xisto Community
kc8yff

Mac / Windows: Whats The Best ?

I want a mini-mac, for only $500 thats a good deal, and whats really cool is you can open the case yourself and not void the warrenty so i can upgrade the ram and the hardrive myself without voiding the warrenty, anybody want to loan me $500 at say oh -100% intrest, in other word i don't even have to pay you back the $500, lol.  I willl get one to try out when I can get $500, the only thing i really don't like about macs is they are too expensive, until the mini-mac that is, but I cannot even afford that, just my luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the bit about voiding your warranty for opening it up is not true. You only void your warranty if you BREAK the mac mini while opening it up. They don't want to pay for people being incompetent, which makes sense to me. Go ahead and get one and upgrade it yourself!

Definately the Mac. :)

Anyway, as MTF said, the Mini's nice, and cheap. As for the model line: Doesn't Applet still offer the eMac starting at $800, or did they dump it? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They still offer it, but its beign fazed out. But really, its not an intermediatry between the mini and the imac. It has the same internals as the mini but with a built in monitor. So, really its just a mini+ monitor, and the mini is more portable and looks neater.

So, what they really need is an 800 G5 mini.

Macs are great machines and if you're looking to buy one don't forget about Apple's education discount. If you're a student (you must be in college) or a teacher or work for a school you can get a good discount. It's about 10% off for most products. That means you can get a nice Mac min for only $449 USD. I think I might just get one...(also you can get 10% off with the education discount if you want to buy a new iPod!)

Wow... and all ive been using my student card for is 10% off beer :Dwhen you say pc's are more compatable, compatable with what ?pc's are definatly more common, but digital camera's / printers / usb / firewire devices can work on both.

I think Mac is good for video editing, sound recording, listening to music, lots more! Windows is more compatible with games and free softwares on the internet, which is still quite true nowadays... I prefer windows as the system is easiler to use as I've been using it for a very long time...

although i dont agree with the use of the term 'compatable'...For Free and open software, nothing is more *compatable* than BSD / GNU/Linux.

I'm quite amazed at the number of mac supporters in this board! I would have never guessed!Well, I've used Mac OSX for over a year now, and I never want to go back to the PC. Agreed, some things on a PC is just better, like game compatibility, and some of the reasons I have for not switching back is purely because I'm too used to the way the mac works, and yes, the fact that my powerbook looks better than the other laptops out there, DOES help... but you know, never having to worry about a virus, seeing everything anti-aliased, having a stable OS that I can hardly crash (I used to crash my PC most of the time. Doing the same things as I do on a mac. In fact I do more on a mac than I used to do on my PC), and I think most importantly, getting huge levels of support on mac forums everywhere.Actually, I belong to the camp that feels that Apple is so special and good precisely because they have control over both the hardware and software side of their products. Because they manufacture the hardware (or at least, know what exactly is going into their computers), they can finetune their software to work hand-in-hand with the hardware. Which is why I usually don't advice people to install Mac OS X on their PC. What's the point?Of course, I might be under the wrong impression here...

Which is why I usually don't advice people to install Mac OS X on their PC. What's the point?

Of course, I might be under the wrong impression here...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, you are under the wrong impression if you think people can install OSX on their PC. Granted, there are projects to let you try (like pear PC), but they run....slowly. To say the least.

Tell em to install a user-centric linux desktop like Ubuntu and then teach em how to install Wine.

Growing up I have always used a PC because I did not like the Mac OS (OS 9.0 or lower) But when Mac came out with OS X I must admit that Mac had improved the system and I think that OS X is better than Windows XP in some ways. However I still use a PC from time to time just because it is still the most used system in the world. Other then OS's Mac seem to be, me at least, more stable then Windows XP. Also it seems like there are more hardware that you can just plug in and use without loading any drivers for Mac's then for PC's. It seems like almost every PC hardware needs a driver to it and installing them seems to take a lot of time. Other than all of this I just think that Mac's overall are better than PC's. I know that some people will disagree with what I said but if you think about it ANYONE can find something that they don't like about anything is they just think about it long enough. :P:P:o

The mac is always good but windows i just easier to leran but i want that one who talked about linux from scratch i will send him the cd and he will send me that proggie i dsont understand how good he could get that emulation. I used pearpc but it was to slow but this guy make a hope in me to again install Mac OSX on a PC.Or was it an April hoax?

nope, you can install macOSX on a PC with linux and an emulator. but like the frog already said, it will be slower (but cheaper than buying a Mac)

nope, you can install macOSX on a PC with linux and an emulator. but like the frog already said, it will be slower (but cheaper than buying a Mac)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Slower is an understatement. Macs can emulate a PC much faster than vice versa(yay risc architecture). Think 1/10th speed if you are VERY lucky. Installing OSX can take 10 hours emulated. On my laptop it takes 2 hours to install windows with an emulator(Guest PC).