xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

How Long Have You Been Programming ?

I've been programming for 2 years :D I started with C++ nevertheless it was too difficult for me and i switched to Pascal and then to C. After getting some experience in DOS-programming i started learning WEB-lanugages. First were PHP and SQL. Now i'm learning WinAPI functions and Windows-programming at all :D

I dealt with programming-logic since I was in 5th grade (events and triggers/ web design). I will be a college freshmen in September 2006. I have taken a computer programming course with QBasic as a freshmen year in high school. I got rejected in the second year of computer programming and I wasn't satisfied because there were no seats left... Oh well. All three years, people in my high school acknowledged me as the best, fastest, and most efficient programmer. I come from a poorly funded or utilized high school. So... I am not quite so proud of myself. I know there are programmers out there that are 5x better than me... Above Average Students complete Calculus AP (2) by their Junior year. Other than that, the school is not very special. There is not a lot AP courses and if there is, there is only one class. So, I feel a bit envious those who have the opportunity to learn science and programming early.

Edited by NewGuyinTown (see edit history)

I know there are programmers out there that are 5x better than me

Not quite shure. There are several definitions of a good programmer. From my point of view, a good programmer understands quickly what he has to do, understands customer's needs , expresses clearly the developping times, and gives a working program wich a clear doc.

I started of with GW Basic in standard IV and after learning it for 6 years till class X, I moved on to C++. Till here all of it was a part of the school curiculum. But then when I got my own PC at home, I harnessed my skills and have learnt VB, HTML, Java, XML and VC++ since then.

Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)

Fortran and Basic using punch cards in the early 70's, then tinkered with APL, Assembler and PL1 enough to know it wasn't for me. All that was at University. Worked at a Construction Company for 6 years during which time they elected me the Resident Wizard of Electrons since I knew how to change a Tape Drive (yes, a reel to reel). Fourteen reels and about 4 hours to do the weekly backup. A 400 Meg disk Drive was the size of an Office chair. Cobol was pretty big back then. Got involved with some Application Design and Coding there. Left in 85. Didn't touch the things again until a year and a half ago. I've learned some HTML in the past year and now its onward and upward into php and probably some mysql. Its like reliving your Youth.

Hasn't been too long for me... well I guess it depends on your perception of time really...Started oooh, 6 years ago? Grade 10, GW Basic B) haha. My high school had no money and barely had computers. Tiny little town. So the teachers didn't know that the language was pretty outdated, regardless gave me an intro into programming. I never did anything fancy with it since the teacher was just following along in her book and I had no real resources to get much more info on it, but still it gave me the bug.Then gr11-12 was me learning web stuff, not really programming languages but html, a tiny bit of javascript, stuff like that. Kept me interested but wasn't very amazing stuff.Finally got to university, CS == freedom. First year I learned java and VB/SQL, and then last year I started learning C. Now I've learnt/am learning C++ and PHP for the job I have right now. I wouldn't really say I "know" any of the languages, but I know lots of each... there's so much you can hypothetically learn about them that I always feel weird saying I am fluent in one because I know there are people who only use that language that are much more adept with it. UNtil I get done university though I doubt I'll get to hone my skills toooo much with any one. Regardless I'm getting a good taste, probably get another language under my belt next year and whatnot. Regardless I don't see me giving up on programming anytime soon ;)

I've been programming for 2 years now and became fluent in Scheme (now moving on to LISP), C/C++ and Java, and what can I say? I can't get enough of it! :PI know it may seem too little time for so many languages, but I've been doing a lot of self-practice and many languages aren't THAT different from one another. Like Scheme and LISP, C/C++ and Java. Same paradigms, just a few syntactic details that need sorting! :oDon't be discouraged by any troubles you may encounter, you'll get there with a bit of hard work, programming isn't trivial. That's my advice. :o

in the age of 25 for me now, I just have the ability of flashing script and vb for application

Have you really spent 25 years programming flash scripts and vb ? Then, you are the older programmer among us !

Most programming has not been around for 25 years, like flash and vB.He said he is age 25 and only knows flash and vB programming.As for me I have been programming for 2 and a half years.I know some PHP. I work well with HTML, Javascript and CSS.

I've heard of algol, never dabbled in it. Although I might eventually, researching old programming languages is a hobby of mine. My favorite language is assembly. And I'm currently looking for a punch card computer.~Viz

Currently 16, started making webpages in Frontpage in about grade 9, moved up to Dreamweaver a bit later. I basically learned HTML because Dreamweaver was sometimes a bit reluctant to do things my way, so that taught me basic discipline. Next I tried C++ in grade 10, which I failed miserably (I mean *miserably*) at.Kinda gave up programming anything for a little while, then in grade 12 I started learning PHP. Since PHP is interpreted, it actually gave me feedback on runtime errors (unlike my C++ programs, which just crashed). Made me feel a bit better when I got stuff working :PI'm currently doing MATLAB for my engineering/science course and picked it up pretty well, so I can say I know two real languages (PHP and MATLAB) plus HTML and CSS, the last two inside-out and back to front.