xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

How Long Have You Been Programming ?

Well, I'm currently (as of two weeks ago :unsure:) 16 years old, but I started programming at the tender age of 7. I was first taught QBasic by the big brother of a friend, and I moved on to teaching myself other languages. I don't quite remember when I learned HTML, but it was definately there somewhere. Afterwards, I learned Javascript, in quite an interesting way: by copying "window.alert()" commands from other websites into my own. Somewhere along the line my parents bought me a JS book which I treasured and read thoroughly quite a few times. Anyways, here is a list of all languages I've dabbled/fully occupied myself with (not in a chronological order):

QBasic (quite a lot)

Javascript (a whole lot)

Visual Basic (a whole lot)

Python (just beginning)

C(++) (never built a major application with it, but quite a lot)

ASP (a lot)

PHP (recently started, but managed a lot)

mIRC Scripting (a lot, even thuogh I never built a full script)

Java (just a little bit)

ActionScript (thwarted by my inability in designing!)

I do think that's it... :D

It all started in school with Frontpage 5 years ago. Several moths later my big brother bought book, which helped me studing html and javascript. I liked scripting very much, so I wanted learn more. Maybe 3 years ago I started learn PHP. Now I know very much about html, javascript, php and mysql. Also I know more than something about ASP, ActionScript and Turbo Pascal.

Uhhh wow, well I have only been using computers for the last 4 years so I'm a bit behind some of you guys. I got into things pretty early though.I started off with playing around in mIRC on MSN Chat when it used to be free about 2 weeks after I got my first computer (Win95, 2m Vid Card, 333mhz Celeron, 64mb RAM, heh heh).I learnt how to do mIRC scripting and got into doing dialoged script heavily for abot 6-8 months and then came across Visual Basic 6. I pretty much left the mIRC/MSN scene and it was around the time that MSN introduced having to pay for it and such around that time anyway.I did VB6 for about a year or so, just making MP3 Players and stuff that I used myself, played around with WinSock and such doing IM applications etc.I finally had, had enough of VB6 and Runtime dependancy's so I did some searching, tryed C++ (Bit too difficult for me at the time), Python (God awful POS). And then finally I found Borland's product Delphi (Object Pascal) which I love and hug each and everyday :unsure:, I haven't switched since, so about 2 and going on 3 years now. I do use C++ often now aswell for Dynamic Link Library's and even played around with QBasic (What fun) on Windows 3.11 on an old laptop when my computer died and couldn't get it up and running for about a week.I also learned HTML/JScript/VBScript/CSS/PHP/MySQL and various other web programming and probably other scripting languages aswell along the last 4 years.

See, our schools are crap. The closest we get to programming is using a standard calculator to make math lol.However, this said I started programming only a couple of months ago. I started out with C, didn't like it and have moved onto C++. I'm also taking up VB for college. I'm comfortable with the scripting language Javascript, markup langauge HTML, styling CSS and currently I am learning PHP. I've also tried ASP and I fairly comfortable with it (I can 'parse' it and understand but when it comes to making applications I get so far and stick). So really I am learning three languages at once - PHP, C++ and VB.Pretty bad, I know, blame it on the education system in the UK and the extremely periodic change of our scheme of work.

@twitch, our schools are crap too. >< They offered Java and C++, but then the C++ teacher cuts class every single day. He never bothers teaching, and simply gives everyone an A for no good reason. At least the Java teacher is better...Anyways, my first language was Java, then I learned C++, though I didn't really learn much of it. Afterwards I moved on to Javascript because I thought that would be a good addition to my current collection of HTML and CSS. Eventually I decided I needed to learn PHP, so I learned that, and it turned out to be really easy. I'm probably going to try to learn C and review my very crappy C++ next. :unsure:

Heh heh, I learnt purely by Trial And Error and Searching the internet.I don't like Books or Teachers much, Iv'e probably learnt more my way but that's because I am motivated to do it.

Gees, you guys make me feel positively geriatric. I started programming at the grand old age of 19 ( although that was 20 odd years ago), on an IBM XT with 640K of RAM and a 20MB hard disk the size of a routemaster bus. I used Lotus123 and 'coded' in Clipper, a compiled version of dBaseIII. Then came the object orientated revolution and I progressed through the Visual Basics 3 to 6 and on to C# breifly flirting with Java. A bit of ASP2 now but most of my work is done in C#, I love overriding and overloading, but I can't stop calling methods functions, must be an age thing.Riv.

Nice, 7 years is pretty solid.How has your PHP/mySQL learning been going? I caught onto the basics fairly quickly but like you I have previous experience in quite a few programming and scripting languages so it makes it that much easier to jump to.

