xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

How Long Have You Been Programming ?

I think I won ! I wrote my first program 30 years ago. The language was named ALGOL, like ALGOrythmic Langague, was mainly a university language for learning purposes. Then, I worked in a Physics Research Lab, and we wrote essentially Fortran programs. Do some of you remember Fortran ? And I still work with fortran when correcting some of my customer's programs...RegardsYordan

I've just bought Java for Dummies, the 900 page book - £25.99, but well worth it. I'm gonna pause PHP for a while and get to grips with Java.

I wrote my first really bad website in the editor of Netscape, when I was 12 years old, so that's 4 years ok. It was not many months later, that I reached the limits of this wysiwig editor and wanted to do more, so I learned to write code. I think I learned all with the German/French/Spanish documentation selfHTML. It includes HTML, which I started with of course and then I think I went to Javascript, because I wanted a flashy site ^^ Now, I've learned to write standard-compliant and I'm using JS, CSS, PHP as someone who knows the basics and can create anything when he looks it up.I started with PHP like 2 years ago, when I got the first PHP-supporting free host, I guess :–)

I think I won ! I wrote my first program 30 years ago. The language was named ALGOL, like ALGOrythmic Langague, was mainly a university language for learning purposes. Then, I worked in a Physics Research Lab, and we wrote essentially Fortran programs. Do some of you remember Fortran ?

And I still work with fortran when correcting some of my customer's programs...

Regards

Yordan

1064329101[/snapback]

Oh hell yeah - you surely won.. by a long shot.. For me it was some 16 years back.. just nearing your waist, agewise :P Yeah I do remember Fortran quite clearly having had loads of fun time with Fortran-77 myself.. also during those days we have a very barebone version of Prolog (Turbo Prolog) .. which resembled Turbo C 2.0 (Borland) very much... played around with that one too trying to create a medical diagnosis system. Oh dude, but I miss Gee Wiz BASIC (GWBASIC) the mooost... I'll never get rid of it.. I still have version 2.3 and 3.0 lurking around on my HDD. Those are the real memories man... ;)

Gee Wiz BASIC

Really nice ! I never heard that way of naming GWBASIC. Of course, I played with Q-basic and GW-basic as ersatz for fortan (cause at those time fortran was hardly available for personal computers).By the way, did you know about Lisp ? This school of artificial intelligence, where the main program was able of upgrading itself.

I started programming with Pascal at school. I think I was 12 or 13 at the time. I learnt it quite fast and actually did my friend's projects as well, for money of course ;) After that I didn't do any programming for years... actually next time I started was when I got into university 4.5 years ago. I learnt C and after that many other languages. I mainly do C++, Java and PHP now.

at 2002 end i started using php, but only the basic stuff, next year we needed to use pascal, but I was playing CS with my classfriends, so did not do a lot. ;)

CS with my classfriends

(gosh, now we have the quote/quote encapsulating automatically performed! How nice !
My question is : was this worth it ? Are your very performing at CS now ? Same level as your classfriends ?

About the programming life. I've been written programs for 5 years, since I was a 6th form school boy. Now, I'm in high school.My first programming language was Pascal - which took me 6 months to learn. The second one was Visual Basic - in 3 months. After that, I stoped couting the time.Now, I'm 15 (and going to be 16) years old. I can use many programming languages. I usually use 2 or more languages in each project. The main ones are C++, Java, PHP.I'm learning Linux anyway. I'm new to this. So every help is welcomed.

I'm learning Linux anyway. I'm new to this. So every help is welcomed.

No real need for learning Linux. when you master C++, Java and PHP, Unix or Linux start being something encapsulating the program you are writing. You don't really need to know Linux, you know how Linux wants you to implement your tools.And some tools coming with Linux are more useful from others, but this is not pure Linux, this is another kind encapsulation, which gives more or less comfort to one Linux distro compared to another one.

I guess I started when I was about 12, teaching myself html, but that really isn't true programming. From there I was fascinated with this, and created many sites and became more advanced. I took many programming classes, such as VB 6, C, and C++ classes. I have always loved messing around with things. Now I will be continuing and learning C#. Hopefully it won't be too bad because of my knowledge with c and c++ :)

Heh, seems like everyone in the world is moving to higher level languages except me. I'm moving to low level languages, about as low as you can get without writing machine code (though I'm looking into that, believe me), Assembly.~VizP.S. if anyone knows where I can go to use a punch card computer, please let me know

to use a punch card computer

As far as I remember, you don't directly use a punch card computer.You punch the card on a card puncher.
then you create a batch card set.
then you read this card set in a card reader, which is connected to a computer.