qualm I have tho.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what? And how does the menu bar at the top make is less able to multitask? Should it be at the bottom like Windows Task Bar or at the top of each window like on a Windows application? I don't see what difference that makes. Can you explain that to me. I'm just wondering.

It should be attached to the window like in windows/most *nix setups. that way you always know what program's menu you're using. The problem with a menubar at the top of the screen is that it can be confusing, to me at least. i guess, the best system is actually like in KDE where you get to pick where your menus go.

Windows is a lot better and it will always be. It is faster and has better quality. Also, I have this computer to play games on. Mac barley has any games, while Windows has them all.

Windows is a lot better and it will always be. It is faster and has better quality. Also, I have this computer to play games on. Mac barley has any games, while Windows has them all.

this is a common misunderstanding. windows doesnt *have* games.
games makers simply use the win32 API.

the gamess could easily be programmed instead for GNU, BSD, SOLARIS, MacOSX, whatever.

Plus, Windows is a good 10 years behind other operating systems in areas such as file systems.

Windows is the only Operating system i know of that degrades over time, and needs to be de-framented. and MS has shown no interest in fixing this problem. even the long awaited windows Long horn will still use NTFS.

windows was the last OS to catch up and release a 64bit operating system.

and almost 30 years behind other operating systems in true Multi-Tasking.

however windows is definatly the most used home operating system, but common doesnt mean better.

My Vote is with the MacOSX.

It should be attached to the window like in windows/most *nix setups. that way you always know what program's menu you're using. The problem with a menubar at the top of the screen is that it can be confusing, to me at least. i guess, the best system is actually like in KDE where you get to pick where your menus go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To me it doesn't make too much difference. If I got to choose, I would still use Apple's setup because that one little bar at the top acts as the Task Bar and as a menu bar at the top of each window and it updates dynamically according to what application you have on top. And since I always know which application I'm using, I know that it's the right menu bar. And if you really aren't sure you can always look at it:

Posted Image

I know there are other personal preferences and all those people that are used to have a different menu bar for every window. Just a few thoughts.

we use mac os x at our school...it is nice but hard for me to get used to considering that i have used windows all of my life...mac makes things so much easier, faster to get to apps, faster to do everything...but i still love windows since i am used to it and able to do all my programming in windows but cant figure out anything in os x still...if mac were to make a hybrid os like lindows/linspire then i would consider installing that on my laptop-if it supported my hardware which is another thing that i dont like about mac os's...i cant install on any of my comptuers so i cant really mess around with the os other than at school....and that has its limitations...overall mac is on a roll...but im stickin with windows and linux till someone destroys microsoft

yes that is true...the only time i have been on a mac is here at school and it was ok...i mean, i was a little confused and all with the single click and the menu bars being hidden but i liked what i saw.i would love for them to come out with an os that i would be able to install onto my computer so that i can "mess" around with it and get used to itthat is what i am kinda doing with linux...i have dual booted my laptop with mandrake linux and windows xp so that i can continue to do my daily work and still be able to mess around with linux every now and then...but mac is doing a good job...and microsoft needs to be taken down...i cant stand microsoft

MAC... worth it with its price..try use mac and feel those quality..good for audiogood for graphicgood for vediogood for flimgood for programmergood for web developergood for ..........................................just check out, will you?

You forget that Apple is not a software company.

Apple is a hardware company.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that this was pasted a long time ago but actually Apple is both a software company and hardware company. iPhoto, iMovie, iCal, iTunes, QuickTime, Safari... these softwares are created by Apple or at least a company that is owned by Apple. :P