I'm 23.I started programming when I was in high school.The learning process was slow but iono.Here is what I learned up to now:1) Logo: This was like etch-a-sketch =)2) Pascal: The original learning programming language..how fun..=D3) HTML (I think this counts): WEbdesign like a high student would4) Assembly: This is soOoo tedious..oh noes... I miss a line of code..6) C/C++: In college, the class dreaded by students as a Hard class.7) Java: Wow , this is easier to program with all this intellisense like things.8) SQL: (This counts too ;)) This is totally different then everything else to me.9) ASP.NET: CooOool, this is a different idea of the programming structures I have learned.10) C#: Whoa, wait, this is just like java.11) VB: What the hell, I don't like this badly untersed language.12) PHP: Neat, this is different than ASPThere you have it. What I learned in all my years of programming since High school.

I started programming when I was 13.I started with PHP, then later I tried learning VB, but I didn't like the syntax of it so eventually I started learning C++. And I still have a lot to learn:)I also know html, sql and js but those aren't programming languages:p

I can't believe that I never replied to this topic. I've seen it several times and assumed that I already replied...

Well, it all began for me in the early 1980's. I guess it was about 1981 or 1982 when we got our first computer. My uncle worked for Radio Shack and was able to get a discount on a TRS-80 Color Computer which he gave us for Christmas. My Aunt who is only 9 years older than me had learned some BASIC in high school and showed me how to fill the screen with a repeating message using a for loop! Within a few years, I had learned how to reproduce some children's music with the computer. It was just a matter of selecting the right tone and duration for each note. I managed to do a few basic images but the screen resolution was very low. You can get a better idea from the wiki link above.

While I rather enjoyed "playing" with the computer, I never had any programing classes in high school. I don't even think that there was any programming classes available when I was in school. :rolleyes: By the time I was in high school I had gotten a new computer. It was an Apple IIc which was used and was compatible with the Apple IIe's at school. Once I started college and found that PC's were the way to go, I rarely turned the Apple on anymore.

As a freshman in college in 1992, I had a C programming class for the engineering degree I was working on. Although I had no idea why, I was able to follow the examples and write the required programs each week without any trouble. That was until we started working on functions. I couldn't seem to figure out how to write or use functions in C. I guess that either my instructor wasn't able to explain the concepts to me in a way that I could understand or I wasn't able to understand the concepts because it was beyond my ability at the time. Looking back, I can't understand why I had so much trouble with it.

After several major changes and a transfer to a different university 1995, I was introduced to the internet. As a result, I learned HTML by comparing the source code to the page displayed on the university website. From there I learned some basic JavaScript skills and made a few specialty calculators. I kind of lost interest in web design and programming again for a few years until my employer needed someone to update their website in 1998 or 1999. I updated the website for a while and during that time I added a link script written in PERL. I had began playing around with PERL script around that time so I knew where to find such a script. My internet provider offered a free web page (maybe 5 MB) with a cgi-bin so I began experimenting with various pre-written PERL scripts. I got pretty good at modifying PERL scripts but lacked the know how to write one myself.

I was in need of a web server that had PERL available and didn't have any money. I came across a PHP programming book that described the steps needed to turn any PC into a Apache based test server. I installed Apache, PHP, MySQL, and of course PERL and began to develop a project using a PERL script I had found. In 2003, just as I was finishing up the project, I had a hard drive crash which caused me to lose all of my work. I was devastated! I replaced the hard drive and set up a bunch of backup systems and began playing with PHP. It didn't seem to matter much though since I couldn't afford paid hosting and didn't want to risk a bunch of money hoping that my website would manage to pay for itself.

Finally, in 2005, I got an interest in doing a website that would help me keep in touch with old friends. Since it shouldn't have been too large or fancy, I decided to get a free web host. I looked around a tried a few and finally found one of the free web hosting indexes. There I selected the options I really wanted from a web host and found Xisto. Once I got hosting here, I began experimenting heavily with PHP.

Since then, I have become pretty good with PHP but still learn something new about it each week. Recently, I finally figured out how to use classes in PHP with limited functionality and have been writing my own functions for a while. As a result, my scripts have become much more efficient and I am getting pretty good at error checking. Using classes and some more advanced PHP techniques, I have started undertaking much more complicated projects. One of my earliest projects was the Free Web Hosting Application. Looking at the source for it now, I can't believe how much better I have gotten at this.

I recently started looking into AJAX but probably won't do anything with it until the web browser developers figure out a way to make their browsers follow standards. Drives me nuts that you have to write line after line of code just to make the script work in more than one browser.

So I guess I have been doing some kind of programming for about 25 years now.

Recap:

BASIC

LOGO

HTML

C

JavaScript

PERL

PHP

MySQL

vujsa

the only programming i no is little bits of basic, pascal and c++.i dont count these as programming but i also no html and css pretty good. im trying to learn php at the moment.i really cant be bothered with actual programming, i rather web languages.

