xisto Community
madcrow

Does Anyone Still Run PC/MS/DR-DOS ?

Yeah those exist, I remember we had a module in the university where we were taught DOS and UNIX at first semester, started with DOS and how Windows is booting and learnt about things which weren't so interesting about DOS, some theory/history and some commands and some files and how it all works, about UNIX also the same, just that more was told about it's commands and differences between DOS and UNIX, but practically the homeworks or whatever they were called needed to be done with BAT/CMD files and also with REGINA REXX :mellow:It was a very easy module in the first semester, but I think not for everyone.

COOL MAN DOS running till now and not got bored yetnice but i dont think dos is that user friendly and that functional as windows.....move on man

Dos is the basic so i think you just cant say leave it and move on...... Maybe i think first basic than move on...

I ran PC-DOS on some really old computers (a 486 desktop that I owned, and a 386 laptop that I still own) but then moved to MS-DOS. I run MS-DOS 5.0 on the 386 and the last version of PC-DOS that I ran on the 486 was MS-DOS 6.22. I used QBasic quite a bit when I learned that there was a variant of it titled QuickBasic that had the ability to generate executable files that could run quicker than the interpreted programs that QBasic was capable of. The code was exactly the same so it made switching between QBasic and QuickBasic rather simple. Both were similar to the Edit.com program that was included with MS-DOS so with similar interfaces, usability was rather simple.Right now, you can find Free-DOS included on some computers that do not have Windows as an operating system. You can get a choice between Ubuntu Linux and Free DOS. Although Free DOS can run pretty much anything that PC-DOS or MS-DOS can run, it also provides a graphical interface, has the ability to connect to TCP/IP networks and the Internet, and has more software available for it than PC-DOS ever did. FreeDOS can run on old hardware and new hardware alike so you can also get out your old desktops and have then running FreeDOS. You can also toss in a network interface card to connect to your router for Internet access and perhaps you can even hook it up to the rest of the computers at home.

A few months back or you can say years back i tried FreeDOS. This project of freedos was kept alive for BIOS owners and some other hardware manufacturers to test the hardware. I also found that they still have few members and their projects running on their site. They have working text editor for FreeDOS and few minor apps too. They are much improved version of MS DOS. I know MS DOS and most of the terminal based systems are now history but FreeDOS is still good project. I appreciate terminal inside linux and i would love to run FreeDOS inside windows. I don't know if they're going to keep this in their new project.

Ahem.I muss confess that every day I use ms-dos commands in a command text of each one of my Crosoft Windows system.A lot of things are so easier in a text command-line.Ping my gateway or ping my router.Net use myremotedisk /droute add something somethingelse.Strangely, in most of cases, the linux and the ms-dos commands look very similar, so no reason to neglect them.

I also am using shell/command line at work and home, as I am used to it, but I confess that I prefer to use GUI applications if possible, especially on Windows OS, I used to use 7zip as command line or used to write a batch script for some frequently used operations ;) But times have come, that I do a lot of mouse clicks to egt the same effect, sometimes a console is much better than GUI, it depends what you do though.Listening to music, watching movies and etc. seems to be much easier through an interface, like NUI or GUI.My colleague is still using an ms-dos like file manager/ftp client as it's much faster for him to do everything with the keyboard than with a mouse :unsure:

I'm still working in order to surf the internet using my old good 286.

Yeah, OK, but the start topic initial essential question was : how are you currently surfing? With ms-dos command line instructions, or with windowed graphic browsers? "286" is the physical layer, but what man-machine interface are you using? Smart command lines, or dummy click-click things?
Regards
Yordan