I have 7 years programming since I was 15 years old. I start programming in Pascal and Basic.Then I try Javascript, HTML and CSS. Then I learn lingo for macromedia director, and then actionscript for Flash.All of these was in highschool and by my own.Then I learn Java, C++, Perl, PHP, VB 6, VB .net, Prolog, scheme, c--, assembly language in collage. And of course SQL for db. Also OQL which is similar to sql and is suppose to be used for object oriented databeses.

Well i really only know c++ so... Anyways heres a little hack for the game GunZ i made. Its auto updating and still works so if you want a copy just ask and ill be happy to compile you one.

/*								Created By Karmen									Credits:			Waryas				-	For Discovering How To Call Namespace Functions			James(Pilfer);				-	Good Friend Of Mine			Nick (OneWhoSighs);				-	Well He Showed Me A LOT Of What I Know Now			Chase(HughGRection);				-	Got Me Started On C++			Jacob(PhailZ);				-	Buys Me Pizza :D*///Definition#define version "1.0"#define GetTwoKeys(keyone,keytwo) if(GetAsyncKeyState(keyone) &0x8000 && GetAsyncKeyState(keytwo) &0x8000) /* -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- *///Include files#include <windows.h>#include <string>/* -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- *///Non-Precompiled Headers#include "stdafx.h"#include "SignatureLocator.h"using namespace std;/* -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- *///DLL Loading ModuleHMODULE g_hLocalModule = NULL;/* -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- *///pZGame / MyCharDWORD *pZGameInstance;DWORD MyChar(){	if( pZGameInstance && *pZGameInstance )		return *( DWORD * )( *pZGameInstance + 0x50 );	return NULL;}/* -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- *///MUID Structstruct MUID{		unsigned long firstID;		unsigned long secondID;};//MUID TypesMUID* Char1ID = new MUID();long uidChar;/* -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- *///Indentifing The Function Callstypedef void (__cdecl *ZSetHPTypedef)(int);ZSetHPTypedef ZSetHP = (ZSetHPTypedef)ZCharacter__SetHPSignatureOffset;typedef void (__cdecl* ZChatOutputFunc)(const char* lpcMsg, int iType ,int iLoc,  DWORD dwColor);ZChatOutputFunc ZChatOutput = (ZChatOutputFunc)ZChatOutputSignatureOffset;/* -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- *///User-Created Functionsvoid SetHp(int Value){	DWORD Char = MyChar( );	_asm	{	 mov ecx,Char	 push Value	 call ZCharacter__SetHPSignatureOffset	}}void Print(int Color, const char* lpcFmt, ...){		char szBuf[0x4000];		char Buf[0x4000];		va_list vaArgs;		va_start(vaArgs, lpcFmt);		_vsnprintf(szBuf, sizeof(szBuf), lpcFmt, vaArgs);		va_end(vaArgs);		szBuf[0x4000-1] = 0;		sprintf(Buf,"^1%s",szBuf);		switch(Color) //0.Gray, 1.Red, 2.Green, 3.Blue		{		case 0: ZChatOutput(szBuf, 1, 0, 0x808080);			break;		case 1: ZChatOutput(szBuf, 1, 0, 0xFF0000);			break;		case 2: ZChatOutput(szBuf, 1, 0, 0xCC0033);			break;		case 3: ZChatOutput(szBuf, 1, 0, 0x0000FF);			break;		}	Sleep(10);}/* -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- *///Boolsbool bGod=false;bool bXTC=false;//Main DLLvoid Main(){	while(true)		{			GetTwoKeys(0x12, 'A')			{				if(bXTC)					bXTC=false;				else					bXTC=true;				Print(2, "YUM XTC! %s",bXTC ? "/Injected" : "/Oh **** Im Dead");				Sleep(1000);			}			while(bXTC)			{			GetTwoKeys(0x12, 'G')				{				bGod = !bGod;				Print(3, "God Mode Is %s",bGod ? "On" : "Off");				Sleep(1000);				}			if(MyChar( ) && bGod)			{				SetHp(300);			}		Sleep(10);		}	}}//DLL InjectionBOOL APIENTRY DllMain( HANDLE hModule,DWORD  ul_reason_for_call, LPVOID lpReserved ){	if(ul_reason_for_call == DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH)		MessageBox(0,"Done!","XTC By Karmen",0);		CreateThread(NULL,NULL,(LPTHREAD_START_ROUTINE)Main,NULL,0,NULL);		return true;}

Im not posting the offsets as i dont want this to be leeched or taken. But feel free to learn from it as long as i get credits.

What does this do?
- Simple Godmode.